Author Topic: 500W+ Offline offtheshelf SMPS's witrhout fans (240VAC)  (Read 952 times)

Offline ocsetTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • !
500W+ Offline offtheshelf SMPS's witrhout fans (240VAC)
« on: June 08, 2019, 05:37:51 pm »
Hi
We  would like to see examples of offtheshelf SMPS's of 500W up to 1kW that have no fan cooling, to  look at the sizings.
By "no fan", we mean no fan inbuilt into them, and no fan meant to be mounted  externally of them.
Also they must not be water cooled.

Do you know of any?
We cant find any on the web
« Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 05:39:39 pm by treez »

Online mariush

• Super Contributor
Re: 500W+ Offline offtheshelf SMPS's witrhout fans (240VAC)
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 06:03:22 pm »
Too lazy to search?

1. https://www.digikey.com/short/pm5q4j
2. https://www.digikey.com/short/pm5q4d

3. atx power supplies link

A lot of platinum / titanium atx power supplies rated for 750w or more will generally work passively up to around 4-500 watts.

My gold efficiency Seasonic X-650 (650w) can function passively up to 170w.. nowadays platinum and titanium are way more efficient

The following users thanked this post: ocset

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 07:17:36 pm »
Thanks,
Thanks, i notice digikey doesnt allow you to search for IP66 (and above) rated power supplies of power 500w-1kw.
I wish i could find these.
Any ideas?

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:01:51 am »
No personal experience, but I can Google e.g. "ip66 power supply 500w" and find stuff like this:

https://absopulse.com/ip66-rated-power-solutions/
https://www.meanwell.com/productPdf.aspx?i=473

Do these fit the bill?

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 07:59:46 am »
And yet another seemingly random Power Supply topic from Treez  :palm: No mention of the random 'friend' this time or LED lighting (so far) ::)

Seriously if and or others are looking to setup your own company or have them built to your spec and you are going to USE the members of this forum to do it then don't mind us if we let other know of your recent history of topics.

Seriously if you are a startup then do YOUR OWN RESEARCH or at least have a clue before you go broke before you start!

Five of us electronics engineers here in UK have gotten together and intend to form a company which works with other companies to give them power supply designs.
However, three of our group have  now decided to ditch the idea, saying that they are going to seek work individually in Germany instead , where they believe there is loads of work for this.
I cant believe this, I have heard that Germany already has loads of engineers to take care of its work requirement……and there are no jobs out there in this kind of thing…is this true?

In UK, if  you want a good-value-for-money custom designed, bespoke power supply, and you want it pretty quick, (ie from China) and your sales volumes are predicted as medium to high, you go to Stontronics.
Which is the equivalent company in your country.?
Or, if you dont have one, please state this?

We have designed a fog detector for roadways…it’s a power supply which charges up to 300V, then flashes over a bank of IR LEDs…..this pulse is received by the detector…if it isn’t received, then it means there’s too much fog in the way.
Thing is, there is no offtheshelf power supply that does this charge up to 300V then flash over  (where it discharges down to ~50V every second) , so we need a Chinese designer/manufacturer.
Which “go-between”  company in UK  (or Europe/Aus or USA) can we contact to  get through to a reputable Chinese designer/manufacturer of power supplies?
We all know that with an offline 30-60W, isolated Flyback SMPS project, for the first prototype, the conducted EMC scan often shows a fail at the 28-30MHz point. As we know, this is down to common mode emissions.
(this fail is often there, even with meticulous PCB layout, and correct use of a Y capacitor across the isolation barrier.)

Often we initially try and get away with just one common mode choke, and no shield windings in the transformer. (also, we don’t like to snub our secondary diode too heavily, as this needs bigger snubber resistors. Also, we don’t like to increase the fet gate resistor too much, because although this conveniently reduces drain voltage dv/dt, it also increases switching losses)

So, in many cases, the transformer shield windings, or the second common mode choke with a higher SRF, is needed to clinch the conducted EMC pass and solve the 28-30MHz conducted problem.
You almost always find that people elect to solve it with shield windings in the transformer rather than with a second, smaller common mode choke. ..
Why is this?
..especially since offline flybacks of 30-60w are almost inevitably sandwich wound, so two shield windings are unfortunately needed in order to fully shield the primary from the secondary.

So why do people always elect for shield windings rather than a second common mode choke with a higher SRF?

(After all, shield windings can often mean having to use a bigger, more expensive transformer, in order to fit the shield windings on to the former.)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:01:28 am by beanflying »
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 05:35:46 am »
Thanks...i mst admit i used to want that...but know now that its too expensive to set up.
The underwriting is too costly.

So i am just knowledge hunting.
BTW, my free SMPS course for all is here..
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1cmk81KxXA7-EliHHWr8ZimpEp7HCMIcY

..help yourself
i always try and give back at least one post  for every post that i ask.
ie, answer other peoples querys.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf