Author Topic: need help finding MC and MC inline plugs  (Read 738 times)

Offline time27Topic starter

• Contributor
    • LinkedIn
need help finding MC and MC inline plugs
« on: July 17, 2022, 10:24:03 pm »
Ongoing problem with my supplies of CNC and 3DP parts, This is a MC (Metal conduit) splash proof plug containing 7 pins - it was identified by some people as STC-Cannon plug however they are referred to as DIN 7 plugs, I am unable to source those plugs contacting the Chinese manufacturer of the Ditron DRO they were not helpful,  last problem is sourcing the OD 7.5mm MC conduit cable.

If any of my readers can be helpful please drop me a suggestion of what the plug could be, way to cut the MC cable or any other suggestion. Mean while I will give this a rest for few days.

MC= metal conduit

//Nick
Thank you for reading my post...

• Contributor
    • LinkedIn
Re: need help finding MC and MC inline plugs
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 01:48:37 am »
Thank you. I looked at the catalogue - it is close but its not made for a MC (metal conduit) cable.
Unless the item has been modified by adding a conical section with a grub screw.

There are 2 screws -
1.Ph02 Philips screw holding the body of the plug in place
AND
2. one grub screw holding the MC to the conical section stopping it from being pulled out.

Please check out the jpg, it has a locking mechanism for the MC conduit.
This is specifically a MC type plug.
Regards

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 02:28:38 am »
So long as the Armoured outer is gripped by the connector you should be more than ok. Still Amphenol but it includes a couple of different diameter gland style entries to the plug. I have used similar but much larger mains connectors and glands with armored cables into EXE and D enclosures in my former life.

https://docs.rs-online.com/55b3/0900766b81379bf6.pdf

You only need to sell one body part to afford them from RS too https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/din-connectors/8279850 **check what cable diameter this one suits.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2022, 04:09:54 am »
Thank you,
you are right about the body parts needed, however this does not mate with the MC ( metal conduit ).
But it is nice alternative to what I have -  I also purchased GSX12 aviation connector it is also not suitable for the MC cable, but this and your suggestions look like a valid alternatives since I can not get Ditron the supply specs on the connectors.

A shop that supplies Ditron DRO, magnetic sensors; KR800MC and tape at 5u resolution has offered to make a new 3m MC cable with DB9 at DRO and round inline MC female plug. They will also supply a round male DB7 DIT type plug, that I can solder on my shortened mc cable to make full connection. AT PRICE of x2 of the standard KR800MC cable - I think that is getting into borrowing of body parts. Would the life be simpler if they just gave me the plug spec.

I will leave this for a day or two before I start again with a fresh approach - perhaps it will be to standardize on suggest splash proof metal connectors.

If you can think of anything along this line let me know - critical point here is MC ( metal conduit attachment from the plug to the cable )
Regards

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2022, 04:28:51 am »
Is the problem you can't clear the wet area of your Mill be the time you run out of the standard cable or is the Ditron head still getting wet at the rear or is it that you have a damaged existing connector?

I would just be making a MF shielded cable with standard DIN connectors for an extension if it is not in a really wet area and you just need more length. Even run a copper sheath over that cable if you are worried but I doubt you will have a noise issue.

If you want a positive screw type of connection into the Armour then drilling and tapping with a couple of screws (go with M2 due to the thin wall) should be possible for extra electrical connection but on the PDF it does indicate a lower dome shaped washer where the shielding of a more normal cable would be clamped so likely you could slice the Armour lengthwise a few mm feed it past the washer then flare the tabs slightly.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

• Contributor
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2022, 04:53:33 am »
You have very good suggestions which I am rapidly approaching - this is more a problem of consistency in plugs.

- its not a wet area
- the connector is for the "tail stock drill" KR800MC sensor - so I can drill accurate depth holes in the main chuck. 
- plan was to shorten the MC (metal conduit) near the tail stock so I can remove if needed
- yes I can drill and Tap M2 - love to buy what I already have and keep consistence in the shop.

There is no damage it all looks good - attached the jpg
The lathe is mill/lathe combination that I have instrumented with Ditron DRO.
Its not the only DRO set up in my shop - we have other 2 setups ( one on a milling machine )
I have not included our 3DP or our 2 CNC routing tables using the same plugs.

I like your suggestion -the aim is to buy something off the shelf first and keep spares.
I am in large shop but our storage has many boxes of spares - like to keep it to a min and from a know suppliers.
Regards

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf