Author Topic: Mixed D-Sub w/Harting coax contacts 09692817140(M) - "Crimp in Tool Cavity B"???  (Read 575 times)

Offline wb0gazTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
I am assembling a DIY mainframe/plug-in extension cable for service use with the HP 8530B series sweeper and plug-ins. I need help identifying the correct crimp tool jaw type to use with the Harting coax contacts that are used in a mixed D-Sub 37 connector (details follow...)

There are two cables, one uses an Amphenol 64-pin data only connector (like a large "Centronix Printer" connector), the other (which I'm working on now) uses a 37-pin D-subminiature connector with mixed contacts (19 data, 3 coaxial). I have sourced all of the required parts (some time ago; the Harting mixed connector contacts longer in stock from what I can tell.)

The coaxial sections (there are three coax lines involved in the extender cable for the 8530B, I'm using RG316) use a solder/crimp male end from Harting (their part number 09692817140) and female end from Harting (their part number 09691817140.)

The datasheets for these two connectors are attached (one-page PDF each.) There are no assembly instructions in the datasheet, and so far I've not found any assembly instructions. The coax center is soldered (goes about 3mm into hollow tube in the connector's center pin body); the coax shield is crimped (a small additional part that slides over the back of the connector body.) The data sheet's only statement is "Outer ferrule: crimp in tool cavity B".

I want to be sure I use the correct crimp tool jaw as the Harting contacts are unobtanium at this point (and weren't cheap when I found them before). My crimp tool supports RG174/316 so I *think* the ferrule size would work with that, but I'm not certain.

Is there any definition of "tool cavity B" - particularly dimension that I could compare to my crimp tool's jaw options?

Thanks!

Dave

« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 10:16:45 pm by wb0gaz »

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
In the datasheet, open up the HARTING eCatalogue link in the top right.
Then, in the webpage, again on the right, there is a link to "Matching Products (Tools). This provides you the crimper (09 99 000 0503) and die (09 99 000 0508)
This is weirdly hidden for these products. The tooling for the HAN products is much better advertised for some reason.

• Regular Contributor
Yes, well hidden (scroll down in an inset window...) Thanks!

The tool itself has a PDF document which shows dimensions, so I should be able determine an appropriate jaw from there. It appears the distance across flats for "B" is 3.3mm; the existing crimp tool here has .1" (2.54mm) and .137" (3.5mm) across flats, so I'll look for a suitable jaw set for my crimper.

Thanks for the guidance!

Dave

Offline mkissin

• Regular Contributor
I wish more companies would provide accurate drawings for their crimp dies.

• Regular Contributor
Yes, is important information for sure.

Fortunately, realized my crimp tool had come with a second die set (long since filed away), and was able to find it, and the second set has 0.128" dimension, so I should be good to go.

Thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf