Author Topic: Nixie Tube Question: B5866 vs B5856.  (Read 201 times)

Offline PaceguyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Nixie Tube Question: B5866 vs B5856.
« on: July 12, 2024, 12:33:00 pm »
A question for those who know their Nixie tubes: Can a B5866 be used to replace a B5856? These are the simple +/- indicators used in Nixie tube voltmeters. From what I could find online, the only difference I can see is one in used for pulsed DC and the other isn't. It looks like the one for pulsed DC can be used to replace the non-pulsed DC, but the DC one cannot be used to replace the one made for a pulsed DC circuit.

Online Roehrenonkel

• Regular Contributor
Re: Nixie Tube Question: B5866 vs B5856.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2024, 01:23:32 pm »
Hi peaceguy,

yeah, i guess you're right.

Best regards

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
Re: Nixie Tube Question: B5866 vs B5856.
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2024, 06:01:43 pm »
The 'Long Life' series of Nixies are the only ones recommended for Mux/pulse duty. I think the long life versions have a bit more mercury content than the regular service versions. Cathode material migration from ion bombardment is the killer. The life of a Nixie is very dependent on average cathode current. You can download the catalogs including data and operating curves and guidelines for both Burroughs and National Nixies. I have observed three distinct Nixie glows, normal neon orange, neon orange with the blue mercury halo (long life) and the strange neon orange leaning a bit toward a pinkish tint. I am not sure what other gas causes the pinkish tint. I remember that some Nixies were doped with a radioactive isotope to insure ionization in pulse duty and dark environments. It is a well known fact that old Nixies and non-doped Nixies will either fail to ionize, or certain cathodes will fail to ionize in dark environments or in pulse duty. I have some 'lazy' Nixies in a rack mount device. When the unit is first energized the Nixies will flicker and carry on for about a minute and then settle down and work correctly. They are in a 1-of-6 multiplex scheme with about 9ma of peak current and 1.5ma of average current which is well within spec for the large long life tubes in the unit.
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf