Author Topic: My Tektronix 310 "Basket Case" Project  (Read 9793 times)

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Re: My Tektronix 310 "Basket Case" Project
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2019, 12:20:36 am »
Looking good. Nice neat work. I am happy to see this scope is in excellent hands  :-+

Offline SmokyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2019, 12:56:26 am »
Thank you BD139!

Here's the Time/Division switch after it was thoroughly cleaned, and btw, how that big .22uf capacitor (C135D) split in service, is beyond me. The casing appears to be rock-hard epoxy.

The small 5% Wima capacitor was what I could find in my stash to replace the smaller 2200pf cap (C135B), none the less, all of the resistors and capacitors for this switch measure less than 1% tolerance. Heck, 99% of all of the parts I put in this scope are less than 1%.

I just checked Digi-Key, and they have a long-lead 2200pf PP cap that I may throw into this week's order.

Anyway, I'm just having fun!

Whoah! scratch that. I was concerned about the short leads on that Wima cap. It pays to take pictures before you disassemble. Here's a shot of the old capacitors in place. Notice how a ground wire was sent down to the first wafer to ground both that small 47pf cap and the large .22uf cap laying flat.

It just so happens that the tab for 2200pf cap is next. The short leads on the Wima cap were more than long enough to stretch to both terminals. The two small capacitors don't touch either!

...and now good as new and ready to go back home :)

Here's a shot of the DC Balance and Low Frequency adjustment area.

With the Preamplifier board bolted back in place, the soldering of the connections begin. Look at this route in and out of the board of these resistors and capacitors! Many pictures and tags get it back together right  :-*

There are only two resistors inside of this oscilloscope that are required to be a matched pair, R320 and R401 (1 MOhm 1% type). The original resistors measured 1.0144 and 1.0015 MOhm. Here are the new Dale .1% resistors installed. They both measure 1.0006 MOhm :)

The wire connections to the preamplifier board are next and the shields follow. Also, I believe the original wire wrapping had shrunk over time. It appears to have been some sort of plastic cord. The wrapping I'm doing isn't choking-tight :)

The shields are back in and so is the calibrator, but get this, C102 is the big capacitor in the middle. The old capacitor was an 8uf axial that was strapped-in and grounded over to one of the pots. I was able to just fold back up one of the ground loops around V102 since the new cap is a radial type. I put a small ball of Butyl under it to keep it lifted. I used a 10uf 450V Nichicon UPW cap because it measured 9uf on the Sencore. Capacitor C102 is listed as a -20%/+50% 8uf 450V in the parts legend. And on a side note, the Deoxit F5 and D5 sprays really worked wonders on all of the switches and the Allen Bradley pots, even the sealed ones. Super-smooth!

All in all, over 240 resistors and capacitors were replaced  8)

The rear portion of the CRT is also complete. I was able to relocate C407 to the upper rear corner and eliminate a wire runner because the new 6.8uf Nichicon UCA cap is a radial.

The Time/Division switch is also back in place. You can also see the two NOS Allen Bradley 2 Watt resistors on the Intensity and Focus pots. They are two of the only three new Allen Bradley/Ohmite resistors in this machine. They are not 1%, they are nearly spot on. I can only say this, having followed every trace on the schematics and every solder joint in this scope, I'm in awe of the incredible people of Tektronix of that era that built this thing. I hope I've installed everything correctly so far :)

Well, she's back in one piece!

I installed the HV board and completed the wiring to the capacitors. I then bundled the remaining wires and closed the case. It will be this afternoon that the tubes will be installed and the oscilloscope powered-up on the Variac  :-+

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 01:48:23 am by Smoky »

The following users thanked this post: SeanB, xrunner, bd139, jemotrain

Offline dave_k

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2019, 01:30:43 am »
Great work Smoky! Nice to see such a neat restoration with nice attention to detail. Can't wait to see the final result.

The following users thanked this post: Smoky

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2019, 10:34:43 am »
The big tube caps are sprague bumble bee capacitors and are somewhat notorious for pulling that sort of thing. They are paper in oil capacitors so I suspect the electrolyte breaks down the epoxy or moisture gets in and then they expand and crack. Also 1950s epoxy wasn’t that good.

If any are still good, sell them on eBay to the guitar lot!  :-DD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2019, 06:05:22 pm »
Whoo-Hoo  :-+

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:17:26 am by Smoky »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, sean0118, bd139

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2019, 06:13:58 pm »
Outstanding!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2019, 06:26:33 pm »
Thank you Xrunner!

...she's just sitting here idling while I'm having lunch :)

I'm sure plenty of tuning is in order,  and she'll get it!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2019, 07:55:31 pm »
Wow, that looks fantastic, practically brand new. Such a cute little Tek scope too.

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2019, 08:30:24 pm »
Great job! Congratulations on your achievement!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2019, 08:39:12 pm »
Many thanks to you all!

I'm measuring voltages right now. The -150 is spot-on, I didn't need to touch the pot.

I adjusted the Calibrator pot down from +101.9VDC to +100 volts at pin 7 of V520 as per the manual.

I then set the Calibrator to 2VPP and the Time/Div switch to .5 volts. I don't plan to mess with things too much :)

I just aligned the CRT to the graticule and I'm in the process of feeding it some waveforms right now!

...and with the "green" shade over the graticule:

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:07:09 am by Smoky »

The following users thanked this post: BradC, bd139

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2019, 11:28:24 pm »
What's next then? Ready to take on a Tek 555 or 556?  >:D

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2019, 11:54:25 pm »
I need to finish a Leader LBO-302 oscilloscope I started last Fall, and then it is on to a Kenwood TK-55 stereo receiver from 1968, followed by a McIntosh 2205 power amp, MR74 tuner, and a C33 preamplifier :)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:23:46 am by Smoky »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2019, 01:53:40 am »
Utterly amazing! Beautiful.

Offline ferdieCX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2019, 02:04:04 am »
Beautiful job, congratulations !  :-+

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2019, 03:10:53 am »
Those traces are so sharp, amazing! Great job.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2019, 10:50:29 am »
*Important*

If you ever decide to rebuild one of these Tektronix 310 or 310A oscilloscopes, you will want to be aware of this.

When I was checking voltages in the scope during the time it was being fed 117VAC on the Variac, the unregulated +450 rail hovered around +446VDC:

But when I checked voltages again while the scope was plugged directly into the outlet in my house (~121VAC), the unregulated +450 rail increased to +474VDC:

Capacitor C660 is a can cap rated at 450VDC in the parts legend:

So if you rebuild one of scopes, you will want to increase the voltage rating of C660 to 500VDC or more.

Anyhoo, the scope is running extremely well, and the next step, is to restore the outer metal case and handle.

Stay tuned :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:31:03 am by Smoky »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, bd139

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2019, 06:13:20 pm »
When I checked voltages again while the scope was plugged directly into the outlet in my house (~221VAC), the unregulated +450 rail increased to +474VDC:

Did you mean 121VAC?

You should post the progress when you start on that vintage audio gear, that looks like some nice stuff. That era was the golden age of HiFi and produced some really nicely made equipment.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2019, 07:41:23 pm »
Thanks for catching that James. I made the edit to my original post to correct that. The voltage at the outlets in my house are ~121VAC.

Ok, I was thinking about how I'm going to deal with capacitor C660 (40uf). It needs to handle at least 500VDC, but to me, that's not enough headroom to my liking. I did some searching on Digi-Key and there aren't many, if any, 40uf caps or pairs of 22uf caps that go much above the 500VDC threshold.

So here's my plan. I dug through my bins again. I found two separate previous orders for Nichicon UCY 47uf 350V capacitors. They're stubby, and I think they'll fit into the cardboard sleeve of the original can.

I intend to put two in series to double the voltage and halve the capacitance, then, solder those to pairs in parallel to double the capacitance and keep the voltage the same, ~700. Does this sound correct?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:33:26 am by Smoky »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2019, 07:45:24 pm »
You have to be careful putting capacitors in series, you can end up with a situation where the voltage is not equally spread between them. You might check Antique Electronic Supply, they sell parts for vacuum tube equipment and may have some higher voltage capacitors. Personally I think 500V is probably adequate though, a little more headroom is nice, but I'd pick a single 500V capacitor over a series pair of 350V capacitors.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2019, 08:45:30 pm »
Thank you James, I will find the appropriate capacitor to fit the old capacitor can and circuit.

And here it is, an Epcos/TDK 47uf 600v part number B43541B8476M000.

And after a minute of being burned-in at 500v, it settled just under 40uf  :-+

The new C660 capacitor is installed and the scope is back up to speed with plenty of voltage headroom to spare :-+

...and while the new capacitor was warming up under Variac power, I checked about and around the scope and noticed that one of the tubes wasn't glowing. V130, a Raytheon 12AT7 in the Sweep Generator circuit. So I pulled it.

Sure enough! I spotted a hair-line crack across pins 1 and 2:

Notice how the getter film was depleted due to the lack of vacuum. A new Tung-Sol tube was put in and I'm back in business :)

« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 02:47:50 am by Smoky »

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2019, 09:33:13 pm »
I was looking at your profile name and thought you had smoke somewhere down the line. But looking at your work, that name does not make justice for you.  May be Rejuvenator is a better fit?  ^-^

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2019, 02:00:14 am »
With the scope running for about an hour now, I have it and the Siglent SDG-1032X ready for testing. The Tektronix Type 310 cathode-ray oscilloscope is spec'd as having a frequency range from DC to 5Mhz. There are no IC's or transistors in this machine.

...let's see what she can really do!

I slowly creeped-up the dial on the waveform generator starting at 1Mhz...

I stopped increasing the frequency once the "trigger" controls on the 310 became too touchy...

13Mhz!!!  :)

...and I forgot to mention, I get a kick out of those built-in waveforms on that Siglent :)

Happy Thanksgiving!
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 03:00:00 am by Smoky »

The following users thanked this post: xrunner

Offline andy3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2019, 02:11:16 am »
Very nice, indeed. Happy thanksgiving!

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2019, 06:24:00 am »
I was looking at your profile name and thought you had smoke somewhere down the line. But looking at your work, that name does not make justice for you.  May be Rejuvenator is a better fit?  ^-^

It always makes me think of the character Smoky in Big Lebowski, no idea if there's any relation.

Regarding the bandwidth, The 5MHz spec is normally the -3dB point, ie the amplitude shown on the scope will be 50% of the true amplitude of the signal. Most scopes will trigger and display waveforms of significantly higher frequency.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 06:26:40 am by james_s »

Offline george.b

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2019, 07:37:14 am »
Regarding the bandwidth, The 5MHz spec is normally the -3dB point, ie the amplitude shown on the scope will be 50% of the true amplitude of the signal. Most scopes will trigger and display waveforms of significantly higher frequency.

50% of the power, yeah? Amplitude divided by √2.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf