Author Topic: Metcal GT-90/120 is still a METCAL?  (Read 409 times)

Online EverbraveTopic starter

• Contributor
Metcal GT-90/120 is still a METCAL?
« on: August 11, 2024, 11:19:50 am »
I was wondering why should one buy a Metcal GT-120 or GT-90 and not any other induction heated soldering station such as Quick 3202 (I have one and it’s a performer) or Xytronic LF-3200 or others which not only cheaper but also with cheaper tips!
The triumph characteristics of a METCAL were:
- HF inductive heating at 13.5MHz (small cartridge)
- integrated, direct tip heating
- seamless temperature regulation using Curie-point magnetic property
Then they relaxed,
- frequency lowered to 450KHz (bigger cartridge) in sp-200 and mfr system
- two-part cheating in PS-900
- digital PID temp. Control in GT-series (not mentioning the external power supply)

So, at the price of the GT-series, why buy it at all?
What’s remaining from METCAl in it?
Arguments are welcome:)

Thanks

Offline oPossum

• Super Contributor
  • Very dangerous - may attack at any time
Re: Metcal GT-90/120 is still a METCAL?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2024, 01:06:01 pm »
They have had low frequency (450-465 kHz) systems for 30+ years. They work well. Less expensive but fewer tips to choose from relative to the high frequency systems.

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2024, 03:50:30 pm »
I get the impression that the Metcal GT series is all about bells and whistles marketing, while providing very little actual substance. 

Also, I wouldn't buy any induction heated soldering station that did not use Curie-point temperature regulation, regardless of the manufacturer.

I have two Metcal PS-900 stations that I use with the PC9 (9 foot cord) handpieces. Tips are dirt cheap and last forever. And despite having a rated output of only 60 Watts, provided that you use an appropriate tip size for really heavy work, heat has never been a problem. Did I mention that they are damned near bulletproof?

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2024, 04:31:39 pm »
They have had low frequency (450-465 kHz) systems for 30+ years. They work well. Less expensive but fewer tips to choose from relative to the high frequency systems.
Makes Sense, somehow, to avoid coax cables and thus reduce cost, while sacrificing the cartridge size (skin effect!); I get this one but not the way you GT ;)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 04:43:47 pm by Everbrave »

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2024, 04:34:16 pm »
I get the impression that the Metcal GT series is all about bells and whistles marketing, while providing very little actual substance. 

Also, I wouldn't buy any induction heated soldering station that did not use Curie-point temperature regulation, regardless of the manufacturer.

I have two Metcal PS-900 stations that I use with the PC9 (9 foot cord) handpieces. Tips are dirt cheap and last forever. And despite having a rated output of only 60 Watts, provided that you use an appropriate tip size for really heavy work, heat has never been a problem. Did I mention that they are damned near bulletproof?
This is very encouraging since I’m thinking of “upgrading” from the sp-200 to ps-900; is the “upgrade” noticeably enough to justify the extra cost, what do you think?
BTW: CxV tips are not so cheap in Europe; rather on the price level of SxP!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2024, 04:46:03 pm by Everbrave »

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2024, 11:02:13 pm »
SDG was not a fan of the GT-90 and 120:

The idea was good, but the execution and price was not. The handpiece is much worse than on the MX5200.
They did cut the price, but, you can get used mx500 or 5000 for half the price so its still not worth really considering for hobbyists.

This is very encouraging since I’m thinking of “upgrading” from the sp-200 to ps-900; is the “upgrade” noticeably enough to justify the extra cost, what do you think?

You'd be going from 35W to 60W, so it would be noticeable. I wouldn't pay new prices ($300+), but used prices are usually good.

If you can get something that uses SFP tips, thermaltronics makes them cheaply: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=metcal+sfp
They also make cheap T31 tips: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=t31+thermaltronics

But as you say, can be difficult in Europe. In NA definitely metcal/thermaltronics is great, outside of there its harder to justify if you can't get cheap tips. Maybe if you are lucky you find a set which includes many tips.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 09:01:35 am »

The idea was good, but the execution and price was not. The handpiece is much worse than on the MX5200.
They did cut the price, but, you can get used mx500 or 5000 for half the price so it’s still not worth really considering for hobbyists.

You'd be going from 35W to 60W, so it would be noticeable. I wouldn't pay new prices ($300+), but used prices are usually good.

If you can get something that uses SFP tips, thermaltronics makes them cheaply: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=metcal+sfp

But as you say, can be difficult in Europe. In NA definitely metcal/thermaltronics is great, outside of there its harder to justify if you can't get cheap tips. Maybe if you are lucky you find a set which includes many tips.

I wounder what is the idea behind the GT-series?!
My Quick 3202 is a “classical” induction station and performs very well with dirt cheap tips (200-series tips common to many products of this kind).
I take my SP-200 , SSC-638A for delicate soldering. I also have a Weller WS81T (with the LT-tips; small and short) for bigger stuff.

The power rating is primarily helpful in the heat-up time and when soldering items with higher thermal capacity; well, a little longer time brings the required energy with the same power !
Mectal vs. Thermaltronics is an ongoing debate in product as well in cartridge quality, i.e. failure rate; do you have a personal experience writhing the Thermaltronics tips?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:46:45 pm by Everbrave »

Offline Arts

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 08:55:51 pm »

They did cut the price, but, you can get used mx500 or 5000 for half the price so it’s still not worth really considering for hobbyists.

I would think it was nothing more than a marketing exercise designed to target those who feel the need for variable temperature and fancy digital displays :-+

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #8 on: Today at 09:39:25 pm »

Maybe as Arts said, some customer asked for an adjustable temperature or specific temperature they didn't have. Or maybe marketing to get that max 120W output power figure.
GT is also optimized for a lower production cost (smaller, lighter, simpler internals).

The power rating is primarily helpful in the heat-up time and when soldering items with higher thermal capacity; well, a little longer time brings the required energy with the same power !
Mectal vs. Thermaltronics is an ongoing debate in product as well in cartridge quality, i.e. failure rate; do you have a personal experience writhing the Thermaltronics tips?

I have had no metcal or thermaltronics tips fail that I use.
mikeselectric had some fail and returned them under warranty, heres a related thread: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/manufacture/thermaltronics-m-series-tips-failing-more-often-than-expected/

The official tips seem to deliver a few more watts of power at peak. But I have no problem with the quality or performance of the thermaltronics tips, especially at $18/ea. Just don't buy their "power plus" junk.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf