Author Topic: Best DMM for bench DC work under 100$  (Read 11852 times)

Offline RifterTopic starter

• Contributor
Best DMM for bench DC work under 100$
« on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:08 am »
Looking to replace my aging Radio Shack DMM from 15 years ago, as its literally falling apart.

Im by no means an expert in any electronics related field nor do I have any official training but am a hobbyist with some knowledge of Integrated DC circuits, and have enough automotive electrical knowledge to wire a whole car from scratch and replace the entire electrical harness(have done that multiple times for off road vehicles upgrading wire and components to marine grade to eliminate corrosion for long term water exposure)

Now I do mostly bench work with DC circuits, LED's and Laser diodes, no mains work at all. Also will be used in automotive electrical repair. One of the main uses for my original DMM was checking SMT caps/resistors/components on boards to repair them(motherboards, video cards, computer networking equipment, TV's, microwaves, anything electrical that breaks my friends bring to me to repair)

Ability for precise readings on very low amperage and voltage and reading small caps being most important.

I have done some research but im finding my lack of general electrical knowledge is making it hard for me to understand the differences in some of these meters.

So was wondering if anyone could suggest a meter that would suit my needs?

Thanks you very much for your time I hope im not to much of a newb to get any help :)

• Contributor
Re: Best DMM for bench DC work under 100$
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 01:47:45 am »
is the Extech 505 a good meter? It seems well armored to take some drops when using outside on vehicles.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 03:09:53 am »
If you can step up slightly to the Brymen 257 (~$135) do so. It is a night and day better meter that basically anything under  $100. Safe, reliable, accurate.
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 04:17:19 am »
If you can step up slightly to the Brymen 257 (~$135) do so. It is a night and day better meter that basically anything under  $100. Safe, reliable, accurate.

I'd have to agree, especially for electrical work - I really wouldn't go cheaper than that.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 04:20:47 am »
I would have to say that if all you are going to do is bench work and no high energy stuff, then $100 might get you two meters and more capability than you thought. Well actually this should be good for even household wiring and some high energy work:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni-T-UT139C-True-RMS-Digital-Multimeter-Temperature-NCV-Backlight-/171213085325?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27dd185a8d
And you can buy with confidence from that seller because he is a respected member of this forum.

Some will say the UT61E is a better buy, and I might agree depending on the use. The UT61E has PC logging, higher accuracy and 22,000 count display. But it does not have much input protection, no back light, no temperature, and it uses 9V batteries. The UT139C seems to be accurate from the reviews, and it also has a non-contact voltage tester.

So with a UT139C, you can actually get two meters shipped to your door for $100. This means you have two relative safe and well built meters with good features. You can measure voltage and current at the same time, or measure temperature and current, etc... IMHO, this is a best buy in a multimeter in the $50 range.

Or get a UT139C and this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digitek-DT-4000ZC-TekPower-TP4000ZC-Data-Logging-Multimeter-with-Temperature-/200912705694

And for under $90 you get a safe meter, and one that should stay on the bench but has PC connection included.

If you want to go over $100 as has been suggested and still only want to stay on the bench, I think there are other options than just the BM257S although I would also recommend it too.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:41:17 am by Lightages »

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 04:23:19 am »
is the Extech 505 a good meter? It seems well armored to take some drops when using outside on vehicles.

I, and some other people here, think that Extech EX series meters should be avoided based on bad quality control. Others think differently and love their Extechs.

Offline PedroDaGr8

• Super Contributor
  • A sociable geek chemist
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 04:33:39 am »
I can't disagree with anything that lightages said including the opinion on the EX  series. Between his and my recommendations, you have a good selection. It's up to you based on  intended usage. My recommendation, if you plan on working on higher voltage circuits. His if you don't . Full disclosure, I have two UT61E,  use them nearly daily and really like them.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 04:38:25 am by PedroDaGr8 »
The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." -George Carlin

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 05:23:05 am »
How did I know there would be a good option right above My price range, it looks like a well rounded meter looking at the spec sheet :)

So is the brymen 257 the clear winner if I would expand my price range to 150 or are there other meters in the 150 range to consider?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 05:41:31 am »
is the Extech 505 a good meter?
The Extech 505 is one of the multimeters that Dave reviewed in the $100 shootout. 

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/11/eevblog-99-100-multimeter-shootout-extech-amprobe-bk-precision-ideal-uei-uni-t-part-1of2/

The 505 is a rebranded CEM meter.  The 505 has no QA whatsover.  See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/gallery/craftsman-82003/

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 06:01:04 am »
is the Extech 505 a good meter?
The Extech 505 is one of the multimeters that Dave reviewed in the $100 shootout. 

http://www.eevblog.com/2010/07/11/eevblog-99-100-multimeter-shootout-extech-amprobe-bk-precision-ideal-uei-uni-t-part-1of2/

The 505 is a rebranded CEM meter.  The 505 has no QA whatsover.  See

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/gallery/craftsman-82003/

Yeah I have decided against the extech

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 06:40:56 am »
To stay under your $100 budget, Brymen are resold under many labels.

An example on ebay ...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131248488903

Obviously, the final price will depend on how many people bid.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 07:53:01 am »
How did I know there would be a good option right above My price range, it looks like a well rounded meter looking at the spec sheet :)

So is the brymen 257 the clear winner if I would expand my price range to 150 or are there other meters in the 150 range to consider?

I have been eyeing up these Brymen meters and am closing in a couple:
This older model is selling off cheaper and has very good resolution and protection.
Might fit the 150, not sure about currencies etc.
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm857a/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/#

Offline omgfire

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 08:21:03 am »
Now I do mostly bench work with DC circuits, LED's and Laser diodes, no mains work at all. Also will be used in automotive electrical repair. One of the main uses for my original DMM was checking SMT caps/resistors/components on boards to repair them(motherboards, video cards, computer networking equipment, TV's, microwaves, anything electrical that breaks my friends bring to me to repair)

- BM257 (diode test is not good for LED). BM827. BM857A
- UT139C + DE5000 LCR meter.
- UT61E + UT204 clamp meter + ESR meter.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:23:04 am by omgfire »

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 07:38:11 pm »

Im liking the spec sheet on the UT61E, so im thinking option 3 would be good for my uses, UT61E + UT204 and a cheap ESR meter(which will come in really handy for board repair, I cant believe I didn't think of buying a esr meter before you mentioned it)

Why is the UT61E so feature and accuracy rich yet so cheap? is there any glaring downfalls to it im not seeing?

Offline omgfire

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 07:51:53 pm »

Im liking the spec sheet on the UT61E, so im thinking option 3 would be good for my uses, UT61E + UT204 and a cheap ESR meter(which will come in really handy for board repair, I cant believe I didn't think of buying a esr meter before you mentioned it)

Why is the UT61E so feature and accuracy rich yet so cheap? is there any glaring downfalls to it im not seeing?

Comparing to BM257:
Input protection, but you mentioned "no mains work at all".
No temperature, but dedicated thermometers are cheap and let your DMM measures something else simultaneously. TM-902C, TASI-8620.
No Max/Min, no NCV, no LoZ, no jack beep, no fast update, no backlight.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:04:50 pm by omgfire »

• Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 10:02:42 pm »

Comparing to BM257:
Input protection, but you mentioned "no mains work at all".
No temperature, but dedicated thermometers are cheap and let your DMM measures something else simultaneously. TM-902C, TASI-8620.
No Max/Min, no NCV, no LoZ, no jack beep, no fast update, no backlight.

seems like the only feature I might use that it lacks is the min/max.

Which seems to me like  a good reason to buy a scope to really check things out thoroughly lol just kidding!

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2014, 12:46:38 am »
Max/Min is easy to implement on the 61E (at the expense of the relative reading), with some IC pin soldering.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 12:48:53 am by Wytnucls »

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2014, 11:48:56 am »
I think it is worth noting that the newer Brymen's (and their Extech type cousins) with the curved display lenses catch reflections from almost any viewing angle, and can make them difficult to read. I think I would look for something with a flat display lens. At most you might have to adjust the meter position slightly or bob your head slightly to get a given reading at a given time.

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2014, 06:21:11 am »
Went with bm257 from eBay seller and it shipped this morning, thanks for the input guys.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2014, 09:44:39 am »
Nice one.
Let us know how it goes if you could please, I am eyeing up a couple of Brymen meters (one a 257).

Offline Willem

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2014, 10:24:47 am »
I would have a serious look at Extech first and then Uni-t, but for a couple of dollars more recommend a change of hart and get a Fluke 115/7/8

Offline Willem

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2014, 10:30:40 am »
Just to add to my previous commennt... Brymen is very good (similar as Extech) but is hard to get hold of... perhaps I just don't have luck finding them.

Offline Yago

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2014, 11:54:32 am »
It depends where you are, often helps get purchase advice if you fill i country info on your profile.
If you are in The EU, then here is worth a look:
http://www.tme.eu/en/details/bm257/portable-digital-multimeters/brymen/bm257s/#

For elsewhere, there is a member here that has great respect that sells via EBAY shop or can arrange PM (I believe).
I think the chap is call Frankie, his username is ILoveElectronics, and his EBay shop is 99CentHobby (Those might not be accurate but close enough to find the chap, and someone may come along and correct me!).

Liked the Brymens because of decent input protection and accuracy/feature set.
I look at it, as the protection is for my safety and also increase the chance that the meter survive any of my mistakes.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2014, 03:11:04 pm »
Just to add to my previous commennt... Brymen is very good (similar as Extech) but is hard to get hold of... perhaps I just don't have luck finding them.

Actually I think you will find the reputation of Extech EX series meters here to be rather mixed. The reputation of Brymen here is very good. I personally would not buy an Extech based on their history.

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »

For elsewhere, there is a member here that has great respect that sells via EBAY shop or can arrange PM (I believe).
I think the chap is call Frankie, his username is ILoveElectronics, and his EBay shop is 99CentHobby (Those might not be accurate but close enough to find the chap, and someone may come along and correct me!).

Liked the Brymens because of decent input protection and accuracy/feature set.
I look at it, as the protection is for my safety and also increase the chance that the meter survive any of my mistakes.

This is who I ordered from, his ebay username is F-T-2000 now not Iloveelecronics but same store 99centhobby.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf