Author Topic: Identify Component connected to high voltage power supply  (Read 1160 times)

Offline axawireTopic starter

• Contributor
Identify Component connected to high voltage power supply
« on: January 10, 2021, 01:20:22 am »
Hello

I have a used Matsusada high voltage power supply S3-15P, spec sheet attached. The output lead though is permanently affixed to a some kind of tube. What is this tube (see attached pictures)? I need the 15kV output can I just cut it off or is it a fundamental part in the generation of the 15kV output?

Thanks

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Re: Identify Component connected to high voltage power supply
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 11:17:28 am »
I think it is probably a high voltage current limiting resistor, maybe specific to a safety requirement in the previous application.

The tube has heatshrink on the ends, so you could maybe remove this and see what's inside - though the internal resistor is probably potted, maybe in silicone, so probably not easily removable.

Two thoughts...

1. Are you needing a higher current than it provide with the resistor in place. If not, leave it alone.
2. How will the PSU react to a an accidental short circuit without the resistor?
Best Regards, Chris

Offline JackJones

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 11:57:04 am »
Could be a high voltage fuse. The ones I've seen in microwaves have looked similar.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 12:28:49 pm »
No, high voltage current limiting resistor, there to limit the output current into a short, as likely the driver will blow up if directly shorted, so leaving it in circuit is needed. Will not affect power supply operation, as it is designed to be used with it in place. The manual specifically mentions these modules will blow up if the output is short circuited, so it is needed in the output. Preferably when mounting use some stand offs, that are high voltage rated, to hold the ceramic tube off the substrate, and do not apply any stress to the body of the high voltage resistor that can crack it.

Offline fzabkar

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 08:54:14 pm »
FWIW, I have seen exactly the same thing attached to the EHT output in a Sharp CRT TV. In that case it was a resistor used in a potential divider to sense the EHT voltage. Obviously this is not the current application.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 01:00:58 am by fzabkar »

Offline axawireTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 12:16:48 am »
Thank you everyone for the answers.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf