Author Topic: Fluke 287 negative overload on all ranges  (Read 2150 times)

Offline JackMTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Fluke 287 negative overload on all ranges
« on: March 20, 2019, 12:19:33 am »
My Fluke 287 multimeter is acting strange... 90% of the time when I boot it up it will only display a negative overload. This meter is many years old now, but it shouldn't be acting like this.

The probe inputs can be completely open circuit yet the meter still displays a negative overload measurement on all input selections; same thing if I short the probes together. Rarely when I boot up the meter will it behave normally and give sensible measurements, but most of the time it doesn't and thus it is completely useless. Volt ranges show negative overload when open circuit, current ranges as well, ohm range too. Continuity mode indicates a short circuit all the time (solid tone).

I tried doing a meter reset (clear all user settings sans calibration constants) and replacing the batteries even though they were fine, but still no improvements. I also noticed that both fuses had blown, even the 10A one! It has been used by multiple other people but this is still an impressive feat. Blown fuses shouldn't matter aside from incorrect current measurements and even still it shouldn't be showing negative overload.

Any advice on what I should do? Would Fluke take this meter back and repair it for me? I don't know if this falls under their lifetime limited warranty or not.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: Fluke 287 negative overload on all ranges
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 06:15:05 am »
It has been used by multiple other people but this is still an impressive feat. Blown fuses shouldn't matter aside from incorrect current measurements and even still it shouldn't be showing negative overload.

When used by multiple people, this sort of thing doesn't surprise me.

The Fluke 289 was probably subject to an "oops" moment and no one will ever confess to being the one.

Any advice on what I should do? Would Fluke take this meter back and repair it for me? I don't know if this falls under their lifetime limited warranty or not.

The terms and conditions are right on page 2 of the Fluke 287 manual including Fluke's definition of "lifetime".

If Fluke won't fix it under warranty because of "abuse - also defined in the manual", then you can come back here, open up the meter and we can suggest some troubleshooting steps.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 06:18:51 am »
Rarely when I boot up the meter will it behave normally and give sensible measurements, but most of the time it doesn't and thus it is completely useless.

I forgot to ask, on that rare occasion, does the 287 measure correctly then?  For example, when it boots normally, does it measure a 5VDC reference and show 5V?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2019, 10:47:00 pm »
I guess I should contact Fluke and see what they say and if they'll take it if I send it in.

I forgot to ask, on that rare occasion, does the 287 measure correctly then?  For example, when it boots normally, does it measure a 5VDC reference and show 5V?

From what I recall yes, the meter did measure correctly when it wasn't showing negative overload.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2019, 04:19:47 pm »
I ended up creating an RMA with Fluke and sent the meter in to them. The repair was covered under warranty and was free, but a new calibration was recommended due to the calibration constants being lost which did cost $140.

I got the meter back today and Fluke definitely just straight up replaced the front half of the meter clamshell with a brand new part. I guess something was wrong enough with the firmware and/or main board that it was easier for them to just replace it. Works again, so I'm happy.

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf