Author Topic: Logic analyzers ... logic analyzers ...  (Read 8270 times)

alm

Re: Logic analyzers ... logic analyzers ...
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 03:29:03 pm »
When buying a logic analyzer, make sure you get the necessary cables, pods and flying leads. Pods can often cost more than the analyzer itself because they're much rarer (more often damaged/thrown away). A LA is useless without pods.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 03:56:09 pm »
Even though I worked for years with one of these old HP beasts and loved it at the time, I wouldn't trade it in for my <100€ USB logic analyzer.
The only thing were these old standalones (at least the HP ones) really are superior is the trigger setup. But honestly, most of the time, it's enough to trigger on an edge or simply use no trigger at all and look at the sample buffer.
Besides, the cheap USB LAs usually have a lot of free decoding options, while the old standalones come from a time where there was no USB or even SPI. My HP LA at work could disassemble 8bit opcodes of some obsolete MOS CPU, but what it this good for now?

What I can recommend is e.g. the LAP-C(16032) as you can patch it to the LAP-C(16128). I bought mine for less than 90€, and got 30 protocol decoders for free. Also the GUI has pretty nice features (like counting edges between cursors accessing the sample memory of several scopes. The only drawback is the pretty bad trigger system. More or less only a simple edge trigger.

An even cheaper option is the Open Logic Sniffer which costs less than 50€ and has a the most important decoders like SPI and I2C. In theory, it has a trigger logic that could compete with the old HP standalones, but in reality, the GUI still doesn't support these complex triggers. Main drawbacks: no case, no input protection, noise on floating inputs, GUI is a bit lacking, not so many protocol decoders available, limited record length, pre-trigger setup doesn't really work with activated compression. Still, it's unbeatable for the price and as it's so small and doesn't need a big software/driver installation, I always have it in my bag and already used it dozens of times at work.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline chrome

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 04:11:02 pm »
Even though I worked for years with one of these old HP beasts and loved it at the time, I wouldn't trade it in for my <100€ USB logic analyzer.
The only thing were these old standalones (at least the HP ones) really are superior is the trigger setup. But honestly, most of the time, it's enough to trigger on an edge or simply use no trigger at all and look at the sample buffer.
Besides, the cheap USB LAs usually have a lot of free decoding options, while the old standalones come from a time where there was no USB or even SPI. My HP LA at work could disassemble 8bit opcodes of some obsolete MOS CPU, but what it this good for now?

What I can recommend is e.g. the LAP-C(16032) as you can patch it to the LAP-C(16128). I bought mine for less than 90€, and got 30 protocol decoders for free. Also the GUI has pretty nice features (like counting edges between cursors accessing the sample memory of several scopes. The only drawback is the pretty bad trigger system. More or less only a simple edge trigger.

An even cheaper option is the Open Logic Sniffer which costs less than 50€ and has a the most important decoders like SPI and I2C. In theory, it has a trigger logic that could compete with the old HP standalones, but in reality, the GUI still doesn't support these complex triggers. Main drawbacks: no case, no input protection, noise on floating inputs, GUI is a bit lacking, not so many protocol decoders available, limited record length, pre-trigger setup doesn't really work with activated compression. Still, it's unbeatable for the price and as it's so small and doesn't need a big software/driver installation, I always have it in my bag and already used it dozens of times at work.

You can buy a trigger package for that zeroplus logic cube that can trigger on data.

Also they have a free dev kit wherere you can make your own protocols (atleast that's what i get out of it).

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 04:19:14 pm »
You can buy a trigger package for that zeroplus logic cube that can trigger on data.
As far as I understand, it doesn't really trigger on data, but it only finds and marks the data fitting the search pattern in the already acquired sample buffer. They also sell an external pulse width trigger extension, but as all the extensions, it's quite expensive compared to the base price. And it's a kind of workaround anyway.

Also they have a free dev kit wherere you can make your own protocols (atleast that's what i get out of it).
Yeah, sure. I just figure that nobody ever used it to implement a free protocol. Besides, as you can select 30 protocols for free and already get a few additional protocols in addition to this, this would be mainly useful for very new or exotic protocols. I once toyed with the idea to write a SENT decoders for either OLS or ZeroPlus, but never found the time or enthusiasm ;)

Offline chrome

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 04:24:25 pm »
Do you have a link to the patching from 16032 to 16128 ?

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 04:34:22 pm »
I recently uploaded the files and description and posted a link in this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/usb-logic-analyzer-%28sorry-long%29/30/

Please note that if you upgrade after patching, you will lose the free protocols. You must register the patched (!) device, then the protocols also work on the patched hardware. Furthermore, instead of patching the EEPROM, you can also patch a DLL. I guess the problem with the protocols is the same though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 04:37:50 pm by 0xdeadbeef »

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 04:55:30 pm »
... So this is the reason there are so many old LA's around in my town ... I shall just stick to the OHS that i eyed for a long time
How about the power supply, guys ?

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 05:10:17 pm »
Send the one you don't want to me........;)

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 05:35:14 pm »
... So this is the reason there are so many old LA's around in my town ...
Yeah, honestly, who wants to mess around with disk drives in the 21st century? Besides, they tend to be broken anyway after all that time.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Do you really need a triple supply?
Personally, I'd prefer one with lower current capability (<=3A) but better current resolution (~1mA) since this is what I need for electronics most of the times.  If you really need higher currents, buy some switched mode supply from Manson or whatever. Also, I find it very useful (even mandatory honestly) to be able to set the current limitation without applying a short circuit to the terminals.  Can't tell though if this is possible with the two PSUs you selected.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 06:02:10 pm »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2012, 07:51:24 pm »
... So this is the reason there are so many old LA's around in my town ...
Yeah, honestly, who wants to mess around with disk drives in the 21st century? Besides, they tend to be broken anyway after all that time.

Depends on what you want to do with it. Do you really need a triple supply?
Personally, I'd prefer one with lower current capability (<=3A) but better current resolution (~1mA) since this is what I need for electronics most of the times.  If you really need higher currents, buy some switched mode supply from Manson or whatever. Also, I find it very useful (even mandatory honestly) to be able to set the current limitation without applying a short circuit to the terminals.  Can't tell though if this is possible with the two PSUs you selected.
They are standard 30v 2 channels 0-3Amps like the ones from GW ...

http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/HP-1650A-LOGIC-ANALYZER-/170831185814?pt=BI_Analyzers&hash=item27c6550796#ht_3572wt_948
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/HP-1651A-LOGIC-ANALYZER-/310357660015?pt=BI_Analyzers&hash=item4842c2116f#ht_3572wt_948
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/TEKTRONIX-1230-LOGIC-ANALYZER-/310353509033?pt=BI_Analyzers&hash=item484282baa9#ht_3329wt_905
http://www.ebay.com.sg/itm/THURLBY-LA3200-LOGIC-ANALYSER-/310392261101?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4844d209ed#ht_2934wt_907

Which one should i get ( this is local so i guess i can arrange for pickup with them )
Be careful with buy9.99. He doesn't know what he is selling!
You'll need operating disks for most HP logic analyzers. If you have limited requirements you are probably better of with a simple USB logic analyzer. Otherwise I recommend a Tektronix TLA700 series.

I can walk to him in person, it's a small country this
But yeah ... old logic analyzers ? only good for a paperweight because of their functionality

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2012, 10:24:27 pm »
Singapore is nice but a tad to large for walking and too hot for cycling. I've been on the airport about 16 times :-) Actually got to visit the city twice. The old fortress on Sentosa Island is interesting. Especially the funny drawings made by Dutch POWs :)
But yeah ... old logic analyzers ? only good for a paperweight because of their functionality
Some are nice but every few years you need to 'upgrade'.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2012, 11:25:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2012, 10:42:25 pm »
Well, they're both triple output, although the third one is limited as usual. Also the BK one shows "00.1" Amps in open load, so it obviously can only measure (and set?) current with 100mA accuracy - and it is 100mA off from the start. The other one seems to have a 10mA resolution (and 10mA off in open load), which is better, but also not great. If you want to play around with diodes and optocouplers, it's nice if you can limit and measure currents in the 1 or 2mA range. But that's just my 2cents.

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2012, 11:22:36 am »
Well, they're both triple output, although the third one is limited as usual. Also the BK one shows "00.1" Amps in open load, so it obviously can only measure (and set?) current with 100mA accuracy - and it is 100mA off from the start. The other one seems to have a 10mA resolution (and 10mA off in open load), which is better, but also not great. If you want to play around with diodes and optocouplers, it's nice if you can limit and measure currents in the 1 or 2mA range. But that's just my 2cents.

but yeah ... that sort of current control are for precision power supplies and those are pretty expensive and i don't think i can ever find them here but if i do find them on ebay the shipping can be a quite a bomb

Offline T4PTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2012, 02:41:03 pm »
Singapore is nice but a tad to large for walking and too hot for cycling. I've been on the airport about 16 times :-) Actually got to visit the city twice. The old fortress on Sentosa Island is interesting. Especially the funny drawings made by Dutch POWs :)
Some are nice but every few years you need to 'upgrade'.
Boy, hardly do i walk anyway, i do cycle around and i get used to the crazy weather here
Oh the corporation replied me already, they are in the west but it's not a problem taking public transport ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf