Author Topic: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project  (Read 3859057 times)

Sardarshams, BroMarduk, Davo013, indman and 20 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
Re: $20 LCR ESR Transistor checker project
« Reply #9500 on: June 16, 2024, 11:01:40 am »
Or you could adapt any old cell phone battery you may have handy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2024, 01:15:56 pm by Feliciano »

Offline Mecii

« Reply #9501 on: June 19, 2024, 05:14:03 pm »
I just came across this thread when I realized some of the manufacturers of these testers were producing fakes. I just received this one today and wonder if this is a fake or worth keeping. I have not yet had a chance to test anything since I received this at work and I will have to wait until this evening to test. Sorry, for the quick ask but this is a large thread and I will read more tonight but I was hoping for some quick feedback.

Thank you.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #9502 on: June 19, 2024, 05:46:50 pm »
Seems to be a genuine ATmega328.

Online Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9503 on: June 19, 2024, 06:04:00 pm »
May anyone tell me about this device?
2292153-0
2292157-1
2292161-2

It´s a great little device but it has one flaw: It reboots itself when *middle*-sized caps, around 100uF, are measured. I´ve read somewhere in the manual of the original device that there are a some brownout-protection registers in the Atmel that can cause this behaviour.

Any chance to fix this for such a clone device?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2024, 06:12:00 pm by Phil1977 »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9504 on: June 19, 2024, 07:14:45 pm »
Looks like a variant of the AY-AT/GM328A. To change the fuse bits you need an ISP programmer (e.g. USBasp), a programming software (e.g. avrdude), and also have to solder a few wires for an ISP header.

The following users thanked this post: Phil1977

Online Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9505 on: June 19, 2024, 07:30:57 pm »
Thank you!

Is there any tutorial for the ISP programmer you can recommend?

Can I set the fuses without deleting the code? Of course, it´d be best to program the original code - but how are the chances it directly runs on this hardware?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9506 on: June 20, 2024, 07:24:17 am »
There are tons of tutorials about programming an ATmega/AVR. Just run a search and include a few keywords of your specific setup (programmer, OS, ...). Usually the clone manufacturers set the lock bits, i.e. you would have to erase the ATmega. But this allows you to switch to one of the two OSHW firmwares.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 11:21:52 am by madires »

Online Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9507 on: June 20, 2024, 09:11:57 am »
I just realized YOU are the more or less main owner of this project.... So thanks for this wonderful code and I´m very glad to look for an ATmega&&non(Arduino)-tutorial on my own.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9508 on: June 23, 2024, 09:45:05 pm »
It´s a great little device but it has one flaw: It reboots itself when *middle*-sized caps, around 100uF, are measured. I´ve read somewhere in the manual of the original device that there are a some brownout-protection registers in the Atmel that can cause this behaviour.

It doesn't happens to me with the clone firmware. Have you tried with another USB power source, or using a battery? Else, you could use the OS firmware, overwriting the it came with.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9509 on: June 24, 2024, 03:40:06 pm »
Regarding the Fish8840TFT (the one with blue PCB and Z14 in parallel with Vcc):
Not having an SOT-23 regulator handy, I inserted a Resistor between Vcc and the 3.3V Zener (didn't modify the LCD data lines, thinking on the open collector option). The Voltages look reasonable and no longer overcurrent/overheating, but the contrast went too low. So I flashed indman's k_based-firmware (8MHz), but the LCD only shows different shades of white. One additional thing I notice is: while re-flashing, the background turns black, and then I can read white text on the screen (15V testing..., that would be needed to be adjusted on the makefile for this 33k/33k variant, as well as inserting the "$(OBJDIR)" compiler options on the older makefile).

What else would I need to modify to set the proper foreground/background colors? Or maybe this is a new LCD variant supposed to work on 5V and not 3.3V?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2024, 05:31:24 pm by Feliciano »

Online Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9510 on: June 24, 2024, 04:13:54 pm »

It doesn't happens to me with the clone firmware. Have you tried with another USB power source, or using a battery? Else, you could use the OS firmware, overwriting the it came with.

Yep, I´ve tried different power sources, I added additional decoupling caps at the CPU, I also checked the supply voltage with a scope. The 5V at the CPU are rock stable, all other tests are running perfectly but 47uF or 100uF caps can not be tested.

Caps <10uF and >1000uF seem to be okay.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9511 on: June 24, 2024, 04:26:34 pm »
Yep, I´ve tried different power sources, I added additional decoupling caps at the CPU, I also checked the supply voltage with a scope. The 5V at the CPU are rock stable, all other tests are running perfectly but 47uF or 100uF caps can not be tested.
There are a lot of questions about this (and not only) problem with measuring capacitors on AVR ATMEL (purely Chinese MKs are a different story), so let's try to summarize what we know at the moment. There will be a lot of text, so whoever is not interested or too lazy to read, you can skip it.
So, description of the problem:
The tester turns off, "you (are) cut off", the display goes off during the measurement of capacitors, mostly of large capacity. When measuring through the menu, there is usually no such effect.

This problem is typical for software from Karl-Heinz k-firmware (1.12-1.13k).The software from Markus Reschke (m-firmware) also has this effect.
What do you mean it turns off? That is, for some reason the MK resets or the control program fails. The most likely reasons:
1. The power supply voltage of the MK and/or display disappears for a short time;
2. Power supply of the tester (MK) from a pulsed source with large ripples, interference and noise;
3. Triggering of WDT (watchdog timer) - enable/disable is set by the appropriate fuse before compilation or in the software;
4. BOD activation (supply voltage level monitoring system) - enable/disable, the threshold is set by the corresponding fuses before compilation.
5. MK defective (quite possible, given the strong rise in price of original chips and the slag that the Chinese industry is now trying to “sniff”).

The solution:
1. In 99% of cases there is a contact problem (bad or “cold” soldering, “straight-handedness” of the assembler).
2. The effect is eliminated by supplying power to the MK from a high-quality LBP or battery.
3. The authors suggest setting WDTON to the disabled state. In the software of both authors, this timer is reset programmatically before each measurement cycle and is activated if the operation (measurement) is not completed after a certain time. Usually in such cases the message TimeOut appears on the display. For more details, see the manual from Karl-Heinz.
4. The authors recommend turning on BOD and setting the response threshold to 4.3V. For the clock frequency (quartz 8 MHz), high-quality +5V stabilizer and filter capacitors, this threshold does its job perfectly and no problems were noticed with any measurements.
Factory Chinese components in most cases cannot digest this threshold, since under increased load (measuring a capacitor is one of the longest processes in terms of time and load), short-term voltage dips appear, which are sensitively detected by the BOD. Therefore, advice such as set additional fuses and lowering the BOD threshold to 2.7V sometimes really helps solve (mask) the problem, but not always.
With an increase in the clock frequency of the MK to 16-20 MHz, the current consumption and, accordingly, the load on the power bus and stabilizer also increases. The safe operation zone of the MK narrows.The picture that explains this is below.
You can also lower the BOD threshold or turn it off completely; the MC will not reset, but then there is a very high probability that measurements during such voltage dips will be incorrect or distorted. The optimal solution would be to install a QUALITY +5V STABILIZER (for example, MCP1702) and similar quality filter capacitors at its input and output!
5. In most cases, a faulty MK is determined quickly when running self-testing and calibration using hardware tests. If possible, you should try the m-firmware software or replace the MK with another one.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 01:25:31 pm by indman »

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9512 on: June 24, 2024, 04:43:59 pm »
As indman suggest, if you're still using the chinese firmware, check carefully for a bad solder. Sometimes they're not easy to spot. If you have another tester, you can measure the power-related components for clues.

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9513 on: June 24, 2024, 04:52:06 pm »
Feliciano, no, this is not soldering, for the Phil1977 clone, first of all you need to try lowering the BOD threshold to 2.7V. But this will only be possible when installing new firmware, since most likely the Chinese factory firmware will be blocked for reading.

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9514 on: June 24, 2024, 04:54:08 pm »
The watchdog timer is reset regularly during capacitance measurements (and also other measurements). It will be triggered when the firmware freezes for whatever reason.

Online Phil1977

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9515 on: June 24, 2024, 05:22:33 pm »
Thanks for all the support!

As soon as I have a little time for it I´ll connect the scope again to VCC of the microcontroller and upload the result including a video of the restarting device.

I also don't think it´s a bad solder joint because I have two units of the same type and both show exactly the same behaviour. I modded one with better buffer caps, but it didn't change a thing.

Maybe it´s just a bad Atmel-clone inside these devices. If I take the effort to reflash the chip I could also think about getting an original chip from reichelt/mouser and replace the controller.

But that´s an activity for a rainy day...

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9516 on: June 24, 2024, 05:29:41 pm »
I have a similar unit of yours, bought from one link several pages back on this thread, with the chinese firmware showing 1.12k at the end of the selftest.

It correctly detects 220uF and 470uF, between 1-2 or 2-3, and goes into monitor mode when inserted between 1-3.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9517 on: June 24, 2024, 06:18:12 pm »
Regarding the Fish8840TFT (the one with blue PCB and Z14 in parallel with Vcc):
I made some progress: flashing m-firmware allows me to read what's on the screen, but the background supposed to be black it's actually washed-out (gray). Same thing with the foreground colors decolorated (pale). However, when flashing the firmware, the background color really turns black.

The only hardware modification was to convert the "4.xV" of 5V//3.3V into separate 5V and 3.3V lines. Perhaps this ST7735 is supposed to be 5V, and removing Z14 would have been enough fix?

Additionally, the horizontal offset seems not enough in this case. I notice the clones file state 156x128. Is this a non-standard LCD and/or shall I need to play with atypical sizes in order to gain extra shifting?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 02:28:19 pm by Feliciano »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9518 on: June 24, 2024, 07:21:33 pm »
The ST7735 runs with 3.3 V. The Fish8840 display settings in the Clones file seem to be a bit off. LCD_OFFSET_X and LCD_OFFSET_Y are enabled, but without any value (resulting in 0). My guess is that the 156 pixels are simply 160 - 4 (160 for the display, and 4 for the offset). Please try LCD_DOTS_Y 160 and LCD_OFFSET_X 2.

Offline Feliciano

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9519 on: June 24, 2024, 09:51:42 pm »
The above pictures are with 160 x 128, X offset = 4. 

I also supposed to define a blank offset would mean 0, but I would rather prefer see it dissabled as usual. I also saw the same definitions for some other clones, so may want to clarify that for future releases. And maybe to check the reason behind the atypical 156x128.

Later I will try to see if I can solve the offset issue, but also I'm not sure on why the background is not totally black under normal operation, but only when in flashing mode  :-//

Note: the LCD receives power in the following way: 78L05 -> 100R -> Z14 -> 100R -> LCD. It's similar to the suggested solution except by using a zener instead of an LDO. In any case, it's not getting exactly 3.3V, though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2024, 02:29:27 pm by Feliciano »

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9520 on: June 25, 2024, 07:18:38 am »
Additionally, the horizontal offset seems not enough in this case. I notice the clones file state 156x128. Is this a non-standard LCD and/or shall I need to play with atypical sizes in order to gain extra shifting?
Resolution of the display - 160х128, but the front frame superimposes a part of the image therefore it is necessary to move and offset the picture a little.

What else would I need to modify to set the proper foreground/background colors? Or maybe this is a new LCD variant supposed to work on 5V and not 3.3V?
This is a standard ST7735 display and requires 3.3V power. There is no need to come up with any fantastic theories about the special display in your clone. The 662k(XC6206) stabilizer now costs very little money, it can be found on other displays. If this is not the case, then you can use any other one or connect 2 silicon diodes in series as done in the LCR-T4 clone. There are many solution options for you to choose from. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2024, 10:41:43 am by indman »

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9521 on: June 25, 2024, 12:49:19 pm »
I see. Have you any idea why LCD_OFFSET_X and LCD_OFFSET_Y are enabled without any values set?

Online indman

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9522 on: June 25, 2024, 12:58:00 pm »
I see. Have you any idea why LCD_OFFSET_X and LCD_OFFSET_Y are enabled without any values set?
I don't have such a clone, but I remember that the offset settings bdk100 made in the ST7735.c file, because the LCD_OFFSET_X and LCD_OFFSET_Y settings were not enough to accurately orient the image. Say "thank you very much" Chinese manufacturers of this clone for this placement of the frame on the front panel. ;)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9523 on: June 25, 2024, 01:21:18 pm »
Thanks! I'll add a note to the Fish8840 settings in the Clones file.

Offline Yuriy_K

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9524 on: June 25, 2024, 03:09:27 pm »
Three years ago I did a firmware update for a friend of mine on such a T-tester. I don't remember if he cut off the upper and lower black frames, but he definitely cut off the side ones. Otherwise, the output text is cut off. The entire image field should be visible in the case window...

Found a photo of the frame removal in my archives, added it. The firmware was created in changes to previous versions for the Russian version. It will take some time to create English firmware with the latest changes.

Added new firmware for 8 and 16 MHz. Deleted old firmware...

Changed display pin configuration.
Try new firmware...
« Last Edit: July 01, 2024, 06:35:47 am by Yuriy_K »

The following users thanked this post: Feliciano

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf