Author Topic: NanoVNA Custom Software  (Read 515381 times)

Online joeqsmithTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Re: NanoVNA Custom Software
« Reply #2325 on: September 14, 2023, 06:03:11 pm »
I'm not a psychologist, but it's almost like they don't want to do anything that could result in failure. They don't want to be seen as not being able to do something or figure it out. So, they just don't do it. They don't like to talk about any sort of technical topic that they don't know already, because then the other person would seem to be smarter than they were (at least on that topic).

Of course politics and religion they talk about, because there is no "failure" involved. It's just opinions on subjective topics. But once the microphone is in their hand, they will let the opinions fly.

Of course they will fail at simply hooking up HAM gear, but they're willing to risk that or they couldn't talk to other people on the radio, but that's as far as it goes.

If they fail plugging things in, it's behind closed doors, not in front of their peers.   

It's too bad OWO censors their groups.io reflector.  I would have liked to have had an open discussion with Tom W8JI, about his thoughts on transient protection.   He certainly had an opinion on the subject but once others started to point out where he was wrong, he went silent.    I suspect much for the reasons you mention.  Or, it's because OWO would pull my posts not allowing a dialog to take place.   

https://nanorfe.com/forum/ESD-safer-circuit.html

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2326 on: September 14, 2023, 06:57:52 pm »
Sound like an unhealthy community although I certainly understand the approach.

As for transient protection, isn't it just an SA612 on the front end? Just stick another one in  :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2327 on: September 14, 2023, 07:08:02 pm »
The LiteVNA has TVSs on both ports.   Not sure that would save you when you transmit into one of the ports.   Never gets old. :-DD

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2328 on: September 14, 2023, 07:30:56 pm »
Not sure I can face watching that after watching a YT the video of a smoked front end on a Rigol DSA815TG  :-DD

Nice to hear if someone actually giving a crap about robust engineering at least.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2329 on: September 14, 2023, 09:12:37 pm »
Not sure I can face watching that after watching a YT the video of a smoked front end on a Rigol DSA815TG  :-DD

Oh I have one of those, that would make a grown man cry. You know they really should print the Max Power Input right there by the input connector so these things don't happen.

Oh wait - it is there!

MAX +20 dBm

:-DD

I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2330 on: September 14, 2023, 11:01:27 pm »
Bold of you to assume that someone both read and understood that!  :-DD

Through safety squints: “Hey Bob it says 20 something. Must be watts”. CEEEEE CUUEEE CEEEEE CUUEEE. Sniff sniff. Hmm burning.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2331 on: September 17, 2023, 01:28:50 am »
To be fair, even a 5W CB could have damaged it.... but we know it was a ham!  :-DD

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #2332 on: September 17, 2023, 01:41:00 am »
Bold of you to assume that someone both read and understood that!  :-DD

Through safety squints: “Hey Bob it says 20 something. Must be watts”. CEEEEE CUUEEE CEEEEE CUUEEE. Sniff sniff. Hmm burning.

HAMs I talk to can't relate to "dBm". Like on the Spec-An +20 dBm is the Max power input - they wouldn't know what that is.

They generally know that a cable loss or attenuation of 3 dB is 1/2 power loss, and 10 dB increase in power is ten times more. But they don't do dBm at all. Haven't a clue.

So I'll say so-and-so's transmitter was supposed to output +50 dBm and I found it was only +47 dBm - they don't understand that. They ask me "why do you say dBm instead of watts? I just say "Because that's how I was taught." :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2333 on: September 17, 2023, 01:08:49 pm »
That'll be because dB is a relative logarithmic measurement and they understand neither what logarithmic or relative measurements are! Add the poor understanding of SI prefixes and even the reference point in dBm is unlikely to be understood.

There must be a way of making some easy money out of that though. Perhaps create a knowledge cult of dBm and then sell a conversion device that turns a smaller number into a bigger one somehow :-DD

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2334 on: September 17, 2023, 02:07:27 pm »
Still, we have the internet and there are several conversion calculators available to the ham....  Oh right as our new friend reminded us, they have trouble navigating the internet.   :-DD

Maybe just remember that 20dBm is 100mW which was the amount of power from their childhood walkie talkies.  Have any better ideas on how to remember it,  keeping in mind, they need to remember it longer than what it takes to pass a test?

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2335 on: September 17, 2023, 03:50:42 pm »
I'll have you know my childhood walkie talkies could kick out a bit more than that (Midland shit + completely illegal Italian CB widowmaker tube amp)  :-DD

But yeah no looky no findy. Monkey expect spoon fed. I'm sounding like grugbrain now https://grugbrain.dev/

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #2336 on: September 17, 2023, 06:14:54 pm »
I'm an extra class ham. I ran into several roadblocks trying to get Solver64 installed and working.

Did I whine and moan? No. I dug, and dug, and dug until I found the information I needed to get the job done. In the end, I not only got Solver64 working on my own, but I gained a lot of valuable knowledge that will serve me going forward.

It's a shame that so many of my fellow hams have no desire to tackle an issue and work it to resolution. Needing help is fine, but you need to do your due diligence before asking for help, and you need to be humble in your requests.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Kean, joeqsmith, bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2337 on: September 17, 2023, 08:07:40 pm »
Outside of learning how to install it,  what have you used the software for? 

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #2338 on: September 18, 2023, 04:01:27 pm »
I'm currently using it to help me tune various long wire antennas as well as testing filters.

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2339 on: September 18, 2023, 04:13:24 pm »
Assuming you are using the 4.x rather than 3.00,  let me know if you find any problems with it.   4.02 should be fine.

Sounds like you are mostly playing around below 300MHz.  What drove you to buy the V2Plus or LiteVNA?   IMO, the original NanoVNA would have been a better choice.

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #2340 on: September 18, 2023, 04:16:36 pm »
I am using 4.02. I chose the LiteVNA because I plan to start setting up some microwave links in the Arizona - New Mexico area in the next year or so.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2341 on: September 18, 2023, 04:20:00 pm »
If you start a blog post a link here.  I'm interested in reading more about it.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2023, 04:29:33 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: kd7eir

Offline kd7eir

• Contributor
« Reply #2342 on: September 18, 2023, 04:42:46 pm »
I will certainly do that.

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline @rt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2343 on: October 08, 2023, 08:36:49 am »
I just got mine… the H version.
Has anyone written anything completely different for the device itself?

I previously had the Mini600, which was based on STM Discovery board,
and I did a plasma demo intro for it just for a bit of fun.

I haven’t looked into this one much. Are there any dramas compiling its source?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 08:38:37 am by @rt »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2344 on: October 08, 2023, 12:35:04 pm »
I just got mine… the H version.
Has anyone written anything completely different for the device itself?

The thread is more about software that interfaces with the VNA, not firmware that runs on the VNA.   I suggest you join the group.io reflector for the NanoVNA and ask there.   Another group you may want to consider is for the firmware developers and beta testers.    Feel free to post here but I doubt you will get too many responses. 

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2345 on: October 11, 2023, 01:15:34 am »
4.03 is now live.  This version will allow the LiteVNA to work with waveguides without requiring the frequency extender.  Obviously the Lite's performance isn't currently good enough to use for the X-band today, possibly in the future we will see an improved product.

When using the time domain functions with Touchstone imported files, some features were disabled.  These have all been enabled.   I don't normally import files, so this was more an oversight than anything.   Discovered when cat'ing files to measure some of those 1930s UHF connectors.   

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/rf-microwave/cb-and-ham-radio-techs-love-their-bird-wattmeters/msg5100693/#msg5100693

Offline Fred_B

• Contributor
« Reply #2346 on: December 05, 2023, 01:51:08 am »
Hey Joe,

I've started using my VNA V2 Pro in measuring a hybrid coupler I am making. I noticed that the VNA is affecting the behavior of the hybrid, which is quite sensitive to impedance differences on its ports. Basically the problem is that the input impedance of the NanoVNA V2 is about 53.5 ohms as self reported by the device when a thru is connected between the cables after calibration.

I tried searching for some posts about this on other sites and the explanation I  found was that the nanovna has a frequency dependent return loss on port 2. The suggested solution was to add an attenuator to port 2 to force the return loss higher and stabilize the port 2 input impedance. This issue was said to be due to a lack of 12 term correction in the firmware/software.  So, I was wondering what you had to say about the issue and if the LiteVNA suffers from the same problem.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2347 on: December 05, 2023, 02:08:47 am »
Hello Fred,

All the software/firmware/calibration in the world isn't going to fix a hardware problem.   If your device is sensitive to the mismatch, about the only thing you could do to improve it is use an attenuator as suggested and give up some dynamic range.   The other option, throw money at it.   

What frequency range are you interested in working in.  I can take a measurement with the LiteVNA 64 I am currently using.  It is the latest revision of the hardware and has no modifications done to it. 

Offline Fred_B

• Contributor
« Reply #2348 on: December 05, 2023, 09:40:23 pm »
Rather than the sensitivity of my hybrid to the impedances presented to its ports, it's the VNA's self reported port 2 input impedance of 53.5 ohms that's my concern. That's 7% from nominal. I would like the port 2 input impedance to be within a tenth or two of 50 ohms. People have also mentioned maybe the cables or even the thru are contributing to that, although I have yet to read about anybody claiming that the cables or thru that come with the nano VNA to be anything other than 50 Ohms.

I'm presently dealing with VHF centered around 146 MHz.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2023, 10:06:20 pm by Fred_B »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2349 on: December 06, 2023, 01:49:14 am »
Rather than the sensitivity of my hybrid to the impedances presented to its ports, it's the VNA's self reported port 2 input impedance of 53.5 ohms that's my concern. That's 7% from nominal. I would like the port 2 input impedance to be within a tenth or two of 50 ohms. People have also mentioned maybe the cables or even the thru are contributing to that, although I have yet to read about anybody claiming that the cables or thru that come with the nano VNA to be anything other than 50 Ohms.

I'm presently dealing with VHF centered around 146 MHz.

You have a standard you use for a load.  Guessing a bit of an unknown.  Then you have a port match which I am guessing is also a bit of an unknown.   I say guessing as I assume if you had access to better equipment and standards, you would have already narrowed down the source of errors.  Consider if they are each 5%, and both swing to the worse case your measurement is better than that.   

Consider that the load is what you cal to.  You are telling the VNA, that is 50 ohms at 146 MHz.  Let's say that the part is really 25 ohms.  The VNA will measure that as 50.  And if your port is now 25, it will also display 50.   Then there is the problem that you can't just measure the load with your DMM and expect to get anything meaningful.   

All that said, I use a load that I had sorted from Mini-Circuits for my standard.  I bought several of them and compared them with a set of metrology grade standards.   I picked the best two, the second best being what I use with these low cost VNAs.  I use the cheap supplied standards for the short and open.   Next, I use the ideal model which assumes there are no parasitics and the standards are perfect.   I know the VNA will require some warmup  time but lets ignore that.    Obviously, the errors are adding up already and I haven't even started.     

Next, I calibrate the LiteVNA from 140-150MHz using the above standards.  I did not torque anything.   Looking at "Loads.jpg",  I then measured the original supplied load (yellow), my home made load made up of 2X1206 resistors on FR4 (red), and finally reattached my Mini-Circuits load.   It's off by ab out 0.6%.   

Just as an FYI, I did measure the DCR of the Mini-Circuits at 50.042 ohms and supplied load at 51.029 ohms.  I'm a bit surprised to see them read about 1 ohm difference at 145MHz. 

Next, using the supplied cables, I measure port 2  "Port2.jpg".   It measures roughly 51.5 ohms or about 2.6%.    Now, think about it.  Had I used the supplied load as my reference standard rather than the  Mini-Circuits ANNE I sorted, the measurement would have been reported to be much tighter.  You could fool yourself into thinking it was better but without knowing what these errors are, you are just guessing. 

It's nothing that spending some cash couldn't solve.  Or, if you have access to some better equipment and standards, you could start to sort things out.     

This video had a lot of down votes, I am guessing from some very ignorant viewers.  To me, it clearly demonstrates the direct effect of using a poor load for a standard. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf