Author Topic: Looking for lcd screen for Fluke 187 / 189  (Read 9619 times)

Offline alextTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Looking for lcd screen for Fluke 187 / 189
« on: January 27, 2017, 09:32:34 pm »
Hey ;)
The lcd in my fluke 189 is broken :-BROKE i tried to contact multiple european fluke resellers without luck.can someone help me where to get a spare screen please?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: Looking for lcd screen for Fluke 187 / 189
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 10:24:57 pm »
If you have no luck with Fluke which is rather surprising then have a look around on Ebay, here are a couple of listings below but you will probably need to contact the seller first to check availability and more importantly associated shipping costs, some may not post items to your country so ask about that up front.

Random Ebay Listing #1.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FLUKE-87lV-4-Series-89-4-187-189-MultiMeter-LCD-Glass-Dual-Display-panel-/332071464494#shpCntId

Random Ebay Listing #2.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FLUKE-LCD-89-4-89-IV-187-189-Original-LCD-Display-Meter-Displays-Fluke-LCD-/252201243742

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2017, 10:03:39 am »
hey.thanks for the reply.well,maybe it is surprising in australia but not in middle europe  ;D

the first listing for 15 usd seems good but the seller wont ship overseas

the second one is 40 usd + 22 shipping + becuse it is over 45 usd total,theres an additional 13 usd import charge so, 75 total for a 15 usd screen  |O

any other ideas?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2017, 11:00:41 am »
I have a couple of these meters and I'm pretty sure the replacement LCD displays were worth far more than just $15, not that I've ever had to buy one but I have seen the value of other Fluke LCDs and they can be quite expensive. Anyhow I would send that cheaper seller a message first and see how that works out otherwise keep looking or set up an Ebay alert should one become available locally.

The only other chance you might have is if a member here who happens to be located in the US would be willing to purchase one on your behalf and then forward it on to you, being a new member here though I don't like your chances but you never know, either way I hope it works out as the 180 series are great meters, also perhaps you could give Fluke a phone call directly and ask for assistance or even an indication of the screens replacement value. 

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2017, 11:18:59 am »
well yes i was suspicious about the 15 usd but the seller states it is a genuine product and the seller has 200k + feedback so probably it is.but i cant text them,they use the filter on ebay that wont allow me even to text them outside from the us.
waiting for a set showe up locally here has 0.00000001 % chance so thats not an option
yes an us member is a good idea.if someone in the us willing to buy it for me than send it,would make me very happy :) i can pay with paypal,so no risk there + i have a 3 year old 100% ebay account as a proof too if needed

in the meantime i got an another idea:are there any chance that there is a compatible lcd in some other model?does this screen has a part number or something to check for it?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2017, 11:46:58 am »
It shouldn't be all that difficult to find the specific part number via a Google search otherwise I can have a look through my collection of manuals and other documentation tomorrow to see if I have it, also it is probably best to let this thread stew for a few days as there are many helpful members here that are in a better position to assist than I am, some are also based in your region so will know the best avenue to take.

If all else fails after a week or so then start a thread in the Buy/ Sell/ Wanted section with a polite request for assistance and include a link to this thread and if somebody offers to help don't forget to properly thank them.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2017, 11:49:17 am »
thanks.if you found a service manual or the part number,let me know  ;)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2017, 01:17:41 pm »
The service manual is included below and it appears that the LCD part number is 688181 and you will find it at the end on the last two pages. The image is from one of the Ebay listings so I don't know if that is correct or not.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 02:33:11 pm »
thanks for the manual :) but the image is wrong,this lcd is for the 87-v modell

as i see youre very familiar with that model ^-^  can you tell me what is the difference between the 87-iv 89-iv 187 189 and the tpws?(the model that i have) and how to distinguish them?

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 07:16:18 pm »
The image you posted directly above is from an Ebay listing which was sold back in October 2015 from a UK seller, if this is your meter then it appears to be a 87IV or 187 which from memory are exactly the same thing, the 89IV and 189 incorporate stand alone logging and recall functions and can be identified by having the view memory option on the rotary dial selection, in addition to retain the real time clock they incorporate a super capacitor which is prone to corrosion.

The TWPS or train warning & protection system indicates that this meter has approval to be used on railways and you can find out more by doing a search. The LCD screen should be common and interchangeable amongst all these models but no LCD from any other Fluke series can be used as a substitute to my knowledge, post some pictures of your meter so we can all see the damaged screen with an explanation on how it occurred.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2017, 07:51:36 pm »
thanks,now its clear to me that the tpws is a 187 since it doesnt have the logging dial selection :) yes i just searched a picture on google,since im not at home until monday
at monday / tuesday ill post some pics from it
i searched the part number you provided but i found just 1 company (but at least in the uk ) which sells it but as far as i get they just sells to companies but i texted them,maybe they can provide me a solution

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 09:09:05 pm »
today the local reseller replied ( after 2 weeks :palm: ) and gave me a quote from 60 usd ( includes the lcd 37 usd plus 23 usd for the 690883 -Connector, Elastomeric, LCD to PWB1- ) and they said ill probably need this part too because over time that rubber part becomes hard and starts to act unreliable

what do you think about the price?it seems a bit pricy + do i really need the other part?

thanks

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 10:33:12 pm »
For a Fluke 187/189, I don't think I would just automatically buy a new elastomeric connector (aka "zebra strip") especially if on a budget.  While it is possible that any such connector from any brand or model could develop a problem leading to dim or missing segments on the display, the only ones I'm aware of that had a chronic problem were the early 80-series Flukes.  Even then, a good cleaning usually restores functionality.

As for the price, it's your call.  All I can say is, it is a good multimeter, one of the best Fluke ever made IMHO, so it's very much worth repairing for that price.  Good condition used 189s go for USD200+  on eBay.

• Regular Contributor
asdfg111
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 06:13:55 am »
For a Fluke 187/189, I don't think I would just automatically buy a new elastomeric connector (aka "zebra strip") especially if on a budget.  While it is possible that any such connector from any brand or model could develop a problem leading to dim or missing segments on the display, the only ones I'm aware of that had a chronic problem were the early 80-series Flukes.  Even then, a good cleaning usually restores functionality.

As for the price, it's your call.  All I can say is, it is a good multimeter, one of the best Fluke ever made IMHO, so it's very much worth repairing for that price.  Good condition used 189s go for USD200+  on eBay.

Thanks but the 37 usd locally still seems too much for it compared to the one on us ebay for 15 usd. Can you check the shipping fee for it to hungary?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 04:22:50 pm »
disassembled it today,the zebra strips seems good at least :)

how to get the rubber buttons and the dial out of the case? / what is the recommended solvent to clean the housing?

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2017, 06:11:37 pm »
USPS.com says small package rate to Hungary is $22.25.

A recent thread here may interest you, especially this post about knob removal:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/repairrestoration-of-a-fluke187/msg1024509/#msg1024509

For cleanup, I prefer to start with soap and water and muscle before going on to stronger stuff for problem areas. Stronger stuff might be mechanic's hand cleaner, citrus solvent, and IPA.  Blog post about meter clean-up here:
http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/dirty-multimeter-clean-up/
Be sure to read the comments for more good suggestions.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2017, 06:27:03 pm »
thanks :) any ideas for the micro scratches on the screen? i saw years ago plastic polish pastes on ebay for mobile phones but never tried it.do i need something like this?(some people suggest toothpaste but im a bit skeptical  :D )

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2017, 08:25:22 pm »
I use Novus plastic polish for that sort of thing, it takes a lot of elbow grease but it will do the job. #3 for deeper scratches followed by #2 for light surface scratches.

The following users thanked this post: alext

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2017, 08:33:06 pm »
I use Novus plastic polish for that sort of thing, it takes a lot of elbow grease but it will do the job. #3 for deeper scratches followed by #2 for light surface scratches.

thanks.novus is not avaliable here -same applies to plexus- so last year i ordered 1 can plexus from the us for my windhield on my bike and im satisfied with it but i just use it as a preventive layer after cleaning, not as a polising agent.i think plexus ( and probably novus too) is too thin for that job

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 08:39:33 pm »
I'm sure there must be similar products available virtually everywhere. Novus is a mild abrasive mixed into a cream, as is toothpaste although I think that's an even more mild abrasive. I know from experience that Novus #3 will polish out rather deep scratches but it takes a LOT of work. In some cases it might make sense to wet sand prior to polishing, but only when a scratch is so deep that you can feel it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2017, 08:49:16 pm »
I'm sure there must be similar products available virtually everywhere. Novus is a mild abrasive mixed into a cream, as is toothpaste although I think that's an even more mild abrasive. I know from experience that Novus #3 will polish out rather deep scratches but it takes a LOT of work. In some cases it might make sense to wet sand prior to polishing, but only when a scratch is so deep that you can feel it.

most of the scractes are not that bad,but theres a bigger one.the sand sounds too rough,i dont dare to to try it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2017, 09:11:14 pm »
That looks like quite a deep scratch. When I say sandpaper, I'm referring to something like the 1,000-2,000 grit stuff you use with water, the sort of thing one uses to remove blemishes when painting a car. Very fine stuff.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2017, 09:43:22 pm »
That looks like quite a deep scratch. When I say sandpaper, I'm referring to something like the 1,000-2,000 grit stuff you use with water, the sort of thing one uses to remove blemishes when painting a car. Very fine stuff.

well,worth a try :) thanks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 11:02:24 am »
may i use ptfe ( teflon ) spray to re-lubricate the knob mechanism after cleaning or silicone grease is better?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2017, 01:33:39 pm »
may i use ptfe ( teflon ) spray to re-lubricate the knob mechanism after cleaning or silicone grease is better?

:-//

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf