Author Topic: Apple Cinema HD Display A1098 Power Adapter Repair  (Read 6138 times)

Offline edpalmer42Topic starter

• Super Contributor
Apple Cinema HD Display A1098 Power Adapter Repair
« on: April 19, 2017, 04:44:31 am »
I'm fixing a dead A1098 power brick and have run into an odd problem with some material that may or may not be heatsink compound.  Is anyone familiar with this material?

I've got a dead power adapter that appears to have a trivial fault.  The fuse is blown.  But when I replace the fuse, everything is fine.  Fuses do get tired sometimes.  Now, I'm putting all the heatsinks back together so I can do a full load test.  But there's dark grey silicone to glue things together, and there's some white material that has a consistency half-way between silicone and hardened heat-sink compound.  It's usually used in a 'glue' application, but there are two or three places where it might be acting as heat-sink compound.  The use of two different types has me confused.  Is it just another glue or does it also act as heat-sink compound?

I've attached a picture showing what I'm talking about.  You can clearly see both the white and grey material.  A heatsink mounts over the board and part of the heatsink is glued to the yellow transformer with the white material.  There's also another heatsink that goes over the first one.  The white material was used between them.

Is anyone familiar with this stuff?  Is it just glue or is it also heatsink compound?  :-//

Ed

The following users thanked this post: Mourning Star

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Apple Cinema HD Display A1098 Power Adapter Repair
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 05:27:48 am »
There are a variety of thermal adhesives. Some are two-part epoxy mixes, others are acrylic adhesives. Its not Loctite 384 but likely something similar:

http://na.henkel-adhesives.com/product-search-1554.htm?nodeid=8797930717185
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline johnjohnchu

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 04:44:39 am »
Hi, I am also trying to repair A1098.  Just wondering where the fuse is and what did you use as the adhesive in the end.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 07:10:14 am »
the fuse is the small red circle at the middle left of the picture, just at the end of the board.

my question is : how did you open this device without destroying the case ?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 07:13:49 am by kripton2035 »

Offline johnjohnchu

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 02:53:39 pm »
Hi, I have not tried to open it yet.  Just trying to gather as much info as possible first.  I think there is no good way to open it. Plan to use a Dremel to carefully cut around the seam until it was thin enough to crack apart.

Online kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 03:02:32 pm »
some people replaced the A1098 with a simple power supply 24V 6A - may be it's easier ?
http://computer.dallcrown.com/repair/apple-cinema-display-lcd-monitor-replace-power-adapter/

Offline Mourning Star

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 06:57:11 am »
I know this is an ancient topic, but I have an A1098 that I'm trying to repair, also. But I do not see a fuse... this is in fact  the only visible difference between my power supply and the one in the OP's picture.

I've attached a picture of mine, in case anyone sees this old, dead thread and has some advice.

***Update***
Actually, once I put on my PCB inspection goggles. I located F1

Now to test it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 07:03:12 am by Mourning Star »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 07:02:21 am »
The fuse is the upright component that says T4A 250V next to it.

Offline Mourning Star

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 07:12:05 am »
Yes, I found it. Did a continuity test. It's good.

but it's 3 in the morning and my wife just woke up alone and wants me to come to bed.

Looks like I'll be waiting until morning to probe the rest and see where the problem lies

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf