Author Topic: What automotive electrical connectors are these?  (Read 374 times)

Offline lilJohnTopic starter

• Contributor
What automotive electrical connectors are these?
« on: September 13, 2024, 02:56:46 am »
I am making custom light accessories for my car because some of the incandescent bulbs are going dim and I can't find the LED versions in warm white to look like the old incandescent bulbs.
I plan to use these components I found on AliExpress (see list) as donor housings for my custom PCBs and I couldn't manage to find what connector types / dimensions the circled ones are. This is so that I can know ahead of time if it is possible to get away doing a plain wire out, for both the PCB and possible alternative housing, to crimp on a possible male connector because I don't want to snip the car's wiring harness.

Alternatively, I could probably just replace the natural white LEDs with warm white LEDs of the same footprint and similar voltage drop but I really want an excuse to work with Al PCBs for once. :P

Also I know that I can replace the bulbs with T5s and CxW-y mm bulbs but I have a strong history of applying too much force pushing in and breaking the-manufacturer-didn't-put-enough-plasticizer-to-make-it-soft polycarbonate snap-in clips.

Attached Image Description

Here is an image that is a better representation of Image 2 I found on eBay: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/C~sAAOSwWp1lTaTQ/s-l1600.webp

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: What automotive electrical connectors are these?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2024, 06:57:04 am »
Edit: Sorry. It seems to be Tyco MQS.

By the way BMW like to use connectors that are produced only for them and are hard to officially buy without their approval.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2024, 07:33:54 am by DavidKo »

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2024, 07:35:22 am »
They look to me like they take MQS connectors from TE / AMP Germany, perhaps even one of the attached. For those, each color has a different key – which you can usually snip off if you have the wrong color for the device.
-John

The following users thanked this post: lilJohn

Offline DavidKo

• Frequent Contributor

Offline jfiresto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2024, 07:40:00 am »
Check Farnell. Would that be Newark in the U.S.?
-John

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2024, 11:14:08 am »
Yes. But I think all the major distributors have them.

Just remember that some list them by the abbreviation MQS, others by the full name, Micro Quadlok. (MQS = Micro Quadlok System)

Offline lilJohnTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Today at 01:13:34 am »
Hey,

By the way BMW like to use connectors that are produced only for them and are hard to officially buy without their approval.

Thank you all for responding!

It really helped with my search; and right now I am designing the PCB and housings to have 2-pairs of wire out with waterproof gaskets. The plan is to crimp the male connector on the two wire output. I also managed to figure out that 2a, thanks to the image @jfiresto provided:
They look to me like they take MQS connectors from TE / AMP Germany, perhaps even one of the attached. For those, each color has a different key – which you can usually snip off if you have the wrong color for the device.
I also bought a few connector pairs to test out the housing parts to double check if they fit.

So in summary,
1.a) unknown
1.b) as @jfiresto says, I will try snipping one side of 2.a off
2.a) 1-1718333-1
3.a) likely 9-968554-1 (possibly jfiresto compatible with 968699?), e.g. https://www.amazon.com/2-Pin-Connector-compatible-9-968554-1/dp/B0D6QTB83P

Yes. But I think all the major distributors have them.

Just remember that some list them by the abbreviation MQS, others by the full name, Micro Quadlok. (MQS = Micro Quadlok System)
Lol, I think I also found the air sensor / turn light side indicator / general waterproof connectors with the search term you provided: https://www.corsa-technic.com/item.php?item_id=1693&category_id=357

I'll post an update as soon as I get the connectors and am able to test the fit.

I also have an additional question that I created on another thread. It is about putting a power resistor in parallel to avoid CAN bus errors. The gist of the question is because I am switching from incandescent (stock) bulbs to LEDs, whether or not a vehicle's CAN bus system will throw or generate errors if the current draw for a system is too low. So the solution would be to put a power resistor in parallel to increase the current draw. Link (edit): https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/(automotive-electronics)-can-bus-error-if-current-draw-for-lighting-too-low/
« Last Edit: Today at 02:33:32 am by lilJohn »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf