Author Topic: USB To Serial Converter Cable Question  (Read 14197 times)

Offline LanceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
USB To Serial Converter Cable Question
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:01:02 am »
I have a USB to serial converter cable by some random company called Nosna. Has anyone ever used stuff by this company before? I'm extremely skeptical of this company, I can find very few references to them, and I've heard plenty of stories of nasty malware being packaged with the drivers from random chinese companies.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:09:40 am by Lance »
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Offline McMonster

• Frequent Contributor
    • McMonster's blog
Re: USB To Serial Converter Cable Question
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:16:05 am »
The question is what's the chip inside this converter? If it's a popular one, like FT232, then there shouldn't be problems.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:38:28 am »
I can't tell, it's a sealed cable. Not sure how to get it open.
#include "main.h"

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 12:47:14 am »
Here's a link to the product, although it was purchased at a physical store:

http://www.globalcoast.ca/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=301
#include "main.h"

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:54:22 am »
Don't open it. Connect it and see what driver is loaded for it, or whats its USB descriptor contains (Windows: usbview; Linux: lsusb).
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 10:20:47 am »
My USB to Serial Converter based off FT232RL and when loaded just says USB <-> Serial

alm

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 10:29:38 am »
That's what the driver reports, not the vendor/product id as would be reported by usbview or lsusb. In usbview, search for idVendor and idProduct. Looking at the name of the driver in device manager might also give something like 'ftdibus.sys', which would suggest an FTDI part.

Offline metalphreak

• Frequent Contributor
  • http://d.av.id.au
    • D.av.id.AU
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 11:02:16 am »
There's quite a few no-brand ones that use the "HL-341" drivers.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 02:46:16 pm »
I connected it, and Windows enumerated it as a USB-Serial Controller. I'm not sure how to find the USB descriptor. Windows couldn't find any drivers for it.
#include "main.h"

Offline AlphZeta

• Regular Contributor
    • Kerry D. Wong
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 08:16:21 pm »
Not sure about Windows, but if you have a Linux machine, you can plug in the device and type lsusb in the console to get the ID information.

Offline sacherjj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 08:29:25 pm »
Not sure about Windows, but if you have a Linux machine, you can plug in the device and type lsusb in the console to get the ID information.

This can be the easiest way, even if you need to boot a machine into a LiveCD instance of Linux.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 08:34:42 pm »

That was already suggested, even with the Windows equivalent. The original poster did give a fucking fart about that suggestion.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2012, 03:56:50 pm »

Sorry it took so long to get back, I've been busy.

lsusb had the following item of interest in it:

Bus 005 Device 003: ID 067b:2303 Prolific Technology, Inc. PL2303 Serial Port

#include "main.h"

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2012, 05:28:09 pm »
ahh. the prolific crap... that chip has 'issues' ...
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline G7PSK

• Super Contributor
  • It is hot until proved not.
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2012, 05:56:07 pm »
Most of the ones I have seen use the Prolific PL3303 usb-serial drivers that also seem to be a common driver for video usb converters used for transcribing vhs onto computers as well.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2012, 06:52:17 pm »
The chip works quite fine and the Linux drivers for Prolific usually work. On Windows 50% of the time the drivers are crap and the newer the drivers are the more fucked-up they typically are.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2012, 06:59:25 pm »
Most of the common dirt-cheap USB to serial adapters are based off the prolific chips (FTDI being more common when you need multiple ports, extra GPIO, or alternate serial protocols like SPI/JTAG).  They work just fine.  What is often total crap are the driver CDs that no-name manufacturers ship with them.  They work perfectly in Linux (good drivers included in the kernel) and well enough in windows if you download the reference driver from prolific.  The PL2303 doesn't have unique device IDs like the FTDI chips, so they can't support persistent device names (i.e., always enumerate as COM6).

Many people will warn you that some of these devices have TTL logic levels instead of the standard +/- ~9V RS232 levels.  They do this to save the cost of the charge pump to generate the negative voltage from the +5V USB.  This is horrible and wrong.  I have personally never seen such a device except for something like a dedicated PDA adapter where presumably the manufacturer knows it works with the device in question.  Still, it pays to watch out for it if you can't figure out why something doesn't work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2012, 10:07:12 pm »
Windows hasn't been able to find the driver for it. I'm going to get the one from the prolific website. It looks pretty tacky...

http://www.prolific.com.tw/eng/downloads.asp?ID=31

I was able to get at it with Putty in Linux without issues, so if all else fails I can use it there.
#include "main.h"

Offline sonicj

• Frequent Contributor
  • updata successed!
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2012, 02:37:41 am »
Windows hasn't been able to find the driver for it. I'm going to get the one from the prolific website. It looks pretty tacky...

I was able to get at it with Putty in Linux without issues, so if all else fails I can use it there.
Their site does kinda have that early 2000s homebrew look to it....  Regardless of appearance, I have yet to have any trouble with the drivers provided by Prolific. 
-sj

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2012, 02:42:09 am »

Their site does kinda have that early 2000s homebrew look to it....  Regardless of appearance, I have yet to have any trouble with the drivers provided by Prolific. 
-sj

I'll give it a try sometime soon then.
#include "main.h"

Offline westfw

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2012, 06:10:45 am »
>> the prolific crap... that chip has 'issues' ...
I've heard that the prolific chips are fine, but that their chip is frequently cloned/pirated/gray-marketed.  So your "prolific USB/Serial adapter" may or may not have a real prolific chip that may or may not work with the real Prolific drivers.

Prolific is sort-of the generic "consumer" USB/Serial adapter chip, a lot of "brand name" adapters use it (cellphones, GPSs, and etc as well as general purpose adapters.)

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2012, 08:37:03 am »
Fake PL2303s discussed here before: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/product-reviews-photos-and-discussion/note-how-to-not-get-scammed-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/

One of the main ways of verifying that it's fake (or factory reject dies) is if it's a COB and not SOP/QFN, because they don't sell bare die PL2303.

Offline Kilroy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2012, 01:34:42 pm »
Based on my experience, if you want anything approaching reliable comms using a USB to serial interface, you should just pick up a Tripp Lite Keyspan USA-19HS and get on with your life.

Really though, if you are going to be doing lots of serial comms stuff, I would stay old school and not bother with interface conversions. It's frustrating when a conversion interface cocks up your work flow when everything else is going great.
The fool generalizes the particular; the nerd particularizes the general; some do both; and the wise does neither.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 01:57:48 pm »
Really though, if you are going to be doing lots of serial comms stuff, I would stay old school and not bother with interface conversions. It's frustrating when a conversion interface cocks up your work flow when everything else is going great.

Once you exhaust the lone COM port you are lucky to have on a computer sold within the last 5 years, you have no choice.  Even a PCI card operating as an ISA compatible interface is not quite the same, and in any case is limited to 4 possible ports.  If you want more than that, you need some sort of media converter.  USB to serial is not ideal, but it is closer to to transparent than any of the alternatives.  Honestly, a working PL2303 or an FTDI chip using the VCP drivers gives you essentially perfect emulation from the standpoint of a user-mode windows application.  The latency is considerably higher, but windows doesn't give you guaranteed latency even with a hardware port.  This isn't a problem if you are doing normal serial communication, but will totally hose you if you want to bit-bang a different protocol on the control lines.  The solution is to not do that.  Use a microcontroller to implement the interface and use the serial port to send commands to the micro.

alm

« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 02:06:27 pm »
What controller does the Tripp Lite use?

In my experience PL2303-based USB to serial tend to work just fine for many applications. I even got them to work with Fluke RS-232-IR adapters that draw power from the handshaking lines. Don't expect them to work with bit-banging or applications requiring more than the bare basics of the RS-232 spec. The random COM port assignment in Windows can be a problem, and I've also had issues with occasional hangs in Windows (unplugging and replugging would fix it).

I like the PCI/PC-Card RS-232 interfaces much better for critical work. I've had good luck with Quatech PC-Card RS-232 interfaces, although they were expensive ($100+). Be careful with ExpressCard, this bus also contains a USB interface, so ExpressCards may also be USB-serial adapters in disguise.

I still use USB to RS-232 interfaces for hobby use, however. They are much more convenient and much cheaper.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf