Author Topic: 4 inch display SAA-2N NanoVNA V2 3GHz with N-type  (Read 22187 times)

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
Re: 4 inch display SAA-2N NanoVNA V2 3GHz with N-type
« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2020, 01:47:00 pm »
If you add a metal case, be sure to check if it still meets the performance specifications with the case. There is a real chance it will degrade the port isolation unless you also add some RF absorber material to deal with reflections. Has anyone tested how the 2N version does in that regard?

On this one, crosstalk at 3 GHz is about -55 dB uncalibrated or about -60 dB when calibrated.  I haven't taken it apart yet but I'd be surprised if the housing is responsible for much of that. 

In any case, if -60 dB at 3 GHz isn't enough for you, you should probably spend more than $70 on your network analyzer.  :o

In any case, if -60 dB at 3 GHz isn't enough for you, you should probably spend more than $70 on your network analyzer.  :o

LOL
+1

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2020, 10:50:38 am »
LOL
+1
good point to notify us.. attached is noise floor for KC901V. comparing with picture from switchatbl, they are not far off, maybe spending more than $2K if even lower noise is needed :o btw, i'm browsing aliexpress for Nano 3GHz 2N with 4" LCD but with SMA connection at the bottom (more convenient for my setup... or top? is there setting to rotate view?) with SMA cal kit and coax set, but it seems like no model for that, only N connector as in OP. if possible i dont want to play more with N adapter i want to "uniformified" my setup to all SMA to reduce cost of cal kit, adapter etc in long run... anyone know such version? i actually dont need another N-cal kit, its useless to me. if there is no direct SMA connection, then its ok with OP version i already have a few N to SMA adapters, but having another SMA cal kit and cables will be nicer i can make comparison among them with Kirkby cal kit, which is much better than $1 hung low 50 ohm version.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:38:35 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2020, 03:34:16 pm »
1970s HP8754A with doubler is roughly -60dB at 2.7GHz. 

In case others chime in I should explain that this was with a 12dBish drive signal (measured +12.05). I normally just adjust the output power until the system has a stable lock.    At 2.7GHz, the test set will loose another 12 dB or so.   The doubler I am using is a Mini-Circuits FK3000 which has an additional loss of 12-17.5. 

https://www.minicircuits.com/pdfs/FK-3000+.pdf

By the time the signal reached port 1, it's greatly attenuated.    Attached plot showing the measured level at -15.4dB.   The drive strength will factor into the leakage and I just want to make it clear that the 8754A with this setup is a fairly low signal.   

Some time ago, we were looking at various construction techniques when building attenuators from discrete components.   I built up a multi-stage 50dB attenuator and show it on the 8754A.   This is really pushing the old VNA. 
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/20db-rf-attenuator-seeking-feedback-to-improve/msg2904942/#msg2904942

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 05:46:46 pm by joeqsmith »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2020, 02:38:15 am »
i bite the bullet and just make an order from tindie with SMA solt and cables to prove my support to the original pcb designer (OwwO), hopefully it is moddable to 4" LCD and ask how to do the FW programming, and i will build a setup rig for it, for my purpose... enough with nanovna browsing, time is of an essence for another project...
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 02:44:32 am by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2020, 11:21:33 am »
i bite the bullet and just make an order from tindie with SMA solt and cables to prove my support to the original pcb designer (OwwO), hopefully it is moddable to 4" LCD and ask how to do the FW programming, and i will build a setup rig for it, for my purpose... enough with nanovna browsing, time is of an essence for another project...
That's the one I bought; look back at my posts to see how I changed it to 4" display.

I have to say that the original 3.2"? LCD was close to unreadable for my old eyes, the 4" display I fitted is really good and I have no problems using it now.  I haven't got around to printing my 3D case for it yet though :(
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2020, 01:58:20 pm »
thanks.. to avoid hijacking this thread, i just post it there...

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2020, 01:51:25 am »
Isolation on the new boat anchor.  Output at 0dB. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 01:55:00 am by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: Mechatrommer

Offline jordi

• Contributor
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2020, 03:44:37 am »
Hello Everyone,

Nice thread. With a lot of effort I recently purchased a megiq VNA, which is a little bit more expensivehttps://www.megiq.com/products/vna-0460e. And I been impressed in how bad some of my RF products are (antennas, video transmitters and telemetry radios for hobby drones).

It came to my mind that a side by comparison would be very interesting -at least for me-, I'm happy to share some results. I just need a little help finding who is best supplier of the latest NanoVNA V2, so much information everywhere and so little time. Anyone?  ;D

Warmly,

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #58 on: September 14, 2020, 03:46:00 am »
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline aristarchusTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #59 on: September 14, 2020, 07:44:49 am »
Hello Everyone,

Nice thread. With a lot of effort I recently purchased a megiq VNA, which is a little bit more expensivehttps://www.megiq.com/products/vna-0460e. And I been impressed in how bad some of my RF products are (antennas, video transmitters and telemetry radios for hobby drones).

It came to my mind that a side by comparison would be very interesting -at least for me-, I'm happy to share some results. I just need a little help finding who is best supplier of the latest NanoVNA V2, so much information everywhere and so little time. Anyone?  ;D

Warmly,

For US

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=15_8620&products_id=75212

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=15_8620&products_id=75242

Aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001267696890.html

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2020, 07:54:33 am »
Google search "nanovna v2". I recommend waiting for the V2 plus4 which will have much faster sweep and improved dynamic range.
R&L and most aliexpress sellers are selling clones which do not support the original developers, and may not be compatible with the official firmware. Someone reported inaccuracies in S21 measurements on the unofficial nanovna v2 forum: https://groups.io/g/NanoVNA-V2/topic/a_problem_with_saa_2n/76758957
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline analogRF

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2020, 12:48:33 pm »
Google search "nanovna v2". I recommend waiting for the V2 plus4 which will have much faster sweep and improved dynamic range.
R&L and most aliexpress sellers are selling clones which do not support the original developers, and may not be compatible with the official firmware. Someone reported inaccuracies in S21 measurements on the unofficial nanovna v2 forum: https://groups.io/g/NanoVNA-V2/topic/a_problem_with_saa_2n/76758957

when do you expect that V2 plus4 to come out?

oh, and will it have a case? and at least 4" display (or larger)?

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #62 on: September 14, 2020, 08:48:08 pm »
when do you expect that V2 plus4 to come out?
oh, and will it have a case? and at least 4" display (or larger)?
you can go to the provided link for https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/nanovna-v2-aka-s-a-a-2/ discussion. this thread is specifically for 4 inch display SAA-2N NanoVNA V2 3GHz with N-type clone. in that thread there 4-7" LCD upgrade.

Offline VK3DRB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #63 on: October 13, 2020, 02:26:43 am »

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2020, 05:50:40 am »
Just waiting for it to arrive.   

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2020, 08:16:09 am »
Looks potentially great:

https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2-user-manual.html

Looking forward to user reports!

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2020, 02:02:12 pm »
Feb 1966 Popular Electronics,  "I'm studying this manual on transistors."   

Offline Hydron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2020, 02:45:43 pm »
Just ordered one, slow shipping as it sounds like using DHL would invite paying a DHL tax in addition to HMRC's (and my other recent purchases from china have been pretty speedy, touch wood).
Has already shipped, will report once it arrives.

Also, should move the plus4 chat to the non-clone thread maybe?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #68 on: October 16, 2020, 10:15:20 am »
I opted for the $25 DHL shipping - they incentivize that by including an 18650 rechargeable battery - I think that, for some reason, DHL will allow a single, fitted, battery to be included in the package but Speedpost won't.
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #69 on: October 18, 2020, 03:25:10 pm »
I compiled a recent version (2020-10-13) of the firmware for the SAA-2N if anyone is interested.

Edit: Removed the firmware. Look like there's some kind of bug where you can observe 1dB jump on S21. I recommend using the V2.74 blackmagic firmware with the SAA-2N. Can be found here: https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-versions.html.

Not sure what's the difference between the official Nanovna V2 firmware and the blackmagic one.

With custom firmware:

With blackmagic firmware:
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 01:15:11 pm by Kosmic »

Online Kosmic

• Super Contributor
« Reply #70 on: October 18, 2020, 04:44:17 pm »
I found some interesting documents on how to calibrate the SAA-2N. Most interestingly, the settings for the calibration standards are provided.

Edit: They were a error for the L3 and C3 value for the male calibration standard settings for NanoVNA-Saver. Make sure you use L3=-489.64 and C3=-616.87. FYI, the author of those documents is posting on groups.io/g/NanoVNA-V2.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 12:40:18 am by Kosmic »

The following users thanked this post: Kibabalu

Offline mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »
I've got a NanoVNA SAA-2N from Zeenko, and a V2 Plus 4 from Tindie (on order). I'm a retired EE and know the massive amount of effort and creativity that goes into these and I wanted to support both sides of the development from Hugen to OwO.

Anyway, I tried to find the nice RG142 cables that come with the SAA-2N, wasn't successful so ordered a couple N type RG142 cables from eBay. Long story short, don't waste your money  |O

For those of you that have the SAA-2N version and want additional RG142 cables like those that come with the SAA-2N, after requesting these a number of times from Zeenko and they are now available  :-+

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001824041694.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dXWwBnR

Best,
« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 07:58:17 pm by mawyatt »
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Kosmic, Kibabalu

Offline E63S4Me

• Contributor
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2021, 12:27:20 pm »
I looked on Tindie and couldn't find any on sale.

Is there a newer version of the NanoVNA that I should be looking for?

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2021, 11:25:55 pm »
I looked on Tindie and couldn't find any on sale.

Is there a newer version of the NanoVNA that I should be looking for?
https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline E63S4Me

• Contributor
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2021, 12:43:40 am »
I get an error saying Tindie can't find that page.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf