Author Topic: Weller WD1003 soldering station experiences?  (Read 6715 times)

Offline nazcalinesTopic starter

• Contributor
Weller WD1003 soldering station experiences?
« on: March 06, 2016, 12:14:08 am »
Has anyone used the newish Weller WD1003? My WES51 needs to be replaced soon and it's between the WD1003 and a Hakko 951 with the 2032 micro handpiece.

The main thing with the Weller I'm concerned about is being able to replace parts, especially the heater. It *looks* like the user interface might be better than the Hakko, but hard to tell since I can't find the manual anywhere. I certainly like how the Weller looks better than the Hakko. I think the Hakko's integrated tips with heater/sensor is superior, though quite a lot more expensive.

Any thoughts on the two?

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Re: Weller WD1003 soldering station experiences?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2016, 05:41:44 am »
FWIW, I have it's predecessor, the WD1001 (WD1 power unit + WMP 65W iron). Overall, I do like it, particularly the simplicity of the UI (the 3 "radio" buttons for presets are quite nice), and think it does have a slight edge over the Hakko in this regard. Connectivity too, as Weller offers more devices for it than Hakko does for the FX-951. Please note tips made in Bosnia and Mexico have had a high defect rate (~30 - 33% IME), while those produced in the US, Germany, and Japan have been fine.

Between the two, that's a tough call, but I'd probably opt for the Hakko due to the easier to change tips (nothing to unscrew*), and tip quality for Hakko has been stable for years and years. Assuming you won't need any more thermal capacity than even the larger FM2027 iron can deliver (best to have both irons IMHO, as even for SMD, you can run into situations that the micro iron can't handle). The larger iron has suitable tips for SMD as well (Weller as well).

If you find yourself in situations where you need more power, I'd have to give the nod to Weller (80W).

Tip selection for the FM2032 is all of 6 offerings, while the WP65 has 37 tips available (XNT series & their COO = Germany). Not sure what you're doing, so this may be a critical deciding factor in your case.

Manuals:
Regarding spares: Generally speaking, Weller spares are available for a good while, including heating elements (Hakko too for that matter). Unfortunately in the case of Weller's micro irons however, they do not have replaceable parts. So if/when it dies, you have to replace the entire iron (the larger irons offer still offer replaceable heating elements).

* Purchasing additional tip retainers significantly speeds tip swaps, as you can select the tips you need, load them up, then only have to screw/unscrew as needed. Takes me ~10s to do a swap on my WSP80. Regarding the Bosnia defect rate (none of the LT series are made in Mexico), there are 3rd party solutions such as Plato/Techspray to help mitigate that issue (Weller appears they may be addressing this issue, but there's still a lot of old stock in the supply chain right now IME).

Tip changes on my WMP are more of a PITA (special socket wrench & it gets uncomfortably hot  :rant:). They definitely improved tip changes with the WP65's design  :-+, so I'll end up swapping for it at some point.  >:D

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 07:27:00 am »
Has anyone used the newish Weller WD1003? My WES51 needs to be replaced soon and it's between the WD1003 and a Hakko 951 with the 2032 micro handpiece.

If you at some point want to use Weller  micro tools (WMRP/WMRT) you need the 'M' version of the station.

Unfortunately in the case of Weller's micro irons however, they do not have replaceable parts. So if/when it dies, you have to replace the entire iron (the larger irons offer still offer replaceable heating elements).

I'm pretty sure that's correct if your referring to the WP65. The WMRP/WMRT micro tools use cartridges which have the heater integrated with the tip and need the 'M' version of the station.

Please note tips made in Bosnia and Mexico have had a high defect rate (~30 - 33% IME), while those produced in the US, Germany, and Japan have been fine.

That was my experience as well with the XNT-A which was included with the WXP65. The replacement tip I purchased was fine.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 09:36:14 am »
I'm pretty sure that's correct if your referring to the WP65. The WMRP/WMRT micro tools use cartridges which have the heater integrated with the tip and need the 'M' version of the station.
I don't consider cartridge tips as an integrated part of the iron as the heating element isn't held by any screws, nuts, or other fasteners as is traditionally the case to affix it in a semi-permanent state to the iron. Just electrical contacts & a wire tucked into a stick in the case of an iron.  :-DD

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2016, 10:12:52 am »
I don't consider cartridge tips as an integrated part of the iron as the heating element isn't held by any screws, nuts, or other fasteners as is traditionally the case to affix it in a semi-permanent state to the iron. Just electrical contacts & a wire tucked into a stick in the case of an iron.  :-DD

Semantics maybe as Weller describe the hand piece - "The heating element and sensor are built into the tip". So yes, the hand piece is just a shell with electrical contacts, all be it a relatively expensive cable & socket.

Anyway, as you know, Weller charges more for the privilege of being able to use that connector with their stations, hence the "M" version.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2016, 05:38:25 pm »
Semantics maybe as Weller describe the hand piece - "The heating element and sensor are built into the tip". So yes, the hand piece is just a shell with electrical contacts, all be it a relatively expensive cable & socket.

Anyway, as you know, Weller charges more for the privilege of being able to use that connector with their stations, hence the "M" version.
Absolutely.  Marketing at it's finest... or would that be smelliest?, as the  :bullshit: is approaching tilt on this one.  :-DD

FWIW, the WD1 was actually supposed to be field upgradeable to an M version (USB board kit), but they never offered it in the US. I only ever located that kit in Germany (presume the 12V irons still wouldn't work; just added logging/monitoring capabilities, as the 12V source & associated components, such as the triacs, would still be missing on the power pcb).

Offline blacksheeplogic

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 02:30:53 am »
FWIW, the WD1 was actually supposed to be field upgradeable to an M version (USB board kit), but they never offered it in the US. I only ever located that kit in Germany (presume the 12V irons still wouldn't work; just added logging/monitoring capabilities, as the 12V source & associated components, such as the triacs, would still be missing on the power pcb).

Never understood why Weller did this, it made adoption of their micro tools unattractive to customers.

Heard also that their WX stations are not doing so well either. Aside from the god awful UI their WX platform provided no upgrade path to their existing customers unless they are willing or need to purchase new hand pieces. The cost of purchasing the new hand pieces far exceeds the cost of the station.

Offline nazcalinesTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2016, 06:20:38 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. The reason I'm interested in the 2032 handpiece (and the smaller Weller) is that I've been doing some .5mm pitch work and find the really small tips to work well under a microscope. I still have the usual through hole parts to do, but nothing that requires massive power.

It's a bit of a bummer that hakko only offers the 6 tips for the 2032.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2016, 11:48:20 am »
Thanks for the replies everyone. The reason I'm interested in the 2032 handpiece (and the smaller Weller) is that I've been doing some .5mm pitch work and find the really small tips to work well under a microscope. I still have the usual through hole parts to do, but nothing that requires massive power.

It's a bit of a bummer that hakko only offers the 6 tips for the 2032.
Yeah, the current tip selection for that particular iron isn't stellar, but I'd think they'll offer more over time as they're requested by customers.

That said, have you considered JBC's offerings that use the 210 hand piece?
It uses cartridge tips, and they have a good selection as well.

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 07:16:46 pm »
There's a new range of Wellers coming out (maybe) soon.
http://www.simpex.ch/fileadmin/bereiche/produktionstechnik/News/30112015_3/2015_WT%20Line_E.pdf

Haha, just as I bought a newish model.

Honestly though, it's a bit of a nuisance when firms run so many product lines some of which aren't interoperable with others.

http://media-weller.de/weller/data/CMS%20Bilder/PBC_Nov2015.pdf

Though there are 5 presets in the WT stations it looks like they're accessed through the menu. With the WD1000M /variants you can at least feel for the preset buttons if you're working on the scope.

Edit: there's actually a brochure on the weller.de/en downloads page.  http://www.weller.de/sys/tools/curl_download.php?selected_file=http%3A%2F%2Fmedia-weller.de%2Fweller%2Fdata%2FDownloads%2FWT_Flyer_GB.pdf
It doesn't take microsoldering tools. They state:
"Backwards Compatibility
"All soldering irons of the WSD and WD soldering
stations can be connected. (Except micro soldering irons)"
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:19:34 am by FrankE »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 11:51:18 pm »
http://www.simpex.ch/fileadmin/bereiche/produktionstechnik/News/30112015_3/2015_WT%20Line_E.pdf

Honestly though, it's a bit of a nuisance when firms run so many product lines some of which aren't interoperable with others.

Though there are 5 presets in the WT stations it looks like they're accessed through the menu. With the WD1000M /variants you can at least feel for the preset buttons if you're working on the scope.
Interesting; seems the WD series is about to be EOL'ed. I do get your comment regarding interoperability though.  :--

Regardless, I like my WD1 well enough I'm keeping it (and I really do like the radio buttons; supper simple, and as you say, they can be tapped by feel alone if needed). >:D

Offline FrankE

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 02:03:10 am »

Interesting; seems the WD series is about to be EOL'ed. I do get your comment regarding interoperability though.  :--

Regardless, I like my WD1 well enough I'm keeping it (and I really do like the radio buttons; supper simple, and as you say, they can be tapped by feel alone if needed). >:D

It would be half the battle for buyers if they published tables saying which irons are compatible with which stations and which tips are compatible with which iron.  I think their individual product lines compete with one another in much the same way that the big soap powder conglomerates have their brands operating autonomously from each other.

WD1000 variant was top of my shortlist for a single channel station. The only reason I didn't get it was I got a  really good deal on a WSD but with a dry clean stand instead of the awful sponge and spring. It meets my basic low volume needs.

The WTHA 1 (900 W) hot air station looks worth a look when I come to need more hot air.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 02:27:33 am »
WD1000 variant was top of my shortlist for a single channel station. The only reason I didn't get it was I got a  really good deal on a WSD but with a dry clean stand instead of the awful sponge and spring. It meets my basic low volume needs.

The WTHA 1 (900 W) hot air station looks worth a look when I come to need more hot air.
The WSD doesn't have the extra features, but will certainly do the job. So it makes sense at the right price (especially what I've seen of UK & EU pricing).   :-+ Like you, I'd rather use the brass wool (comes with the optional WDH10T or WDH20T stands that connects to the station). The original stand came with the sponge (only used for holding the iron that's not plugged in).

Regarding the WTHA 1, it does look nice. Bet it's going to be quite pricey though. And I like the friction fit nozzles better than those that use screw clamps (what the WHA900 uses, as does my Quick 861DW).

FWIW, my Quick 861DW is quite nice. Comparable to the Hakko FR-810 in methodology and features actually, but only comes in at $235 vs. ~$705 for the Hakko (street prices). So less than half the cost.  :-+ Unfortunately, there seems to be a bad batch currently in the US (2 damaged/defective units to 1 customer here in the US; cuts in the hose near the handle on both, bad switches on one, & less than acceptable metal enclosure work + some loose screws ). But overall, owners are quite pleased. BTW, the 861DS = EU version, and the 861DA = UK version, which I last saw for 235GBP (quite a value in the UK as I understand it). Some are using these professionally for 40hrs.+ /wk., and they're handling that kind of duty cycle rather well. And another member posted some internal photos, which showed a well made unit (photos posted by wraper). So I figured it was a reasonable compromise between the budget priced crap and a proper professional brand, which are priced too high for hobbyist use IMHO. Turned out to be a good decision in my case.   ;D Something to think about if you're in the market for your own unit.  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf