Author Topic: Any opinions on the AiXun T3A?  (Read 272631 times)

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Any opinions on the AiXun T3A?
« Reply #625 on: October 23, 2022, 08:45:52 pm »
I don't have any connector there and there is only a single thin wire with a grommet coming out of the center of the back. That wire is terminated to the screw where the eyelet is in the photo and the green wire has another eyelet on the side, touching the metal holder for the soldering iron. That's where it went bad on mine.

Ah ok. Well yes that sounds like the same here. Simply was in the middle of doing some other custom mods on it. Which are not related to this matter. So when ignoring those:

Just focusing purely on the stand detect feature: the black wire is crimped directly into the green eyelet. So that was always good?

But you are saying you had a poor connection to the metal holder? So the side where the hinge is? It should be making a connection pressed against with the only 1 screw. (which is a 3.0mm hex security screw). So is that the part was discussed previously about the plastic washer? Hmm...

well I went to go back and check that too. However maybe it fell out and got lost on the floor when I was unscrewing it, not sure. However what was still in the hinge was... a dull grey washer. Very light and relatively thick so perhaps it is like some coated aluminum (dark grey like base unit is made from). I tested with DMM continuuity and it conducts. Also scratches like metal...

Sorry never took any photo of that hinge part, which is the other end of it.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #626 on: October 24, 2022, 08:27:20 pm »
Just focusing purely on the stand detect feature: the black wire is crimped directly into the green eyelet. So that was always good?
Yes, that one is solid.

But you are saying you had a poor connection to the metal holder? So the side where the hinge is? It should be making a connection pressed against with the only 1 screw. (which is a 3.0mm hex security screw). So is that the part was discussed previously about the plastic washer? Hmm...

Yep, exactly that.

I guess there are multiple variants of these stands around - as with everything from Aliexpress ...

The following users thanked this post: dreamcat4

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #627 on: October 24, 2022, 11:07:02 pm »
Hi folks, just circling back to share the latest and I think, final update to my Aixun T3A unit...

Nice work! I bet it could be shoehorned into the good stand.  There's not a lot of room inside, but the circuit doesn't look very large.

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #628 on: October 25, 2022, 12:01:38 am »
Hi folks, just circling back to share the latest and I think, final update to my Aixun T3A unit...

Nice work! I bet it could be shoehorned into the good stand.  There's not a lot of room inside, but the circuit doesn't look very large.

i am only putting the led activity light into my stand. then 1 tvs diode on the thermocouple input. and allo 1 tvs diode on the stand detect...

those mods are cut down / simplified version. my mods means t245 only. so no more shake or id wires (no t12 anymore). so it simplifies the wiring.

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #629 on: October 25, 2022, 02:17:05 am »
Nice, the circuit is really only 2 components for ESD protection (for the 245 handle anyways).  C3 (1uf) and D5 (TVS diode).  You could just solder them together, then solder between pins 2 & 4 in the stand (be careful with the leads!).  R1, D1, and D2 really aren't necessary.  R1 just limits the brightness of the LED, and (as already stated) D1 is reverse voltage protection for the LED.  Besides, you already have the bar graph on the device itself.  People have the option though, build it however you want.  Thanks again!     
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 02:21:46 am by Ungolian »

Offline Dragonisko

• Contributor
« Reply #630 on: October 26, 2022, 05:55:32 pm »
Could anyone recomend a good shop with knockoffs tips ? trying to find something simmilar to c245-034

Offline sobakava

• Contributor
« Reply #631 on: October 27, 2022, 01:13:22 pm »
Where to buy Aixun T3B in Europe? Is there a reasonable priced online reseller?

What is the customs proceure if I order from Aliexpress (to Luxembourg for instance)?

Thanks

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #632 on: October 27, 2022, 04:23:16 pm »

What is the customs proceure if I order from Aliexpress (to Luxembourg for instance)?

Thanks

When you buy from Aliexpress in Europe as a private customer, VAT is included in the price, because they are registered in EU. Probably you don't have to pay import tax neither, at least I don't have. That's probably because they take care of the import to Europe. If I on the other hand buy similar stuff from Ebay (from a Chinese seller), I don't have to pay VAT, because they are also registered, but I might have to pay import taxes, because it isn't imported by the seller.

Offline sobakava

• Contributor
« Reply #633 on: October 27, 2022, 04:47:46 pm »

Thanks

When you buy from Aliexpress in Europe as a private customer, VAT is included in the price, because they are registered in EU. Probably you don't have to pay import tax neither, at least I don't have. That's probably because they take care of the import to Europe. If I on the other hand buy similar stuff from Ebay (from a Chinese seller), I don't have to pay VAT, because they are also registered, but I might have to pay import taxes, because it isn't imported by the seller.

That helps a lot, thank you. Is there a limitation in terms the total amount of the item for personally importing a product? I mean let's say if the value is larger than 10K Euro, can I still order it personally, pay taxes and receive it? In some countries I think there is a limit for personal international purchases, that's why I am asking..

Offline JohanH

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #634 on: October 28, 2022, 06:09:13 am »

That helps a lot, thank you. Is there a limitation in terms the total amount of the item for personally importing a product? I mean let's say if the value is larger than 10K Euro, can I still order it personally, pay taxes and receive it? In some countries I think there is a limit for personal international purchases, that's why I am asking..

I don't think there is, but you should check customs information for the country in question. There might be different practices between EU countries. Also, I might have the information somewhat wrong about customs duty. I think it's up to the shipping company to notify you about it (at least this is what is said on the Finnish customs web page), and not the seller that handles it (some do, e.g. I don't have to pay customs duty when I buy from Mouser from the US, only VAT). But VAT is definitely paid at the moment you buy it, because Ali are VAT registered in EU. For a large shipment, you most likely will have to pay customs duty. But the shipping company should contact you.

Offline janoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #635 on: October 29, 2022, 07:20:24 pm »

Limit not really but the prepaid VAT system using the IOSS (one stop system) is only applicable for orders < 150€ in value (don't quote me on that figure).

For everything more valuable you will need to go through the regular customs procedure - which may include a trip to the customs office, paying the VAT and any customs due before your package is released. That is regardless whether or not the seller is registered in the IOSS system (Aliexpress, Banggood and even eBay are).

So, in theory, I could order even a brand new Corvette directly from US - but the import paperwork and hassle could cost as much as half of the car ...

Now whether or not you get hassled with this depends a lot on the country, what are you ordering and how "lucky" you get with the customs officer. The enforcement of these rules can be quite haphazard and inconsistent because not 100% of all packages are checked (there are simply way too many of them). So usually only the bigger and/or more valuable things get the attention of the customs.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 07:22:34 pm by janoc »

The following users thanked this post: JohanH

Offline eevnoob

• Contributor
« Reply #636 on: November 04, 2022, 09:07:06 pm »
hi, i'm jumping over from my own thread [https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/first-budget-soldering-station-recommendations-q4-2002/] to ask if AiXun T3A is a better value than the Weller WE1010NA and Hakko FX888D (currently it appears I can get the T12 version from ali for $95 USD, $90 and $110 for the Weller and Hakko respectively)? the AiXun appears more versatile, but I'm concerned about whether the build quality is reliable enough for many years of use, and as I don't have another iron, I can't modify the innards to make it safer (which seems to be what the KSGERs requires). appreciate any feedback!

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #637 on: November 04, 2022, 10:21:48 pm »
Well...  If you're going to use T12 tips exclusively, then no.  It isn't the better value.  T12 tips (and the Weller WE1010NA) are limited to 70-ish watts.  The real appeal of the T3A  is to be able to use the JBC 245 tips at 180 watts, for less than JBC prices.  JBC tips are more expensive than the knock off T12 tips (which don't last as long), and slightly more expensive than real Hakkos (while being able to deliver over twice the power).  As for build quality, Aixun has definitely improved it, it was a little shaky at launch.  Very few people have reported any serious issues after using it for a while, and I don't think anyone has reported any day 1 failures.  That being said, there are some issues with the T3A straight out of the box- namely no ESD protection (which appears to have damaged some units according to the posts), and the filter caps in the power supply are cheap and should be replaced (which I haven't seen any posts of failures, and is about $6 in parts to address).  Also, I'm not sure if Aixun added protection to the mosfet that drives the tip (if that fails, it will ruin the tip).  Correct me if I'm wrong.  ESD protection had been addressed with a mod a page back (literally none of these budget stations have any), and the filter caps aren't a HUGE issue, but for long term peace of mind, they should be changed.  You just need to decide how much you want to spend, and where you see your soldering needs could be in the future.  You could get the T3A now, use it with the T12 tips, then transition to the 245 system in the future.  To be able to do that in one unit does have a lot of value.       

Offline river

• Contributor
« Reply #638 on: November 04, 2022, 11:18:56 pm »
Can you just buy and connect a  JBC brand T245 handle  to the front of the Aixun T3A  or do you have to only use the  Aixun handle but then just swap the  JBC tips in for the no brand ones?

is the connector in the front of the Aixun  T3A  compatible with JBC brand connector/cable.
thanks

Offline eevnoob

• Contributor
« Reply #639 on: November 05, 2022, 01:53:15 am »
thank you for the useful info. unfortunately the aixun not being ready to go out of the box is a deal breaker for me. it's a shame that these low cost cartridge based stations have issues (grounding/ESD) that should've been addressed before even leaving the factory.
Well...  If you're going to use T12 tips exclusively, then no.  It isn't the better value.  T12 tips (and the Weller WE1010NA) are limited to 70-ish watts.  The real appeal of the T3A  is to be able to use the JBC 245 tips at 180 watts, for less than JBC prices.  JBC tips are more expensive than the knock off T12 tips (which don't last as long), and slightly more expensive than real Hakkos (while being able to deliver over twice the power).  As for build quality, Aixun has definitely improved it, it was a little shaky at launch.  Very few people have reported any serious issues after using it for a while, and I don't think anyone has reported any day 1 failures.  That being said, there are some issues with the T3A straight out of the box- namely no ESD protection (which appears to have damaged some units according to the posts), and the filter caps in the power supply are cheap and should be replaced (which I haven't seen any posts of failures, and is about $6 in parts to address).  Also, I'm not sure if Aixun added protection to the mosfet that drives the tip (if that fails, it will ruin the tip).  Correct me if I'm wrong.  ESD protection had been addressed with a mod a page back (literally none of these budget stations have any), and the filter caps aren't a HUGE issue, but for long term peace of mind, they should be changed.  You just need to decide how much you want to spend, and where you see your soldering needs could be in the future.  You could get the T3A now, use it with the T12 tips, then transition to the 245 system in the future.  To be able to do that in one unit does have a lot of value.       
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 02:04:00 am by eevnoob »

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #640 on: November 05, 2022, 01:37:43 pm »
thank you for the useful info. unfortunately the aixun not being ready to go out of the box is a deal breaker for me. it's a shame that these low cost cartridge based stations have issues (grounding/ESD) that should've been addressed before even leaving the factory.

Based on that reasoning, literally everything in your price range is a deal breaker.  There are people using the Aixun as is for production work with no reported issues.  Second, it costs about $8 in parts to address these issues.  About $6 for the filter caps for the power supply (which again, isn't an immediate issue), and another $2 for a TVS diode and a small cap.  You aren't going to get those features out of the box from the factory for under $300, and even then, it would be Pace or something else that doesn't have the Aixun's power.  For the price/performance ratio, the Aixun is impossible to beat, and the other issues are easily addressed.   

Oh!  And the ESD protection is for the iron itself, not to protect the components you are working on.  The tip is grounded, and ESD safe for that. 
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 01:42:13 pm by Ungolian »

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #641 on: November 05, 2022, 01:38:51 pm »
Can you just buy and connect a  JBC brand T245 handle  to the front of the Aixun T3A  or do you have to only use the  Aixun handle but then just swap the  JBC tips in for the no brand ones?

is the connector in the front of the Aixun  T3A  compatible with JBC brand connector/cable.
thanks

You need the change the wiring in the handle or the connector, then it will work.  Instructions for that are further back in this thread. 

The following users thanked this post: river

Offline eevnoob

• Contributor
« Reply #642 on: November 05, 2022, 09:20:27 pm »
Based on that reasoning, literally everything in your price range is a deal breaker.  There are people using the Aixun as is for production work with no reported issues.  Second, it costs about $8 in parts to address these issues.  About $6 for the filter caps for the power supply (which again, isn't an immediate issue), and another $2 for a TVS diode and a small cap.  You aren't going to get those features out of the box from the factory for under $300, and even then, it would be Pace or something else that doesn't have the Aixun's power.  For the price/performance ratio, the Aixun is impossible to beat, and the other issues are easily addressed.   

Oh!  And the ESD protection is for the iron itself, not to protect the components you are working on.  The tip is grounded, and ESD safe for that.
ok, you're saying everything included in the Aixun box (handle, case, power supply) should be properly grounded and ESD safe straight from the factory without additional modification, unlike the KSGERs? or will additional soldering of the internals be necessary for it to be safely used? the other internal improvements that could be done should probably wait until my skills improve. as for the C245 tips, oof i didn't realize the genuine ones were so expensive (~$30 each). is the value of a genuine C245 tip much greater than a T12? perhaps it is most economical to start off by taking the plunge now on a genuine general purpose C245 tip and expand as needed? thanks for your help!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 09:39:09 pm by eevnoob »

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #643 on: November 05, 2022, 09:57:33 pm »
ok, you're saying everything included in the Aixun box (handle, case, power supply) should be properly grounded and ESD safe straight from the factory without additional modification

yes

will additional soldering of the internals be necessary for it to be safely used?

no

the other internal improvements that could be done should probably wait until my skills improve.

i think in fairness anybody could pretty easily do the necessary set of mods (at least the simpler set that i myself recommend). The only thing you really need is a cheap modern 2nd soldering iron, for example a Pinecil should be good enough. And they are reasonably affordable compared to the price of the aixun t3a. Also: once you did the mods on the aixun you could probably just sell the pinecil on ebay. Or keep it as an emergency backup iron and/or portable iron. Or give it to a family member as a gift. Well whatever...

didn't realize the genuine ones were so expensive (~$30 each). is the value of a genuine C245 tip much greater than a T12? perhaps it is most economical to start off by taking the plunge now on a genuine general purpose C245 tip and expand as needed? thanks for your help!

I didn't understand the wording there. But yes the tips cost a fair bit of money. But yes they are also worth paying the money. So you are correct that is the right approach to slowly building up a collection over a longer time.

To think of it another way, don't waste money on buying anything T12 tips, you can then afford more quickly to build up money towards the better C245 cartridges.

There is no silver arrow for the tips, nothing else on the market as an equal alternative. Other than trying to find some used metcal station... but that is a different type of device. It works differently and has it's own pros and cons. Most people are not going to get a Metcal (and nor are they necessarily meaningfully better, depending on your preferences for how you are soldering etc.). So to leave metcal out of the discussion here (for this thread). You can research it off your own back elsewhere. The Aixun is the best all round soldering station as things currently stand in 2022. When used in combination with the genunine JBC tips.

I would also recommend just get the T245 handle from the beginning. And not bother with the T12 compatibility thing. It makes mods easier, and you need all your money to save for those official JBC C245 cartridges anyhow.

The following users thanked this post: eevnoob

Offline dreamcat4

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #644 on: November 05, 2022, 10:07:51 pm »
There is no silver arrow for the tips, nothing else on the market as an equal alternative

Sorry I forgot to talk about those cheaper chinese Aixun branded clone C245 tips. Like the 3 you get with the station (and can order more from aliexpress)...

Originally I was under the impression that you could just use those aixun tips for smaller thermal mass finer point sizes. I.e. for micro soldering. Since their lower performance should not matter as much when the tip is smaller, it already limits the amount of thermal transfer possible.

So that then becomes a way to cut corners on some of the tips (but not others). So for medium and large tip sizes you would still need to buy genuine JBC ones. Since those require a higher performance. Which the genuine JBC delivers.

However when talking about this matter with others, somebody has noticed a difference in the finishing quality on the tips, such that the part of the end of the tip that wicks solder upwards (and away from your work area, the business end where the contact actually occurs)...

well this is in fact different between the aixun tips and the genuine jbc ones. So that then makes the genuine JBC tips have a better usability, and easier wicking / easier control of applying fresh load of solder onto the tip. That it does not loose itself by creeking up the side of the iron. Which can be pretty annoying when micro soldering TBH.

So even then for small tips, the genuine JBC seems better. Sorry to make things less clear. But hopefully that helps to clarify some of the reason(s) for spending more on the genuine JBC tips. Vs the chinese clone tips.

Offline al777

• Contributor
« Reply #645 on: November 06, 2022, 02:01:30 am »
@eevnoob: I'd echo dreamcat4 - go for AiXun T3A in T245 version, AND get the genuine JBC tips - they do make a lot of difference, heat transfer is **much** higher, anyone can see it on the base station screen (the left side power delivery bar) when touching high thermal mass joint or wet cleaning sponge. I also see it via LED behaviour on the mod I've done (posted on p.25) - both the on-screen bar and the LED show the same - much more power is delivered to the heater more continuously when the tip is genuine.

The cheap AliExpress-sourced C245 tips do work, but they kind off negate the benefit of the whole T245 system - even if the tip is in a good contact with a high thermal mass joint - power is delivered in much shorter and further apart bursts, indicating that there is a higher thermal resistance between the heater and the actual tip. Most likely (if you would do an X-ray - you'd likely see it) - there is an air gap between the heater coil and the outer shell of the tip. So, going for genuine tips is a very valid suggestion.

As for ESD mods - I want to keep T3A for long time, hence I went all the way, protecting the back "idle" connector (see p.22) and the front connector (p.25), both are NOT necessary to just use T3A. But they do give me peace of mind, together with re-capping of the base PSU (also p.22). These ESD mods are not required to protect **what** you are soldering. Only to protect (long-term) the station itself.

And I'd also recommend to get a second iron - nothing ruins your day devoted to a project like your only iron failing! :-) . It could be either something like Pinecil (I don't have it - cannot comment on how good it is) or you could look for something like "CXG" branded "station in a handle" irons, basically an AC-powered, much older style (Hakko's 900M-style tips), but it's a full solution which is very portable - just the iron itself with an AC cord attached, thermo stabilized, with a little LCD or LED display and a few buttons to control it. And 900M tips are dirt cheap, and can be had in pure unplated copper if that's your thing (good heat transfer, but they are expendables) . Or similar design "WiT" irons. I have several of these and still use them quite a lot when I need to solder something off my bench. Be aware - you need 120VAC version for use in US/Canada/other 120VAC countries, by default those "station in a handle" irons are made for Chinese market, 220VAC only - get the vendor to confirm which version they are selling.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2022, 02:16:34 am by al777 »

Offline mastershake

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #646 on: November 07, 2022, 01:21:04 am »
not sure if posted yet but there is newer firmware for the t3a t3b and t420d

AIXUN T3A
1.27 (2022-10-24)
Fix usb driver compatibility issues;

Offline eevnoob

• Contributor
« Reply #647 on: November 07, 2022, 10:31:28 pm »
i just came across these soldering stations from Aifen that support T210/T245/T115 handles: the A2 and A3. the cost is in the $85 range, which appears to be an excellent value. this range of handles seems perfect for someone who wants to be able to do both macro and micro soldering in one station. could i have your feedback on them: do they appear to be a good alternative to the T3A/T3B for those on a smaller budget?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804332568077.html
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804050181951.html

there's also this Yahua 982 station that supports T210 and T245 for under $80.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256804662520342.html
https://www.yihuatools.com/Product/yihua3_100000470585933.html

one final question: to the many in this thread that have used both Hakko T12 and JBC T210/T245/T115 tips, is the 3x+ greater cost justified in terms of soldering performance and tip longevity? i understand that professionals are usually willing to pay a premium to save time, but would the same cost/value ratio exist to someone who is still inexperienced (if they're unlikely to "appreciate" it)? i can only afford one, maybe two genuine JBC tips when combined with one of these lower cost stations.  if 90% of macro size jobs can be accomplished using one/two general-purpose tips, i can hold out for the quality and availability of JBC clone tips to improve. hopefully as the future cost of JBC clones decreases, competition among clone tip manufacturers will increase, with a corresponding increase in quality and availability. but that isn't guaranteed, and at this moment there are many affordable T12 clone tips in the market, so if the majority of my soldering work is in the lower power domain (below 70W), the T12 should still produce good results?  appreciate your insights!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 02:24:09 am by eevnoob »

The following users thanked this post: Ungolian

Offline Ungolian

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #648 on: November 09, 2022, 02:00:48 am »

one final question: to the many in this thread that have used both Hakko T12 and JBC T210/T245/T115 tips, is the 3x+ greater cost justified in terms of soldering performance and tip longevity?

Yes.  Nothing beats the JBC system (except maybe Metcal, but we aren't talking about that here).  You will get very few arguments.  Those other stations MAY be ok, but they don't have the raw power of the Aixun.  They could also struggle from firmware issues (the #1 killer of potentially good chinese stations).  The Aixun, on the other hand, has phenominal firmware support.  A real rarity among Chinesium soldering stations.  Again, the T3A is one of the top 3 soldering stations in ANY price range.  You're eventually going to get to this point anyways, just do yourself a favor, cut to the chase, and just get the T3A. Stuff is getting more expensive too...  You could get away with 2 tips- C245-158E/159E (both are fine for general use, depends on how small you want to work with), and a general D24 or C2 type  like the C245-155E/C245-774/C245-945 (for medium tasks like tinning heavier gauge wires, jack/pot lugs).  I'd go C245-159E and C2 (the C245-945).  Small enough for some SMD work, general small to medium PCB work, enough power to solder medium sized wires, pots, jacks, and you can also drag solder with the C2.  The Aixun + maybe another $80 gets you everything you'd need to do about 95% of small to medium jobs.  Some smaller SMD stuff could be a problem, as well as larger power mosfets and ground planes.  But it will probably be a while before you're able to do that stuff anyways.  So save up.       

Offline pope

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #649 on: November 13, 2022, 05:57:36 pm »
I'm checking on the jbc website and there are so many different soldering station...

What jbc model would you compare the T3A to in terms of performance?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2022, 09:44:26 pm by pope »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf