Author Topic: How do you operate the Quick 856AD hot air rework station?  (Read 1649 times)

Offline JoebeazelmanTopic starter

• Contributor
How do you operate the Quick 856AD hot air rework station?
« on: September 17, 2023, 04:24:17 pm »
I purchased a used Quick 856AD as an upgrade to my Aoyue 968+ hot air station. Despite its large, brightly lit display with several buttons, the user interface is astoundingly counterintuitive. To say it's easier to program a VCR from the 80s is a major understatement. For the life of me, I cannot change the temperature or the flow rate of the machine. The supplied manual is completely useless. It was written by someone who failed English as a second language and technical writing. Any instructions or resources would be greatly welcomed.

Specifically, I want to know:

1. How do you change the temperature and flow rate during soldering?
2. Conceptually what is a channel and what are the three channel buttons for?
3. I can cycle through settings and see CH0 through CH9 displayed, what are these channels? Are these misnomers for preset programs?

Once I figure out how to operate it, I plan on writing a review with a full teardown. I will also discuss its differences with my Aoyue 968A+ and a Weller WTHA1N hot air station, which is in disrepair. I'm sure you will find it very interesting.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: How do you operate the Quick 856AD hot air rework station?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2023, 05:18:06 pm »
1. If it's similar to Quick 861, then you just need to press air and temp buttons to change temperature and airflow.
2. CH buttons apply settings from saved profile.
Are these misnomers for preset programs?
Yes
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 05:23:27 pm by wraper »

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2023, 05:40:04 pm »
First, it's my first time using a Quick. The buttons don't work when it's running a preset. Does the wand have to be in the stand? I have one on order from China in a couple of weeks.

I did get the airflow and temperature to change and save it as a preset, but it was after various pressing button combinations I saw in the manual. There's no rhythm, rhyme or reason to its horrible UI.

Oddly enough, occasionally a symbol that looks like an upside down A or anarchy symbol () will show up after pressing button. I haven't seen this symbol in the manual. It's similar to a common witchcraft symbol. Maybe it's possessed? I may not any holy water, but I got some IPA to blind whatever demon lurks inside.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 06:01:22 pm by Joebeazelman »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2023, 07:23:34 pm »
First, it's my first time using a Quick. The buttons don't work when it's running a preset.
I only have experience with 861. On it buttons work all of the time except while cooling down. But it does not have reflow programs, only set temperature/airflow. If program is running, it would not be surprising that controls get locked.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2023, 07:44:19 pm by wraper »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2023, 07:30:39 pm »
I checked the manual http://www5.biall.com.pl/BAZA_PRODUKTOW_SMB/202382/202382.INSTRUKCJA_EN..2013-12-11.1.pdf Looks like machine translation from Chinese.
I guess you could try pressing CH2 and info or CH3 and info simultaneously and see if controls by air/temp buttons get unlocked.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2023, 07:38:45 pm »
I found Russian manual which is written in proper sensible language https://micromir-nn.ru/Soldering/Quick/QUICK856AD.pdf
You'd have way better experience google translating that rather than trying to understand Chinglish garbage.

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2023, 02:14:30 pm »
LOL!  Thanks! This is one of those why didn't I think of that moments! I should have downloaded the Chinese version and used Google translate.

Apparently, Quick didn't think about that either. When I translate from English to another language, I use Google translate as a first pass, but I always edit it to ensure it's correct and idiomatic. In this case, Google translate alone would have done a better job. The lack of care for the customer is appalling and unacceptable. Not a good look on the part of Quick. I'll be sure to mention this in my review.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2023, 03:27:07 pm »
I should have downloaded the Chinese version and used Google translate.
Machine translation works very poorly with logographic languages such as Chinese and Japanese. Therefore I suggested Russian which usually translates well enough.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf