Author Topic: Desoldering Gun Yihua 948 vs Zhongi ZD-8965  (Read 86 times)

Offline hgryskaTopic starter

Desoldering Gun Yihua 948 vs Zhongi ZD-8965
« on: August 30, 2024, 06:27:58 pm »
I ordered both desoldering stations and could compare:

• Base Station
    • Pro 948: Good build quality with complete metal housing. Transformer for galvanic isolation.
    • Con 948: Large and heavy. Transformer doesn't seem to have enough power and additional switch mode power supply for the pump can improve suction power.
    • Pro 8965: Stylish and small due to switch mode power supply. Pump is decoupled from housing by springs and therefore very quiet. Gauge for suction pressure.

• Desoldering Gun
    • Pro 948: 90W. Much better handling (shorter and thinner). Glas tube easy to remove for cleaning. Heater has more thermal mass. Heater exit pipe has much more thermal mass which minimizes clogging.
    • Con 8965: 80W. Handliing not so good (longer, thicker, sharp edges of handle inlay). Heater exit pipe is longer and has less thermal mass with higher risk of clogging. Glas tube removal is pain in the ass due to long heater exit pipe.

Conclusion: My ideal desoldering station would be a combination of the 948 gun and the 8965 base station. The 8965 desoldering gun sucks and is a show stopper. I decided for the 948 and plan the following mods:
  • Install relay and MeanWell switched mode power supply RS-25 (12V, 2.1A) to drive the pump motor (output voltage set to 13.0V).
  • Decouple pump from housing by 4 springs (5x25 mm, 0.7 mm wire diameter). The springs are connected to 4 studs in a spider configuration around the pump so that there is some clearence between pump and bottom.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf