Author Topic: Brymen BM869, short review (small update added 2013-01-19)  (Read 119220 times)

Offline jancelot

• Regular Contributor
Re: Brymen BM869, short review (small update added 2013-01-19)
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2014, 03:32:02 pm »
Actually the LoZ is not quite necessary for me. What I really need is a very good electronics multimeter that measures voltages, ohms, and the usual stuff up to a point like mA, uA, capacitors and such. Would like to use it in my house and car as a general purpose as well.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 03:40:08 pm by jancelot »

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2014, 01:19:30 pm »

Best bargain seems http://www.tme.eu here in europe, since Fluke is extremely priced, maybe because you pay taxes twice, once in U.S.A. an other in the E.U.?

Anyone else use these suppliers?
Are they ok to use?

Offline jancelot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2014, 01:56:43 pm »

Best bargain seems http://www.tme.eu here in europe, since Fluke is extremely priced, maybe because you pay taxes twice, once in U.S.A. an other in the E.U.?

Anyone else use these suppliers?
Are they ok to use?
Take a look here

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/bad-service-endemic-in-the-whole-world-now-anyone-deal-with-tme-eu/

Offline HackedFridgeMagnet

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »
I bought the 869 and the 257 meters from tme maybe a year ago.

It was a cheap, quick and painless deal. But you can't really tell much from one deal where everything went smoothly.

As for the meters the 869 is a total pleasure to use. But it is quite big, so I use it more as a lab meter.

I got the 257 just for taking it around in the field. I don't like it much, not sure why. The auto ranging and the tiny symbol for mV.
First time I used it was low light and I thought I had 70v but had 70mV.
Though it is tough and a handy size.

Offline LightagesTopic starter

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2014, 08:11:06 pm »
I got the 257 just for taking it around in the field. I don't like it much, not sure why. The auto ranging and the tiny symbol for mV.
Though it is tough and a handy size.

Huh? There is no mV range on the Volts function. If you want mV you have to select the mV function.

I love my BM257. It is a perfect size for the field. It is built like a tank. It is has more than adequate input protection. It has almost every function you might need and more and is accurate enough for almost everything practical, for the field. It is lacking TRMS DC+AC but instead only AC, and the diode test voltage is only around 1.6V.

The BM869 is, IMHO, the best buy for an all round test, bench, and field meter.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2014, 11:12:31 pm »
Yes I have maligned my bm257 unfairly.
The BM257 doesn't do this at all. I checked my meters it was actually my fluke 1587 which does this, and it sucks.

A couple of things I dont like about the BM257 are the left position on the dial should be off. This always catches me out.
It's great it has the efield detector but it's not obvious how to use it so I need to carry my instruction book around with me. I don't use it much and so I can't remember. IMO it should be fairly obvious.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2014, 11:38:11 pm »
Sorry if this is a hijack, but this seems to be where the Brymen questions are answered?!

Is the BM857A capable of temperature measurement?

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2014, 11:53:41 pm »
No.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2014, 11:57:23 pm »
I love my BM257.  I find myself reaching for it more often than my Fluke 87V for most things. The larger display but smaller overall size makes it very nice to use.  Resolution and accuracy are good enough for most of my admittedly undemanding electronics work.

I can't justify another high end multimeter now - but if I was looking for one the BM869 would be at the top of my list.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 04, 2014, 12:03:06 am »
 There's a fair bit of love for the 257.
Seems strange but you do get attached to bits of equipment that work well and you can just rely on.

I must admit I'm pretty keen on my 869.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2014, 02:28:02 pm »
No.
Thanks, it's pretty easy to get lost in these specs/models, and am still a little lost tbh.

On a tight budget and with no meter of any note (or safety features!), I was thinking that two meters being the minimum.
Would I be missing something important from the 869, if I instead bought an 857A and a 257?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2014, 01:06:29 am »
Would I be missing something important from the 869, if I instead bought an 857A and a 257?
The 85x series is the predecessor to the current 86x series. Counts are the same (50k/500k), as are the features for like models (857 vs. 867), but the newer models have a dual display. Between the 857 and 869, there will be a slight reduction in features. Temperature measurements are missing on the 857 for example (same with the 867).

I'd recommend going to Brymen's site, and downloading the datasheets and do a side-by-side comparison (scroll down on the linked page).  :-+

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #62 on: July 05, 2014, 02:43:15 am »
The other thing to do is download the spreadsheet that Wytnucls has so generously spent his time making to see the differences in the meters.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

I think your idea of "a tight budget" is a bit bigger than most tight budgets.  ;D

With  a BM857a and a BM257, you will have a pair of meters that many people will think is an extravagance. The BM257 will have temperature and EF field detection, the BM857a will have the True RMS with AC+DC and much higher accuracy. The back light on the BM857a is so bad that calling it a bad would be an insult to the word bad, but it is a great meter in the end.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: July 05, 2014, 04:27:19 am »
The other thing to do is download the spreadsheet that Wytnucls has so generously spent his time making to see the differences in the meters.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

I think your idea of "a tight budget" is a bit bigger than most tight budgets.  ;D

With  a BM857a and a BM257, you will have a pair of meters that many people will think is an extravagance. The BM257 will have temperature and EF field detection, the BM857a will have the True RMS with AC+DC and much higher accuracy. The back light on the BM857a is so bad that calling it a bad would be an insult to the word bad, but it is a great meter in the end.
I always forget about Wytnucls's spreadsheet.  :palm:

The backlight in my 857 definitely borders on laughable, but it does work.

Probe quality should be mentioned too, particularly regarding continuity for the 857 (included probes result in a scratchy tone; problem reduced and even vanished with various quality lead sets). FWIW, the 869 does come with top notch probes, which will save a bit of funds (~15 - 20USD, 30USD if it's a basic kit).

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2014, 11:48:12 am »
Thanks for that info guys! :)
Looked at the spreadsheet and currently reading the thread, learning quite a few things as always.

Funny how when a plan looks good, it gets fuzzy with more information ;)

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
« Reply #65 on: September 09, 2014, 12:58:07 am »
Talk about the Brymen BM869 and equivalents seems to have died down lately, but since I just jumped into the "buy a new multimeter" phase, I went and ordered one today.  But now I see that there was mention that there was an revision done to some of the Brymen models and they added the suffix "S" to the model number.  I ordered mine from tme.eu website and am wondering if I will be getting the latest revision model or get one from the old batch that does not have the upgrade.  Would anyone here maybe know if Brymen has replenished dealers with the new revision "S" models by now or is it hit or miss which version I might get?
You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #66 on: September 09, 2014, 01:04:11 am »
I would assume that if your order has the old model number that it will be the old model. But who knows? I hope al goes well with your order. I know when you get the meter, whichever revision you get, you will be happy.

Offline larsdenmark

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #67 on: September 09, 2014, 12:42:48 pm »
Talk about the Brymen BM869 and equivalents seems to have died down lately, but since I just jumped into the "buy a new multimeter" phase, I went and ordered one today.  But now I see that there was mention that there was an revision done to some of the Brymen models and they added the suffix "S" to the model number.  I ordered mine from tme.eu website and am wondering if I will be getting the latest revision model or get one from the old batch that does not have the upgrade.  Would anyone here maybe know if Brymen has replenished dealers with the new revision "S" models by now or is it hit or miss which version I might get?

The only version listed on tme.eu is this one: BRYMEN BM869S

Offline iloveelectronics

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #68 on: September 09, 2014, 12:50:47 pm »
As far as I know both the non-s and s versions are still current, and are both in production. The s version seems to target mainly the European market only, to satisfy their latest safety standards. I still only carry the non-s versions in my eBay store because there's a price difference between the 2 (from Brymen) and I'm not sure if it's really worth it, knowing the the original version is already built to a rather high standard.

My email address: franky @ 99centHobbies . com
My eBay store: http://stores.ebay.com/99centhobbies

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2014, 01:45:38 pm »
Okay yes, I did see tme.eu has listed in their description that the Brymen part number for the meter is BM869S where the model number still is a BM869. I also received a PM from a nice member informing me that they did get a BM857 from tme.eu and it was the latest "S" model with also the improved bright LCD back lighting instead of the old poor dim green LED's version.  Good to hear.  I just hope I do get the latest revision "S" model also.  Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone!
I've gotta say the complete silence with no updates nor email acknowledgements of status after placing the order with tme.eu is un-nerving but from what I can read from all others that bought from tme.eu, everything always worked out in the end and all was fine.  So I feel confident that my transaction will go smooth too.  We'll see.

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2014, 09:17:14 pm »
 ;D My BM869S meter was just delivered today via DHL. It is a model BM869S marked on both the meter front plate as well as on the box that it came in. The delivered outer shipping box was kind of crunched and banged up. Inside was only crunched paper as filler and the actual meter box was a bit crunched too.  But the meter seems fine.  I will have to check it all out in time and hope it lives up to expectations.  TME.eu has done a fine job delivering this to the USA from Poland right quickly. So I can confirm they delivered the goods, and pretty quickly too.  I took some pictures of the meter face and back and will upload them when I get the chance to transfer them to my PC and resize them.  Thanks TME.eu store!

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
Re: Brymen BM869S, Pictures
« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2014, 09:38:17 pm »
Here are the pics of the Brymen BM869S that I received from TME.eu order.
The front panel now says BM869S instead of old BM869.  It has a tape sealed across the meter halves, so I am not breaking it open until the 1 year warranty is over. So sorry no pics of the inside changes.  Just pics of the outside.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2014, 09:53:40 pm »
It has a tape sealed across the meter halves, so I am not breaking it open until the 1 year warranty is over.
Don't blow the meter 10A and mA fuse then.

Offline unbiased

• Contributor
« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2014, 09:58:51 pm »
It has a tape sealed across the meter halves, so I am not breaking it open until the 1 year warranty is over.
Don't blow the meter 10A and mA fuse then.
Yeah, that's a good point! I read the thread about the dumb ass designers that don't make the fuses easily accessible in the rear compartments on many meters.  This one is one of the dumb designs with regards to replacing fuses.  I guess its all about designing to a price point and they chose to skimp on giving us that option.
I don't think that they should void the warranty then if someone has to replace a blown fuse and has to break the calibration tape seal they put on these meters.

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2014, 11:24:42 pm »
I am no expert in European consumer law but....

I believe that TME has absolutely no right to negate a function of a product. One of the normal uses is to open the meter to change fuses. I believe that you have the legal right to remove the sticker and use the meter as per its instructions and still keep your warranty.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf