Author Topic: What kind of paint is used in copper bus bars  (Read 25727 times)

Offline drakejestTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
What kind of paint is used in copper bus bars
« on: October 03, 2021, 02:25:54 pm »
I have some bare copper bus bar that i would like replace because i have grown concerned on how corroded they become because of humidity and salt (yes even inside boxes, ill be replacing the box too so that humidity wont get in easily) . I do not want to tin the entire bus bar but instead paint the majority of it and only tin the one near the contacts.

So may i know what kind of paint,primer, or coating is used, always see these like in the image

Offline Bud

• Super Contributor
Re: What kind of paint is used in copper bus bars
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2021, 03:04:44 pm »
You can try Plasti Dip for soft rubberized coating.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

The following users thanked this post: drakejest

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2021, 03:32:06 pm »
You could use enamel paint such as Rustoleum. I would also suggest using dielectric grease instead of tinning since the solder layer would have to be really thin to not interfere with the clamped connection.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

The following users thanked this post: drakejest

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2021, 04:46:12 pm »
Thats great there seems to be may ways to do it ! :)

Im curious how are they done in industrial setting? im sure this is very common in that area

I would also suggest using dielectric grease instead of tinning since the solder layer would have to be really thin to not interfere with the clamped connection.

That is indeed true it will be hard for me to do a uniform layer of TIN.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2021, 05:03:59 pm »
If you get it done professionally isn't it cheaper to just tin/silver plate the entire bus bar?

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2021, 05:53:45 pm »
Have seen copper grease (anti-seize) used for that purpose, not sure how well the particles actually smoosh down and make contact, though. Grease is a good idea for thermal contact.  Not sure offhand if dry, clean contacts are better (for which tin plating is perfectly fine, again, as long as it stays clean!).

NEC should say something about it, no?

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2021, 07:14:31 pm »
If you get it done professionally isn't it cheaper to just tin/silver plate the entire bus bar?

I will not get it done professionally as there is no one that can do that withing few hundred KMs. I just want to know how its done professionally to set a baseline on how its done. the closest i can do to professionally done is powder coating, as there is someone that can do that that is close.

NEC should say something about it, no?

Im not an NEC expert , the NEC doesnt even apply to us as we have our own electric code. But most likely how its done by the NEC is pretty much close to ours.

To the NEC experts out there the floor is yours  ;D

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2021, 07:49:22 pm »
And what is the problem with glued heat shrink tubing?  Cheap as ..

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2021, 08:02:54 pm »
I am undecided regarding the tin coating. But any synthetic or linseed-oid based varnish would work too for painting the busbars.
While it is a good idea to have an enclosure that keeps moisture and especially salt out, it is of utmost importance to allow any moisture that WILL get in to leave. Depending on your environment, that can mean a breather valve or a trap at the lowest point!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 08:47:41 pm »

I cant get them in colors except black :( . If i can paint it in colors i would prefer that, but yes shrink tubing is my last resort option

I am undecided regarding the tin coating. But any synthetic or linseed-oid based varnish would work too for painting the busbars.
While it is a good idea to have an enclosure that keeps moisture and especially salt out, it is of utmost importance to allow any moisture that WILL get in to leave. Depending on your environment, that can mean a breather valve or a trap at the lowest point!

Yes i agree thats why the bus bars still need protection because if i make it airtight, the inside of the box will "sweat" and we dont want that

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2021, 09:07:28 pm »
Is there anyone nearby that can do nickel plating?  A nice, thick coat of nickel, then powder coat the non-terminal areas and finally use silicone grease on all the nickel-plated parts that are still exposed.  I assume you are near the sea?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline mansaxel

• Super Contributor
  • SA0XLR
    • My very static home page
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2021, 09:32:16 pm »
I'd be very concerned about the longevity of tinned bus bar connections. Tin cold-forms and "floats" under pressure, and this is why it these days is prohibited to tin stranded cable and then terminate it in a screw terminal.

I'd go for some suitable grease to proof the naked bar where it meets lugs or similar, and then where you want colour paint the bar with Rust-O-Leum, Hammerite or one nice paint I've used for external metal, "Brantho-Korrux" from Germany.

If you have serious condensation problems, bitumen-based corrosion-prevention paints are available. You probably need to reevaluate things like creepage distance et c. -- mostly depending on voltages present and so on.

Offline trobbins

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2021, 10:19:44 pm »
Professionally bright tinned copper busbar is a long term industry standard for harsh environments.

Adhesive heatshrink in black can be overlaid in relevant colours at the termination ends - same as for black insulated cable with coloured sleeves at lugged ends (or even at set distances).

Offline Neomys Sapiens

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2021, 10:19:58 pm »
Is there anyone nearby that can do nickel plating?  A nice, thick coat of nickel, then powder coat the non-terminal areas and finally use silicone grease on all the nickel-plated parts that are still exposed.  I assume you are near the sea?
I thought about that too but I was not sure if it can be applied to copper directly.
Very important consideration: is it possible that a DC component appears on those connections?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2021, 03:30:15 am »

No, I originally was planning to tin them myself, but i dont think ill be doing that now since for sure it will be uneven. Yes the sea is less than 100 meters.

Very important consideration: is it possible that a DC component appears on those connections?

There is but it should be no concern, for remote monitorig , runs on 5v DC and its tapped after the breakers.

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2021, 03:54:06 am »
thats almost certainly going to be powder coated I think. I have seen them in heat shrink too.. thats a very professional solution so long you get heat shrink that is good from a good manufacturer.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2021, 05:55:18 am »
I'd be very concerned about the longevity of tinned bus bar connections. Tin cold-forms and "floats" under pressure, and this is why it these days is prohibited to tin stranded cable and then terminate it in a screw terminal.

This is true of soldered connections, especially leaded solder; we're talking about platings, which are too thin to cold-flow.  Tin plated wire, and connector mating surfaces, are quite common.  The only counterindication, really, is to not mix tin and gold platings, in connectors.  (I don't know for sure offhand but I doubt tin and nickel have the same problem.)

Which, nickel plating has one edge-case, poor high frequency performance -- it is magnetic.  I would recommend against using it in a switching converter, say (10s of kHz up).  For anything near mains frequency, this is basically irrelevant. :-+

Im not an NEC expert , the NEC doesnt even apply to us as we have our own electric code. But most likely how its done by the NEC is pretty much close to ours.

To the NEC experts out there the floor is yours  ;D

Ah, well your location isn't set so I'd just as well assume the most likely, USA.  Still, it's at least a starting point; and definitely, look at whatever your local equivalent is. :)

Tim

Online coppercone2

• Super Contributor
  • $
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2021, 06:18:28 am »
I found this on youtube from a real busbar manufacturer, I think they have some very specific opinions on how to insulate busbars. Yes, its a real companies youtube channel.

The following users thanked this post: sandalcandal, Just_another_Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2021, 09:01:25 am »
I found this on youtube from a real busbar manufacturer, I think they have some very specific opinions on how to insulate busbars. Yes, its a real companies youtube channel.

What am i watching hahaha  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2021, 03:21:10 pm »

I'd go for some suitable grease to proof the naked bar where it meets lugs or similar, and then where you want colour paint the bar with Rust-O-Leum, Hammerite or one nice paint I've used for external metal, "Brantho-Korrux" from Germany.

If you have serious condensation problems, bitumen-based corrosion-prevention paints are available. You probably need to reevaluate things like creepage distance et c. -- mostly depending on voltages present and so on.
I've seen busbars that were tin coated. They had screw connection on one end, soldered into PCB the other few ends. I never seen any which would be tarnished, or problematic like that. Screws didn't get loose even without shakeproof washer. Probably thousands of them was installed with 24/7 (or close to it) high current DC operation, forced air cooling pushing fresh air on it, not a sealed enclosure. So it is fine, if done properly.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2021, 03:38:54 pm »
I've seen busbars that were tin coated. They had screw connection on one end, soldered into PCB the other few ends. I never seen any which would be tarnished, or problematic like that. Screws didn't get loose even without shakeproof washer. Probably thousands of them was installed with 24/7 (or close to it) high current DC operation, forced air cooling pushing fresh air on it, not a sealed enclosure. So it is fine, if done properly.

Tinned copper busbars are a standard item in commercial and heavy-duty service panels here, with aluminum used in household-grade panels.  There are essentially no issues with them as far as I know.  Of course they aren't 'tinned' by some guy with a roll of 60/40 and a torch.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2021, 03:59:53 pm »
Which, nickel plating has one edge-case, poor high frequency performance -- it is magnetic.  I would recommend against using it in a switching converter, say (10s of kHz up).  For anything near mains frequency, this is basically irrelevant. :-+

Tens of kHz?  I thought this was an RF--and I mean GHz--issue?  I hadn't contemplated it being a problem at that level.  How do ENIG PCBs not have problems?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2021, 07:24:00 pm »
Can be bought from Ebay for little money indeed. But the problem I see is that moisture can get in and you can't visually inspect the busbars underneath the heatshrink. I would not recommend going this route.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline PartialDischarge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2021, 08:30:21 pm »
Can be bought from Ebay for little money indeed. But the problem I see is that moisture can get in and you can't visually inspect the busbars underneath the heatshrink. I would not recommend going this route.

Not with glued heat shrink. My car for example uses it in the crimped ground terminals that go to the chassis to avoid humidity inside the crimp area and the copper cables. It is mostly available in black color, but then a normal colored one can be put over it
« Last Edit: October 04, 2021, 08:32:55 pm by MasterTech »

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2021, 08:36:10 pm »

Tens of kHz?  I thought this was an RF--and I mean GHz--issue?  I hadn't contemplated it being a problem at that level.  How do ENIG PCBs not have problems?

It's most sensitive at RF, yes.  Like a waveguide plated with nickel, and not enough silver over top of it, will absolutely kill the Q.  All of the current flow is in the plating.

Down in the MHz, the effect on Q will be minor, because the element's impedance is small compared to circuit impedances.  But the skin depth will still be significant: at 1MHz, the skin depth in copper is already small at ~70um, but it's over 10 times smaller in nickel -- and a typical plating thickness is around 12um, so that ain't too great!

Down at 50kHz, it'll easily penetrate the plating, but heating may still be unusually (even objectionably?) high.

A reminder that we mainly use bus bars, in high power converters, because of heat dissipation -- electrical conduction is almost entirely a surface phenomenon, we just use bulk metal parts because they are strong, and effectively carry heat away from that surface.

Heh, wouldn't be surprised if the effect is also lessened somewhat, at high currents, due to sheer saturation.  The effect of saturation is to locally increase skin depth.

As for PCBs, ENIG is only over the pads -- SMOBC means traces are bare copper covered by dielectric, no problem there.  The pads are slathered in solder, and current flows up the side, much of the nickel area is shielded by the solder blob on top, or the component lead thereupon.

Or in thru holes, the inside is shielded and current flows on the outer surface (the FR-4 side), same idea.  So it works out alright for PCBs. :)

Tim

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf