Author Topic: Open-T12-Soldering-Station released  (Read 2729 times)

Offline clytle374Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Open-T12-Soldering-Station released
« on: May 16, 2024, 09:13:38 am »
So I did this out of frustration with ordering another Ksger soldering station to find out I had to replace the processor and hack up a couple other things.  So I decided to build my own and share it. Ended up on detouring and building a reflow oven to build it, that is also on my git page.  It uses the same pinouts as the Ksger T12 V3.0 OLD so it runs the great firmware at  https://github.com/deividAlfa/stm32_soldering_iron_controller without any changes.

https://github.com/clytle374/Open-T12-Soldering-Station

I thought about ordering some extra boards to offer up for sale.  But I really don't want to try and build one again, not sure anyone else would either, so I thought about having them made at someplace jlcpcb as they aren't expensive in quantity and they get many of the parts cheaper.  Any interest out there for that?   

Please ignore the homemade board, homemade solder mask, and learning the reflow oven solder quality.  I was hoping for a working prototype, so it was a success.

And educational comments about the design would be appreciated. 

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, wasyoungonce, ledtester, dcore, slavoy

• Regular Contributor
Re: Open-T12-Soldering-Station released
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2024, 09:27:27 am »
Done and working. 

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2024, 10:41:34 am »
If the T12-958 Quick station works out with dodgy non STM32 I’d be interested in an Open source PCB. Even if it is an STM32 I’d still be interested.

Cheers
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2024, 11:05:22 am »
If the T12-958 Quick station works out with dodgy non STM32 I’d be interested in an Open source PCB. Even if it is an STM32 I’d still be interested.

Cheers

I'm working on getting them out on Tindie.  I think the quicko has some differences. Like being 4 pin, and the connector is in a different location.  Also the display is different for the different versions.  Mine uses a 6 pin SPI.  I intend to have some options for converting them.  Like a whole face unit with a display, front panel, and connector assembled that will fit in the common box.  With options for cords, NTCS, connectors.  Never found the box at an affordable price.     

It's taking a lot of time to include the different options and document it all.  I'm not going to make much money on any of it, just got so pissed off trying to order I decided to do this. I should have the listing live in a week or so. 

For the excellent opensource firmware the STM32 is the way to go from everything I have gathered. 

EDIT: The PCB itself is $25,  everything but the through hole components.   not sure on the other kits yet.  I'm kinda scared how much I spent and haven't added it up yet.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2024, 11:09:31 am by clytle374 »

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2024, 01:08:10 am »
Yep i know doing projects......always cost more than buying.   But mostly you know your parts are good and design good......cheers

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2024, 05:47:09 am »
The 958 Quicko is a 5 pin connector to iron.   Supposedly.  This is a page overview of all their stations

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2954088/pages/custom-1573143223796.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.multiText_566110574.0

Rdit. Link may not work click on “enter Quecco products catalogue page” link on front page of their site
« Last Edit: July 12, 2024, 08:15:23 am by wasyoungonce »

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2024, 11:21:54 am »
Thanks for the project. Will build   ;)

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2024, 03:49:54 pm »
Yep very Keen as well!

edit: any possibility of fitting PCB rivets to the connector pads?   Even if just on power pads?   Yeah I know not much room there!   Its just It'll increase PCB life thru pulling apart.   Layout looks good.  Plenty room to hand solder.  Many thanks
« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 12:08:48 am by wasyoungonce »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2024, 01:01:14 am »
The 958 Quicko is a 5 pin connector to iron.   Supposedly.  This is a page overview of all their stations

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/2954088/pages/custom-1573143223796.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_home.multiText_566110574.0

Rdit. Link may not work click on “enter Quecco products catalogue page” link on front page of their site

Thanks, that link works now.  Very handy chart to have.  Wish it stated if a NTC was present in the handle.  But yes, it appears several do use the 5 pin connector.  Do you know if they plug compatible with the ksger units?

Yep very Keen as well!

edit: any possibility of fitting PCB rivets to the connector pads?   Even if just on power pads?   Yeah I know not much room there!   Its just It'll increase PCB life thru pulling apart.   Layout looks good.  Plenty room to hand solder.  Many thanks

It would be difficult.  I don't think there should be enough stress on the board for that to be an issue.  I can honestly only think of a few places I have seen them used, and seen very few failures on PCBs. 
Most of the footprints were of the hand solder variety.  I milled the prototype PCB and hand built it to prove it worked, I also proved I would NOT be building anymore by hand.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2024, 01:06:41 am »
Thanks for the project. Will build   ;)

Thanks, hope you enjoy it.  I'll have some various parts on tendie sometime soon if you want to go that route.  My main motivation to design it was the firmware from DavidAlfa, I hated to see people having to replace the processor to use it.   

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2024, 02:33:12 am »
Wish it stated if a NTC was present in the handle.  But yes, it appears several do use the 5 pin connector.  Do you know if they plug compatible with the ksger units? ...................edit: any possibility of fitting PCB rivets to the connector pads?   Even if just on power pads?   Yeah I know not much room there!   Its just It'll increase PCB life thru pulling apart.   Layout looks good.  Plenty room to hand solder.  Many thanks

I'll know when the station arrives and will update then   But they do state that

"Our handle just compatible with our T12 soldering station. can't be used on any other soldering station. please notice!"   

The link below gives some pics of the handle wiring but not the socket.   If its all too mush Id just replace the controller PCB with your open source PCB and re-wire handle.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003059542690.html?spm=a2g0o.store_pc_allItems_or_groupList.0.0.149134c8AHH9Np&pdp_npi=4%40dis%21AUD%21AU%20%2414.72%21AU%20%2414.72%21%21%219.80%219.80%21%40210307c017207615068763524e25db%2112000023668357814%21sh%21AU%211851760988%21X#nav-specification

This is a screen shot of a buyer 958 PCB....you cannot see much

edit: ahh here this aligns with the 958 PCB images in the gitbub boards section
https://github.com/deividAlfa/stm32_soldering_iron_controller/blob/master/Readme_files/boards/T12-958_v2.jpg

under "currently supported controllers", the 958 v2 pcb is supported.   
https://github.com/deividAlfa/stm32_soldering_iron_controller

Looking at this PCB it looks same nomenclature as your Open source pins and I see: T+/T-/GND/NTC/SLP.   Appears it has NTC

T12-958 v2: Profile compatible with STM32F103. Needs a mod for battery to work.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2024, 04:20:54 am by wasyoungonce »

The following users thanked this post: clytle374

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2024, 07:07:56 pm »
I can't open the project files in KiCad 8. It says it was made in version 8.99 xD

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2024, 02:10:20 am »
I can't open the project files in KiCad 8. It says it was made in version 8.99 xD

That isn't good, I run Kicad from git source so it's the latest development release.  I can't seem to find anyway to save it in a previous version.  You'll have to use a development release or nightly build to open it. 

The following users thanked this post: slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2024, 02:15:07 am »

I'll know when the station arrives and will update then   But they do state that

"Our handle just compatible with our T12 soldering station. can't be used on any other soldering station. please notice!"   

The link below gives some pics of the handle wiring but not the socket.   If its all too mush Id just replace the controller PCB with your open source PCB and re-wire handle.

T12-958 v2: Profile compatible with STM32F103. Needs a mod for battery to work.

Looking at that I think it will interchange.  Battery mod is easy.  Thanks, you sorted quite a bit of that out that I gave up on.

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 03:10:09 am »
Yeah same here couldn't open project in KICad due to it being created in newer version.   I have latest ver 8.0.3

there's dozens of ver 8.99 releases

https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/windows/explore/nightlies

Much prefer to run last stable release as 8.0.3.   Sorry for being a pain

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:15:59 am by wasyoungonce »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:23:39 am »
Yeah same here couldn't open project in KICad due to it being created in newer version.   I have latest ver 8.0.3

there's dozens of ver 8.99 releases

https://downloads.kicad.org/kicad/windows/explore/nightlies

Much prefer to run last stable release as 8.0.3.   Sorry for being a pain

No need to apologize, I never even considered that being an issue until now.  I run Gentoo Linux and many installers will tear up my system.  So I've been building many of my programs(kicad, freecad, prusaslicer, sdr++, ect) from Git sources for over a decade, and they can often be ran in place instead of being installed.  Plus it allows me to give back to the OSS community a bit with bug reports, testing, and occasionally being a PITA to developers ;)

When this started it was just a fun diversion that slowly turned into I think I can do better, then to I'm going to do it.  If I had intended to go this far I'd started out at a stable release.  If I roll back I cannot open it either, nor can I 'save as' a previous version.  I assume that any 8.99 would open it.  But I don't see anyway out of this other than wait until the next release of Kicad. |O Honestly the nightly builds of Kicad are very stable.  I'm not sure if you can pull a flatpack or appimage to open the files without installing it, just be careful not to open and save any existing projects you have or you'll create the problem for yourself too.  Kicad V9 is stated for Mar 2, 2025, ouch.

I've frozen my git version so if I make any updates it won't prolong the problem.  I made an issue about it on the git page.

The schematic is posted and all the PCB fab files are there so it can be cloned if you want to. 

Making windows for the face plates tonight. 

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 05:43:34 am »
Thanks for the link. I need to get 8.99 version in order to change the position of the encoder. I would also like to add some mounting holes.
PCBWay asks me about it, I wonder if they are even capable of making this hole with $5 budget option for 5pcbs :)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 06:14:12 am »
Thanks for the link. I need to get 8.99 version in order to change the position of the encoder. I would also like to add some mounting holes.
PCBWay asks me about it, I wonder if they are even capable of making this hole with $5 budget option for 5pcbs :)

I'm sure they can make the blank PCB for $5. Wait until you add up the component costs ;D Just curious why you are trying to move the encoder. That broke out edge isn't going anywhere.  The loads of the user using the encoder go to the front panel.  Meant to go back and do something about that, but the ksger board I have only has .3mm of material where mine broke out.

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 06:55:32 am »

Just curious why you are trying to move the encoder. That broke out edge isn't going anywhere.  The loads of the user using the encoder go to the front panel.  Meant to go back and do something about that, but the ksger board I have only has .3mm of material where mine broke out.
I plan to make it in a custom enclosure with enough space, so there's no need to leave this hole like that. For this reason, I also want additional mounting holes to ensure the PCB is securely mounted.
Wait until you add up the component costs ;D
I once checked the costs of parts and assembly at PCBWay and... well not interested :D

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 08:23:09 am »

Just curious why you are trying to move the encoder. That broke out edge isn't going anywhere.  The loads of the user using the encoder go to the front panel.  Meant to go back and do something about that, but the ksger board I have only has .3mm of material where mine broke out.
I plan to make it in a custom enclosure with enough space, so there's no need to leave this hole like that. For this reason, I also want additional mounting holes to ensure the PCB is securely mounted.
Wait until you add up the component costs ;D
I once checked the costs of parts and assembly at PCBWay and... well not interested :D

I went back and forth a bunch on what I should do to make it as useful to people as possible.  I figured it fitting inside the original cases was the best option.

Between the encoder and GX connector, the board is isn't going anywhere.  If you want a solid mount point use the GX connector area for a mount point since I assume you are moving the connector elsewhere.  All the connections are broken out elsewhere on the board.

I plan to sell the "PCB only version" with all the SMD components for $25.  Opamp is included but isn't installed so it's still ROHS for export. It has the connector and pigtail for battery backup included too, power connector and pigtail if wanted. But not installed as I don't do lead free. Cheaper overseas shipping that way.  So it needs a display, encoder, and connector.  Face plate is optional, but doesn't sound like you'd want one. As you can see I'm not going to make much on these and I didn't use cheap parts. Plus $3 goes to the firmware author just to be fair.  That firmware is that makes these stations great anyway.

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce, slavoy

Online slavoy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: Yesterday at 08:36:11 am »
And nothing wrong with that my friend  :-+
I am more than happy to use your design and modify it to suit my needs.
Let me know when you get it all sorted, I won't forget to mention it to my viewers  ;)

Offline wasyoungonce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: Yesterday at 11:55:30 am »

…….I plan to sell the "PCB only version" with all the SMD components for $25.  Opamp is included but isn't installed so it's still ROHS for export. It has the connector and pigtail for battery backup included too, power connector and pigtail if wanted. But not installed as I don't do lead free. Cheaper overseas shipping that way.  So it needs a display, encoder, and connector.  Face plate is optional, but doesn't sound like you'd want one. As you can see I'm not going to make much on these and I didn't use cheap parts. Plus $3 goes to the firmware author just to be fair.  That firmware is that makes these stations great anyway.

Face plate definitely.  But it’s more than just firmware. You included jumpers to use differing sensors etc and have done a heap of PCB layout that is an art in itself.  Don’t under sell your efforts.

Looking forward to it. Well done

Cheers

Online JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 08:27:30 pm »
I forked and manually downgraded the KiCad project to 8.0 (8.0.3) here:

https://github.com/hevanaa/Open-T12-Soldering-Station

Note. Downgrading a kicad project isn't a supported operation, so results cannot be guaranteed. Works for me (TM). No warranty etc.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: Yesterday at 08:30:12 pm »
I forked and manually downgraded the KiCad project to 8.0 (8.0.3) here:

https://github.com/hevanaa/Open-T12-Soldering-Station

Note. Downgrading a kicad project isn't a supported operation, so results cannot be guaranteed. Works for me (TM). No warranty etc.

How did you downgrade?  I couldn't find a way.
Thanks

Online JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: Yesterday at 08:54:57 pm »
Now this probably only works because the development version hasn't changed much since the stable version. But there could be unknown consequences, even if it seems to work fine at first.

Basically change the following back using a text editor to previous version in the kicad_sch file:

(kicad_sch
               (version 20231120)
               (generator_version "8.0")

Open it with Schematic editor and pray it isn't completely broken. It wasn't this time as the development version hasn't changed much from stable. Change something and save it.

Change the same attributes in the kicad_pcb file with a text editor:

(kicad_pcb
               (version 20240108)
               (generator_version "8.0")

Open it with kicad PCB. It complained about an unknown attribute in "(setup" part, row 44. Delete the attribute (the whole line in this case) with a text editor and open again with PCB editor. Do a small change and save.

The schematic did shuffle around (in the code) and change some labels, so I recommend to take a sharp look at the schematic if there is something odd. I was able to update back and forth from the schematic to the PCB, though.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 09:05:16 pm by JohanH »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf