Author Topic: Electric Car Experiences  (Read 321989 times)

Online NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Electric Car Experiences
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2020, 12:16:43 am »
Long distance trip in a Tesla Model 3:
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: ivi_yak

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2020, 07:46:52 pm »
I am on my second Chevy Volt.  It's the perfect car to transition from ICE to EV.  In the summer I get 75 miles on battery which is more than enough for regular trips.

I have a friend who was looking for an ICE car 6 months ago. No interest in EV.    Told him to look at a Volt and he bought one.

I will NEVER buy an ICE vehicle again.

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2020, 08:09:16 pm »
We continue the conversations here?

To check it out, I bought me an EV, and when the time came to renew the family fleet I bought two brand new turbo diesel SUVs, because deep in my heart I'm a greenie.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 12:38:50 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

The following users thanked this post: Coliban

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2020, 09:11:08 pm »
We continue the conversations here?

To check it out, I bought me an EV, and when the time came to renew the family fleet, I bought two brand new turbo diesel SUVs, because deep in my heart I'm a greenie.

Oh no, now you are in the thread spreading lies?  We can't believe anything you say.  In the other thread all you did was promote you anti-science agenda.  And now you are doing it here as well?

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2020, 09:21:43 pm »
Quote from: treehugger
Oh no, now you are in the thread spreading lies?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/renewable-energy/electric-car-experiences/msg1815995/#msg1815995
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2020, 10:47:25 pm »
Quote from: treehugger
Oh no, now you are in the thread spreading lies?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/renewable-energy/electric-car-experiences/msg1815995/#msg1815995

Yes, look at the link you provided.  It's to a guy that uses 2 fake names who is says that the Earth is flat, 5G is being used to spread covid and the Chinese created corona-19 virus to control the population of the world.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #231 on: August 06, 2020, 12:08:53 am »
Yes, look at the link you provided.  It's to a guy that uses 2 fake names who is says that the Earth is flat, 5G is being used to spread covid and the Chinese created corona-19 virus to control the population of the world.
Get well soon.

Offline richard.cs

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics engineer from Southampton, UK.
    • Random stuff I've built (mostly non-electronic and fairly dated).
« Reply #232 on: August 06, 2020, 11:03:55 am »
Can we keep this thread to the original topic please guys. EV users experiences not wider debates about EVs, global warming, hydrogen fuels, etc. which we've had endlessly on other threads - that's been done to death.
:)

I'm starting this off as a new topic for those interested in discussions around the viability of owning and operating electric vehicles. 

Experiences such as range, charging solutions, real-world economics, idiosyncrasies of your vehcile and more

For myself, I drive a new VW eGolf, and it's been great so far (other than a flat tire). Economy is amazing, about 14kWh/100k out of the battery, call it 16kWh when you consider charging efficiency.

Anyone else want to add their experiences with their electric (or PHEV) ?

The following users thanked this post: stryker, GeorgeOfTheJungle, boffin, DougSpindler

Offline boffinTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #233 on: August 14, 2020, 04:30:49 pm »
This morning's good news is that plugshare is coming out with Android Auto support

However, to update; We just did a longish trip in the EV (700km ea way), and it all went well.  Certainly charging every 200km is a little annoying, but our country/province has good infrastructure, and it's certainly doable.  As the battery heats up, the battery management slows down the charge rate, so that last charge on the way home seemed to take forever.

Was it as fast as doing it in an ICE car?  No
Was it cheaper than doing it in an ICE car? Yes

Given the EV is mostly used for in-city, and short (<200km) trips, it's still a great car for us.

Offline ahbushnell

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #234 on: August 14, 2020, 04:33:34 pm »
How long were your charging stops? 

Did you have to wait for any chargers? 

What kind of car was it?

Thanks

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2020, 09:51:53 pm »
This morning's good news is that plugshare is coming out with Android Auto support

However, to update; We just did a longish trip in the EV (700km ea way), and it all went well.  Certainly charging every 200km is a little annoying, but our country/province has good infrastructure, and it's certainly doable.  As the battery heats up, the battery management slows down the charge rate, so that last charge on the way home seemed to take forever.

Given the EV is mostly used for in-city, and short (<200km) trips, it's still a great car for us.

...and how much fun was it?  You could see doing the trip in a supercharged musclecar at 20 miles per gallon, and still feeling it was worth it!

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2020, 11:35:47 pm »

...and how much fun was it?  You could see doing the trip in a supercharged musclecar at 20 miles per gallon, and still feeling it was worth it!

I don't think so.  EVs are so much more fun to drive then musclecars.  (And I've owned a musclecars.)  It's a lot of fun to take on a musclecar.  EVs make very little noise.  And when the light turns green, you can beat a muscle car every time.  I always laugh at musclecar owners.  Depending on the engine a stock musclecar can burn through a gallon of gas in 45 seconds.  That's almost $4.50 in California.  It's costs me about $0.50, and I typically win.

Offline boffinTopic starter

• Supporter
« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2020, 03:58:57 am »

As Doug pointed out, even a low powered EV like mine (100kW / 136hp) is pretty damn nippy off the line, and can gobble up unsuspecting ICE cars. 

However, the comfort of it makes it all worth while.  The last muscle car I drove (VW eGolf was getting a ding taken out of the hood from a falling branch) was a rental, a 2019 Dodge Charger turbo V6, it got 14l/100km on my highway commute, and was HORRIBLY loud, rumbly and rough.  How people drive them day in and day out is beyond me.

1400km @ 14l / 100km =  196 litres @ C$1.25/litre

No thanks, I'm good with the EV thank you.

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2020, 07:18:35 am »

IOW a pain in the ass :-)
How many km and kWh in total ?
And how many hours total wasted watching it recharge?

a 2019 Dodge Charger turbo V6, it got 14l/100km

In that sense american cars have always been a joke. Any turbo diesel would have done it with 5.x l/100km, and the A/C in MAX.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 10:34:11 am by GeorgeOfTheJungle »

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2020, 07:59:06 am »

IOW a pain in the ass :-)
How many km and kWh in total ?
And how many hours total wasted watching it recharge?

a 2019 Dodge Charger turbo V6, it got 14l/100km

In that sense american cars have always been a joke. Any turbo diesel would have done it with 5.x l/100km, and the A/C in MAX.

Dude you are trolling without understanding what’s already been stated.  There’s a reason they don’t use diesel in muscle cares.  It was already stated charging was a minor inconvience.

So why are you trolling and making shit up again?

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #240 on: August 15, 2020, 10:33:23 am »
Dude you are trolling without understanding what’s already been stated.  There’s a reason they don’t use diesel in muscle cares.  It was already stated charging was a minor inconvience.

So why are you trolling and making shit up again?

Mussel cares are a joke. A diesel does almost 200 km on reserve :-)

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #241 on: August 15, 2020, 11:16:28 am »

Cars have different purposes and special skills.

E.g. one could own a muscle car (maybe an older one, saved from the bone yard so you are being green) as well as a modern EV.   Or a motorcycle and an EV.   etc

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #242 on: August 15, 2020, 11:22:08 am »
I guess mussel cars are just made for shellfish people who don't care about the environment.

The following users thanked this post: tom66, GeorgeOfTheJungle, SilverSolder

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #243 on: August 15, 2020, 11:52:35 am »
I guess mussel cars are just made for shellfish people who don't care about the environment.
And I think a nice round of fish slapping would be in order for them... :-DD

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #244 on: August 15, 2020, 01:24:49 pm »
E.g. one could own a muscle car (maybe an older one, saved from the bone yard so you are being green)

I'm sure no Musk-eteer would agree. Deep in my heart I'm a greenie ( hence the V8 in my garage ).

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #245 on: August 15, 2020, 01:47:15 pm »

Mussel cares are for shellfish people.

Now I know you are a troll. 

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #246 on: August 15, 2020, 02:27:54 pm »
This is an EV I like. With swappable batteries!!

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #247 on: August 15, 2020, 03:44:12 pm »
This is an EV I like. With swappable batteries!!

I thought you like mussel diesel cars.

Online tom66

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics Hobbyist & FPGA/Embedded Systems EE
« Reply #248 on: August 15, 2020, 03:53:43 pm »
Even my 100 hp Golf GTE in pure electric mode, destroys most ICE cars off the line.  It is so much fun to drive around just on electric.  Sadly the reliability of the GTE has been less than stellar.

Seriously considering the quirky Kia Soul EV as my next car, but not so cool is that it is a CUV/SUV.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #249 on: August 15, 2020, 04:43:47 pm »
Even my 100 hp Golf GTE in pure electric mode, destroys most ICE cars off the line.  It is so much fun to drive around just on electric.  Sadly the reliability of the GTE has been less than stellar.

Seriously considering the quirky Kia Soul EV as my next car, but not so cool is that it is a CUV/SUV.

In the US VWs was on of the most popular brands of cars.  I a VW loyalist.  But then the quality of VW really started to decline.  Had two duds. They Dieselgate hit, don't think I would ever buy a VW ever again.  I just don't trust them.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf