Author Topic: Agilent 33521 Teardown  (Read 9995 times)

Offline free_electronTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
Agilent 33521 Teardown
« on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:32 am »
I scored this beauty today... local biochem lab closed. i was hunting for some benches... but picked this up instead... no i'm not gonna tell you what i gave for it because you'll cry...

oh, all right, but i'll camouflage it a bit so it doesn't hit too hard : its a 3 digit positive integer with the leading digit being a 1.... the same number could also mean '4' if the base was binary...

30Mhz, 250Ms/s arb generator. This thing is killer.
But enough sniffin : time to rip it apart

first image : bottom of the machine. Immediately clear is the tin can that holds the output amplifier. i ould not pry it open it seems to be soldered to the PCB ... Above that is the footprint of a fat BGA device and a bit higher we find a QFN package. bottomm right sits a plug-in board with obviously another big BGA ...

Second Image : that plug in board removed. Jep. the brains of the outfit. An ARM based Spear 600 monster. Clearly thi board has other purposes as there is room for another big monster BGA that is unpopulated. The chip bottom right is a Vitesse Ethernet Phy. U402 to the left is a big Flash device (ST) and completely left we find and SDRAM from micron. This thing packs a punch... and runs Windows CE as an os. Boots in 2 seconds flat.

third image. the little qfn we saw on the bottom of the board i an AD9517 multi-outout clock generator. They make a multi-phasic clock with this thing and it looks like they all go in the FPGA. i guess they use this to make logic that interleaves in time to spead up things.

fourth image : the screamer DAC. this is a 250 MHz dual channel 16 bit, yes, count em 16 bit dac ... the unpopulated footprint is for the dual channel version (33522).

fifth image : overview of the main board. Left is all power supply and distribution. The board gets a single 5 volt supply from a COTS brick.
the grey box under the flex holds the master clock oscillator ( on the backside there sits that multiphase clock generator )
below we find a Cyclone 3C25 FPGA with to the right another SDRAM. below the FPGA sits that TXDAC followed by the heatsink of the output amplifier , filter bank relays and in the tin can topside the output attenuator.

the empty space in the middle can hold an identical clone fo the entire dac -> output stage and to the left of the fpga is room for another sdram for that second channel.

sixt image: We're bootin'.

Seventh image : some wacky arb signal left in there by the previous owner.

i'll post some more succulent info tomorrow and a bunch of additional screenshots of the different things this machine offers. it is -very- extensive.

Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
Re: Agilent 33521 Teardown
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2012, 07:50:28 am »
My 3352B arrives from the Element14 Roadtest, and the first thing I see is that someone's just done a teardown. Typical...! Nice find though, some serious performance in there!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2012, 10:36:22 am »
My 3352B arrives from the Element14 Roadtest, and the first thing I see is that someone's just done a teardown. Typical...! Nice find though, some serious performance in there!
So you're the one who won!  ;D and at the same time  :( :( :( :(

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2012, 11:25:57 am »
I hate you all.
(Not you T4P)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 11:47:53 am »
I hate you all.
(Not you T4P)
I know i know  ;D

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 05:42:19 pm »
Congratulations, freee-, do you mean binary 8 instead of 4?

0100b = 4d
1000b = 8d

~ $100 vs $1000?  However, if the below is true your hint is more a riddle as the full amount would be

100 0000 0001b

with the MSB ~ 100 = 4d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Agilent-33521A-30MHz-Function-Arbitrary-Waveform-Generator-250MS-HP-Tektronix-/320993724393?item=320993724393&ViewItem=&nma=true&si=bs25lwHZI%2FW8xQkdmkJ3TTzNr%2Fw%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

oh, all right, but i'll camouflage it a bit so it doesn't hit too hard : its a 3 digit positive integer with the leading digit being a 1.... the same number could also mean '4' if the base was binary...

30Mhz, 250Ms/s arb generator. This thing is killer.
But enough sniffin : time to rip it apart
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline billclay

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 06:18:06 pm »
I scored this beauty today... local biochem lab closed.

What does a biochemist do with an AWG?

Offline StubbornGreek

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 06:49:12 pm »
I scored this beauty today... local biochem lab closed.

What does a biochemist do with an AWG?

That's what I was thinking...

free_electron, you practically stole that thing, good find!
"The reward of a thing well done is to have it done"
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2012, 07:21:56 pm »
100$ is what i paid for it...

I dont' know. It was in the pile labeled 'electrophoresis lab'. There was some other stuff in that pile as well. a high voltage amplifier ( 0..300 volt , 0..10mA ) and some other weird things. Glass plates with electrodes glued to them . Didnt want to rummage through it. who knows what chemicals it had been in contact with. i grabbed this thing , paid my 100$ and got the hell out of there.. ( just in case someone would get second thoughts about the price ).
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2012, 07:39:03 pm »
Most excellent!  That amplifier is likely a gel electrophoresis PSU; range 300-3000VDC, I got one off such a sale, $10, its sold new for $5,000, I use it for kV generation.  The glass plates with electrodes on them are the gel plates.  Basically think of clean jello rectangle; like electroplating put one electrode on each end; put 1 drop of test sample on end of the plate, subject it to 300VDC or more, the molecules will migrate to each electrode depending on its size and final charge, small migrating faster than big, so now you've separated a mix of molecules.  The time for the test is arbitrary, you simple want to separate the mixture into its components; higher voltage, faster the migration, but potentially less discrimination between similar size molecules.  To find the molecules, you drop a dye on the jello that changes color if a particularly molecule is there.  To extract it, cut it out of the jello and dissolve it in a solvent.

Now as to the AWG, I'm clueless too.

Bioresearch labs are great for surplus gear.  Once the grant cycle is over, all the equipment is trashed.  When a grant is funded, they request money to buy all new gear, because they have no time to repair gear as time is of the essence, so they buy entirely new labs 90% of the time.  Commercial labs aren't as frivolous.

100$ is what i paid for it...

I dont' know. It was in the pile labeled 'electrophoresis lab'. There was some other stuff in that pile as well. a high voltage amplifier ( 0..300 volt , 0..10mA ) and some other weird things. Glass plates with electrodes glued to them . Didnt want to rummage through it. who knows what chemicals it had been in contact with. i grabbed this thing , paid my 100$ and got the hell out of there.. ( just in case someone would get second thoughts about the price ).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 07:48:49 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2012, 07:49:26 pm »
kinda like those dna -ribbon strips ?

alm

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »
Exactly. Depending on the experimental setup, potentially harmful chemicals may or may not come in contact with the plates. Sometimes fancy signals other than DC are used to generate the electric field. This article (full text behind a paywall) describes a setup that sounds similar to the one you encountered:

Quote from: Li, Chen and Ugaz: Anal. Chem. 2010
A second key modification to the electrophoresis apparatus consisted of replacing the switching power supply used previously with a function generator capable of producing arbitrarily shaped voltage waveforms at frequencies up to 20 MHz (Model 33220A; Agilent Technologies, Inc., Santa Clara, CA). The function generator output served as input to a high voltage amplifier providing a 50x gain (Model 603; Trek, Inc., Medina, NY). The amplifier output was then connected to the electrodes in the electrophoresis device. An oscilloscope was used to monitor a reference signal from the high voltage amplifier that was proportional to the output.
They periodically switch polarity, and since larger molecules takes longer to align to the new electric field, they get separated from the smaller molecules. They use square waves with periods in the Hz range, but maybe fancier signals could be used for other applications.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2012, 11:42:51 pm »
Thanks alm, a variant of field inversion gel electrophoresis, news to me.  The equipment sounds very much like your quote:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21409622

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline prenato

• Regular Contributor
    • paulorenato.com
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2012, 11:53:09 pm »
That's an amazing deal free_electron. I'm wondering how you
find about these closeout sales? I would like to build-out my
Home lab but don't know where to find deals like this...
Paulo
Professional Tinkerer,
www.paulorenato.com

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 04:45:25 pm »
1) live in the bay area or any other 'techno' rich area
2) little birds
3) if you think i'm going to give away my sources ... think again ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf