Author Topic: Power conditioners  (Read 11349 times)

Offline smoothtalkerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Power conditioners
« on: October 08, 2013, 04:20:52 pm »
guys. I'm currently looking for a power filter for my audio amplifier at home. Power products in the head-fi community is really sketchy. tons of snake oils. I'm not really a believer of expensive power cables and stuff although i do seem to hear some difference.

I'm not a EE guy so i'm thinking can someone analyse the furman PCB design and provide some opinions? It's not that i'm having issues with my audio but i do hear pop and clicks when an appliance adjacent is being power on. Does a power conditional resolve that issue? thanks!

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=AC-210AE
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 04:34:29 pm by smoothtalker »

Offline And!

• Contributor
Re: Power conditioners
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 06:45:28 pm »
VFI (double conversion UPS) with sine output will be cheaper and more effective than voodoo-audio based on snake oil audiophile power conditioner...

Offline walshms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 06:54:04 pm »
I'm not a EE guy so i'm thinking can someone analyse the furman PCB design and provide some opinions? It's not that i'm having issues with my audio but i do hear pop and clicks when an appliance adjacent is being power on. Does a power conditional resolve that issue? thanks!

http://www.furmansound.com/product.php?div=03&id=AC-210AE

This doesn't seem like it's going to be helpful.  Not because it's snake oil, but because it probably won't address your issue.

They claim this is a transient surge suppressor, and it certainly looks like one, with a bit of inductive and capacitive smoothing, and a voltage clamp.  It won't help with sags, though, and that's more likely to be your issue.

Offline madshaman

• Frequent Contributor
  • ego trans insani
Power conditioners
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:02:02 pm »
Wouldn't sags more likely originate from the amp's power supply circuirty?
To be responsible, but never to let fear stop the imagination.

Offline walshms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 07:03:17 pm »
Wouldn't sags more likely originate from the amp's power supply circuirty?

On large amplitude swings, yes.  But the OP talked about pops when switching adjacent appliances/circuits on.

Offline walshms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 07:14:54 pm »
VFI (double conversion UPS) with sine output will be cheaper and more effective than voodoo-audio based on snake oil audiophile power conditioner...

You're not serious, right?  An online (double-conversion) UPS is extremely costly, especially for an audio system.  It's like using a sledgehammer to drive a pin.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 08:36:38 pm »
Anyone knows of any real power conditional that improves the AC mains?

I look at monster, furman, etc, their power products seem to be just surge protector and does nothing much to improving AC power quality.

Those isolation transformer as they claim are expensive! (Also have no idea what they do to the mains) it's Crazy thousands of dollars

Offline Phaedrus

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 08:47:38 pm »
You can do a fair bit to quell transients and such using a mix of X caps, Y caps, common and differential mode chokes, and MOVs. Won't help against long-term sags or surges though. It's basically a passive line conditioner sans the expensive isolation transformer. Considering a decent audio amp should have it's own isolated power supply anyway, I don't think you really need it.
"More quotes have been misattributed to Albert Einstein than to any other famous person."
- Albert Einstein

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 04:54:57 am »

You're not serious, right?  An online (double-conversion) UPS is extremely costly, especially for an audio system.  It's like using a sledgehammer to drive a pin.

You can often find a used one (bad batteries) for cheap or even free. With luck, it might even work as a line conditioner with no batteries connected.

If the amp is any good, there's going to be a fair amount of filtering on the mains input. Most likely the problem is low level wiring picking up the EMI. A modern amp is going to have optical input, which is your best bet at fixing EMI issues.

I saw a teardown of a whole house  "power conditioning unit" and it's nothing more than a pair of motor run caps and MOVs, with each set going from each hot to neutral. Motor run caps are very cheap from an HVAC supply store and can be worth a try. (I suggest a 10uF to start with. The 370V units are good for 120V line and the 440V good for 240V line.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 08:00:35 pm »
'Plops' originating from equipment being switched on sounds more like interference coupling into the audio wiring to me. Maybe try to make the wires as short as possible. Clamp-on ferrites may also help. Equipment has proper mains filtering nowadays in order to pass EMC testing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline IanJ

• Supporter
  • Full time EE & Youtuber
    • IanJohnston.com
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 08:50:04 pm »
Look up CVT Constant Voltage Transformers as a possible element to cleaning up and regulating mains AC. They are used offshore a lot to clean up noisy, fluctuating AC supply's due to local heavy SCR switching etc.

Just a thought.

Ian.
Ian Johnston - Original designer of the PDVS2mini || Author of the free WinGPIB app.
Website - www.ianjohnston.com
YT Channel (electronics repairs & projects): www.youtube.com/user/IanScottJohnston, Twitter (X): https://twitter.com/IanSJohnston

Offline walshms

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 10:03:45 pm »
'Plops' originating from equipment being switched on sounds more like interference coupling into the audio wiring to me. Maybe try to make the wires as short as possible. Clamp-on ferrites may also help. Equipment has proper mains filtering nowadays in order to pass EMC testing.

Yes, this is certainly possible too; easy enough to eliminate, though, by separating the wiring a sufficient distance.

Offline macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 01:21:27 pm »
Buy an exercise bike, attach a dynamo and peddle at exactly 50Hz.
I know you are joking but you are not far off. In some cases where isolated very pure sine power is needed, they use a motor with precision speed controller, a big flywheel, and a generator (or dynamo if you prefer). The flywheel provides excellent rejection of high-frequency junk on the mains! ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 02:54:00 pm »
Look up CVT Constant Voltage Transformers as a possible element to cleaning up and regulating mains AC. They are used offshore a lot to clean up noisy, fluctuating AC supply's due to local heavy SCR switching etc.

Just a thought.

Ian.

Ah.. A constant voltage generator seems like the best solution instead of fancy power conditioner. But they do sound expensive

Buy an exercise bike, attach a dynamo and peddle at exactly 50Hz.

Hahaha I like that proposal.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 02:56:11 pm by smoothtalker »

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 02:56:04 pm »
This is what I use on my Hi-Fi to stop noise from my computer's and powerline adapters.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/surge-suppressor-units/0239472/

A bit expensive for what it is but as it fell out of the back door of sellafield before I inherited it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 03:00:32 pm »
This is what I use on my Hi-Fi to stop noise from my computer's and powerline adapters.

A bit expensive for what it is but as it fell out of the back door of sellafield before I inherited it.

These "surge" devices always make me paranoid. They seem to be just some MOV and fuses. I'm using a UK plug and its already fused at the outlet. Double fused at my power strip. Triple fused at my audio device. I had enough of fuses. Hahaha

I'm hoping to find something that improve AC mains. Like voltage stabilizer. But all of them seems really expensive. Furman has some.

May I know what's the difference between asymmetrical and symmetrical attenuation?? I saw it in the data sheet
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 03:05:37 pm by smoothtalker »

Offline Towger

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 03:09:33 pm »

Did it come with the 'glow in the dark' feature?

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 04:31:19 pm »
In Brazil several "voltage stabilizers" were commonplace with the PC boom in the 90's - most of them were really terrible and did not react quickly enough to prevent a major instability in the end equipment.
However, over the years I used a few from APC and tend to trust their products. Several are here.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2013, 03:29:02 pm »

These "surge" devices always make me paranoid. They seem to be just some MOV and fuses. I'm using a UK plug and its already fused at the outlet. Double fused at my power strip. Triple fused at my audio device. I had enough of fuses. Hahaha

I'm hoping to find something that improve AC mains. Like voltage stabilizer. But all of them seems really expensive. Furman has some.

May I know what's the difference between asymmetrical and symmetrical attenuation?? I saw it in the data sheet

This one actually has a decent filter network inside it. I will try to get it apart and take some photo's.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2013, 07:37:10 pm »

This one actually has a decent filter network inside it. I will try to get it apart and take some photo's.

Awesome! showdown against furman AC-210AE in my first post. AC-210AE is relatively inexpensive as compared to higher end Furman and PS Audio

Offline And!

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2013, 12:38:33 pm »

Double conversion UPS will be surprisingly cheap compared to the voodoo-audio stuff...
You will get a sine wave with frequency and the shape independent of the input voltage quality.
If you want to continue this madness,  an isolation transformer can be used on output of VFI UPS...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:40:47 pm by And! »

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2013, 02:13:00 am »
If the source is digital, use an optical connection.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2013, 03:11:58 pm »
If the source is digital, use an optical connection.

My cables are all pretty short. longest is a 3m power cable to my power strip, follow by a 2m power cable to my dac/amp . both are Belden 19364 shielded power cables

hmmm.. i not sure what is optical disadvantages. I've not research on that! but I'm using a laptop to my USB DAC with wasapi.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf