Author Topic: MOT Power Supply  (Read 3166 times)

Offline dizzTopic starter

MOT Power Supply
« on: November 24, 2016, 07:33:45 pm »
Hello EEVblogers.  This is my first post here.  I'm somewhat new to the electronics hobby if you call it that.  I do work in a semi-related industry though as a cable splicer for ATT. 

I'm building a  Power Supply [Microwave Oven Transformer....... rewound].  I have rewound the Xformer to 12.5v  AC at the moment.  Now it's time for me to build the rest. 

Sure, there are a ton of guides on Youtube etc but I have a few questions that I'd like to direct to the vast knowledge base that floats around here.  The guide I plan to parallel is ...

The video's author being Aussy (I assume) he's in 220v land.  I'm US so I'm 120v.  This really should have zero bearing on the inner circuitry though -correct?  I mean once I've rewound my transformer to 120v : 30v, the rest of the video's circuits should work for me fine right?

Happy Thanksgiving!!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 07:54:11 pm by dizz »

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
Re: MOT Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 07:40:37 pm »
Very neat construction.  I have done this several times myself but not as neat.  When you power it up what is the voltage?  I assume you have a multimeter.

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2016, 07:53:21 pm »
Right now it's 12.5.  Which is fine enough for a little power supply, but was considering  making that a center tap and adding a few more windings for the main variable part of the supply.

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2016, 09:23:58 pm »
These make excellent power supplies.  I found them cheap to get and am regulating them using a cheap thyristor to limit the current and adjust the voltage.  I put this before the mains input.  If you run these rewound MOT'S in staturation the can get quite hot so you can use a current sharing ballest resistor if you want more regulation.  If you plan to make an arc welder then of course use the full power. 

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2016, 10:08:20 pm »
I've seen those welders.  Pretty cool stuff.  It's not at all my intention to step up on this project.  Might be fun (albeit dangerous) project in the future though.  They kinda scare me a bit lol.  I do respect those electrons

Much of what you describe are things I have not learned yet.  I'm going to see what I can find online so it makes some more sense.  Thanks for the reply and  suggestions/advice

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2016, 11:05:09 pm »
Since this is going to be variable, I went ahead and soldered a tail at 15v and added another several windings.  So now I have 3 terminal leads of which I can yield:

6.27v
15.08v
21.38v

from my 120v AC in.

I could probably squeeze a couple more turns but there's not much more room for any more so that's probably gonna be it.  Would have been nice to hit 25

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf