Author Topic: A multimeter with low Ohm resolution  (Read 6578 times)

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
Re: A multimeter with low Ohm resolution
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 08:34:25 pm »
I still couldn't sit through it.   :-DD

He really needs to switch to decaf and then learn a bit more about DMMs.  But I was curious and watched enough to see that he ended up with a 100+ mOhms reading of the GPU core on a known good unit.  But that still doesn't mean it behaves like a resistor--a V-I plot would be a more interesting bit of information.  Perhaps DMMs should offer that--a 0-10mA sweep graphing a V-I plot.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 09:12:47 pm »
I still couldn't sit through it.   :-DD

He really needs to switch to decaf and then learn a bit more about DMMs.  But I was curious and watched enough to see that he ended up with a 100+ mOhms reading of the GPU core on a known good unit.  But that still doesn't mean it behaves like a resistor--a V-I plot would be a more interesting bit of information.  Perhaps DMMs should offer that--a 0-10mA sweep graphing a V-I plot.
Aha, you've just come up with the reason to get into SMU territory - they're even more fun (and $$$) than DMMs.

Just to be clear, I suggested the "cop-out method" ("cop-out" because where is the fun in not using an excuse to acquire more TE?) knowing the limitations, but it sounded like the OP wanted to measure something pretty close to a dead short. I also commented on some of the limitations if you're not dealing with a purely resistive DUT. I probably should have noted that this is for things that you know can take an amp or so without sweating - my examples were big chunks of metal!

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2021, 12:06:13 am »
I probably should have noted that this is for things that you know can take an amp or so without sweating - my examples were big chunks of metal!
I designed a replacement current shunt for a low cost handheld meter.  In that case, the only choice was to test it under load as I wanted to see how it drifted.   

I have an odd ball Huntron meter that may work for the OP.  I've never done anything with it outside of test to make sure it works.  The basic idea is you use a good board for a reference. 

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2021, 05:31:15 am »
The portable (barely) Fluke 867B has a similar I/V component test, for troubleshooting faulty boards.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2021, 06:54:29 am »
the huntron will tell you there is a short, but it will not help a lot to localize it precisely.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2021, 12:05:53 pm »
the huntron will tell you there is a short, but it will not help a lot to localize it precisely.

I have used something like the following to locate shorts. There was a company who made them commercially.  Sorry, but it's been many years ago. 

https://www.edn.com/short-circuit-tracer-finder-uses-low-power/

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf