Author Topic: Tektronix AM503B error 592 - repairable?  (Read 4964 times)

Offline atsthngTopic starter

• Contributor
Tektronix AM503B error 592 - repairable?
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:03:10 am »
Hi,

Have the option of buying a faulty Tek AM503B. Apart from a NVRAM error on power up, the significant issue with it is a burnt smell and overheating when powered up, and error 592 when the Degauss / Autobalance button is pressed.

Is there a chance this is repairable? There are no service manuals with schematics for the 503B, only for the predecessor 503A. Are the two close enough that I can use the 503A service manual to have a go at repairing the 503B?

Thanks!

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
Tektronix AM503B error 592 - repairable?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 10:22:55 am »
Never buy broke stuff without the service manual.
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

• Contributor
Re: Tektronix AM503B error 592 - repairable?
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 05:32:42 pm »
Went ahead to buy the AM503B. Yes, curiousity and optimism that it would be a simple fix trumped good judgement. Didn't need any schematics after all - sniffed around - unfortunately what burnt looks like a custom asic. Oh well, parts :-)

I haven't seen this kind of IC interconnect before, so I figured I might as well share some pics.

• Contributor
Re: Tektronix AM503B error 592 - repairable?
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 05:46:10 pm »
Thanks, I have the AM503 but it is significantly different from the AM503B which is not working. The fried chip does look like it is part of the output amplification (the output connector is connected to it) but unfortunately the schematics for the B model don't appear to have been released by Tektronix.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf