Author Topic: Software & tips for Rigol DS2072 ( DS2000 / DS4000 / DS6000 UltraVision DSOs )  (Read 382797 times)

Offline EV

• Frequent Contributor
  • Aficionado
Hello,

Has anyone purchased the decoder option?If so how does it look like? Is it a USB stick you plug into your scope?

I don't know about DS4000 but in DS2000 it is a code not a dongle.

Offline totofly

Hello,

My ID DS4024: DS4-00.03.00.05
I get the following message when I try to connect my dso to ultravision utility. Anyone know how to get it update the software of the ds4024?

thank you
Thomas.

Offline marmadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Uploaded v.2.02 - Two bug fixes, two new features.
Change log:
1) Fixed the bug that caused reversed plotting when using Increasing and Frame #.
2) Fixed the gradient routine when plotting when different colors have been selected.
3) In the Frame Array window, you can now choose both the color for drawing waveforms (and the first color in gradients), denoted by the color box with the 'ChanX' text in it - and/or the second color in two-color gradients, which is the smaller colored box after the 'Chan' one.
4) Rigol UltraVision model number now visible in title bar when connected.
5) Added compatibility for DS4000 scopes. RUU is still only two channels - but if I get reports back that it works well with DS4000 scopes, I'll add the extra two channels in a later version.

Offline DrBob

• Contributor
I have read, I believe on this Forum, that you will lose the free trial options if you do a calibration. Surely that does not mean activating the scope's self calibration routine, does it?

If you lose the free trial options before they expire, how do you get them back?

I am talking specifically about the DS2202 I hope to get soon.

Cheers...

DrBob
DS2202

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
Hi all here is sweep of 90% sawtooth signal with;
4 ways of 3-D viewing frames.

The DSO captured 8192 frames
with the Wavefinder( big Knob) in pause mode I was able to determine the cycle of frames I wanted
then
With RUU , I saved the Frames to a .frm file but from 801 to 2790 of the 8192 frames
once saved to a PC file I could plot in different ways

The plotting renumbers the Frames from 1 to 1990

@Mark,   it would be nice to reverse the CLUTable colour order red bottom and violet top for y-axis
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:43:45 am by Teneyes »
IiIiIiIiIi  --  curiosity killed the cat but, satisfaction brought it back

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
and 1 more pics not allowed in last post

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Hi Mark,

just giving V2.02 a whirl with my DS4054 and have 3 comments so far:

1. FSD on  the DS4000 series is +/-4divs, so your display needs to be rescaled, and 'full ADC' should be enabled and greyed out

2. When I save a waveform to .csv from channel 1, it seems to have scaled it using the Volts/div setting of channel 2

3. It said the unit was not responding, so I closed and restarted the program and tried to connect again and got the attached exception (I'm connected via USB atm)

Looks promising though,

Cheers

Alex

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hi Alex - thanks for your bug report. A couple of questions and comments:

1. FSD on  the DS4000 series is +/-4divs, so your display needs to be rescaled, and 'full ADC' should be enabled and greyed out

FSD on the DS2000 series is +/-4divs also - but only 200 bits of the ADC are mapped to the 400 screen pixels (8 divs x 50 pixels) - with 56 bits of headroom. But the entire range of the ADC is available in the display data - so clicking 'Full ADC' gives you 2 extra divisions and 50 extra bits of ADC resolution (and 6 bits of headroom). Is the waveform data not mapping correctly to RUU's display?

2. When I save a waveform to .csv from channel 1, it seems to have scaled it using the Volts/div setting of channel 2

Hmm.. I'll look into this - but the CSV data comes directly from the DSO in ASCII (I don't create it in RUU) - so unless I got the channels swapped around that I ask for, the error is coming from the DSO.

3. It said the unit was not responding, so I closed and restarted the program and tried to connect again and got the attached exception (I'm connected via USB atm)

When did RUU report the DSO was not responding? During an explicit command - or just when idling? I've never seen this happen unless I turned off the DSO - or disconnected it accidentally somehow.

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Hi Mark,

The full 256 levels (8bits) are mapped to +/-4divs with no headroom on the DS4000, so it's not mapping correctly to RUU.

It reported not responding once when I tried to save a waveform to CSV.

Cheers

Alex

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Hi Alex,

The full 256 levels (8bits) are mapped to +/-4divs with no headroom on the DS4000, so it's not mapping correctly to RUU.

If I'm going to get the scaling correct for the DS4000, I need to be sure about the exact amount - so if you could please do the following:
1) Set a square wave on your DSO so that it's just barely touching the Rigol's screen limits at the top and bottom - using vertical position and fine scale adjustments.
2) Then click 'Open' on RUU and record a couple of frames on the DSO (it doesn't matter how many - as long as it's > 2).
3) Click 'Stop'
4) Set 'End Frame' to '2'
5) Click 'Frames' -> 'Compile' - > 'Array' ->  'Save'
6) ZIP the created .fra file and attach it to a post here. Then I will be able to see precisely what ADC values are mapped. Thanks.

It reported not responding once when I tried to save a waveform to CSV.

Ok, perhaps the timeout needs to be longer for ASCII transfers - I'll adjust that.

One other question on your connection problem - did you restart RUU or the DSO or both?

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
@ Mark
  attached is a Frm File with a glitch at frame 22-25 , it shows up as a Plane in the 3-D plot

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Hi Mark,

I think I've got what you want - a bit fuzzy on using the frame capturing stuff at the moment.
I just restarted RUU, not the scope.
Y scale was 375mV/div

Cheers

Alex
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 07:12:24 pm by The Chump »

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
  attached is a Frm File with a glitch at frame 22-25 , it shows up as a Plane in the 3-D plot

Thanks, Teneyes. This is something the Rigol does if you try to read display data from it too fast (instead of something more elegant). I was getting them often until I inserted pauses in the code - I hadn't seen one for awhile, but I guess I'll have to increase the pause time a bit.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
I think I've got what you want - a bit fuzzy on using the frame capturing stuff at the moment.

Thanks Alex - that's perfect. Sure enough, the DS4000 series maps the full 256 bits to the display; I've fixed it in the coming update.

I looked through the CSV saving code (which I hadn't checked since I added the compiled CSV option), and I found the bug that said the scope was not responding when saving the CSV (which wasn't actually true - it was a thrown exception from an array). So I fixed that and hopefully you'll have no more problems with using it.

But I checked saved CSV files from RUU against saved CSV files from the Rigol of the same data (both chan1 and chan2 individually - and together) - and they were identical. So I would suggest trying the same thing yourself - and see if the scaling problem you saw in the file is happening from the Rigol as well. RUU and Rigol saved CSV's (of displayed DataDepth) should be identical.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Uploaded v.2.03 - bug fixes:
1) Fixed the scaling bug for DS4000 series.
2) Fixed a couple of bugs in the save CSV routine.
3) Slowed down frame array reads a slight bit to try to prevent glitch frames.

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Hi Mark,

The scaling looks fine now.
On the saving of data, I have checked that saving CSV to a USB stick works fine. Here is some further info for you:
I have ch1,ch2 connected to the cal signal, and both ch1 and ch2 are AC coupled. Ch3 and 4 are off (but DC coupled).
ch2 is set to invert
I include a screen grab of what was displayed, the CSV obtained using a USB stick, and the CSVs for ch1 and ch2 obtained using RUU.
You will see that the RUU Ch1 csv has used Ch2 scaling, and that Ch2 has used Ch3 scaling and AC/DC coupling setting!

Intriguing!

Cheers

Alex

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
The scaling looks fine now.
On the saving of data, I have checked that saving CSV to a USB stick works fine. Here is some further info for you:
I have ch1,ch2 connected to the cal signal, and both ch1 and ch2 are AC coupled. Ch3 and 4 are off (but DC coupled).
ch2 is set to invert
I include a screen grab of what was displayed, the CSV obtained using a USB stick, and the CSVs for ch1 and ch2 obtained using RUU.
You will see that the RUU Ch1 csv has used Ch2 scaling, and that Ch2 has used Ch3 scaling and AC/DC coupling setting!

Glad to hear the scaling works - and thanks for all the extra digging, Alex. I appreciate it. Getting the CSV data from the scope is very straightforward and simply a matter of telling the scope the channel data you want - and that you want it in ASCII - and then writing it to a file. Since RUU does no processing of any kind on the data - and since at this time RUU never refers to a channel 3 -  you've certainly uncovered a bug in the DS4000 firmware - but don't worry - there are plenty of them in the DS2000's  ;)  I'm curious what will happen once I get around to adding channels 3 and 4 to RUU - I'm not sure when that will happen but I plan to start adding trigger levels, scale settings, etc, to RUU's display in the next version - and when I start to write that code I will also add the code needed to support all 4 channels.

Have you tested saving a frame array file with channel 1 and 2 both enabled - and then playing it back in RUU to make sure that the correct data is retrieved in BYTE (non-ASCII) mode? I assume it's probably fine - since it's closely linked to the waveform display itself.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:53:25 am by marmad »

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Hi Mark,

The frame array works fine as you suspected it would.

Do you have the commands you send, so I can put it through the UltraSigma control panel and see what comes out?

Cheers
Alex

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Do you have the commands you send, so I can put it through the UltraSigma control panel and see what comes out?

Sure. They are as follows:

:WAV:MODE NORM
:WAV:FORM ASC

(Then if channel 1 is enabled to save in RUU:)
:WAV:SOUR CHAN1; *OPC?
:WAV:DATA?

(And if channel 2 is enabled to save in RUU:)
:WAV:SOUR CHAN2; *OPC?
:WAV:DATA?

The *OPC? part of the command just causes the software to wait until the scope is ready for the next command.

Then I just split and format for CSV the string that is returned (but no alteration).
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 12:39:39 pm by marmad »

Offline The Chump

• Contributor
Thanks Mark,

now I can give Rigol steps to reproduce using their software - they can't argue that it might be your bug!

Keep up the good work,

Cheers

Alex

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Holy crap, this looks awesome!
I haven't been following this thread, but I'll have to give this a go.
Have you put any thought into expanding the utility to control a Rigol sig gen and then be able to do automated bode plots?

Dave.

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive

Thanks Dave!

Have you put any thought into expanding the utility to control a Rigol sig gen and then be able to do automated bode plots?

I'd love to do that - and I'll have a real need for it in the near-future since I have to design and build some filters later this year. I'm hoping to buy one of the Rigol DG4000 wave gens sometime soon - and as soon as I do, an automated bode plotter will be the first thing I'll be working on  :)

Until then - the next release should bring all of the scope data (trigger, timebase, & voltage settings) to RUU - and I hope to add surface plots as an option for frame array plotting.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 01:38:19 pm by marmad »

Offline zibadun

• Regular Contributor

Thanks Dave!

I'd love to do that - and I'll have a real need for it in the near-future since I have to design and build some filters later this year. I'm hoping to buy one of the Rigol DG4000 wave gens sometime soon - and as soon as I do, an automated bode plotter will be the first thing I'll be working on  :)

Until then - the next release should bring all of the scope data (trigger, timebase, & voltage settings) to RUU - and I hope to add surface plots as an option for frame array plotting.

Why not start with 3x25 if you still have it?  It's crap but I've been getting useful bode plots with it, especially with some curve fitting magic.  Not getting a sub dB resolution like on a real spectrum analyzer but good enough to see where the filters cut off.  kind of like this:

• Super Contributor
    • DaysAlive
Why not start with 3x25 if you still have it?  It's crap but I've been getting useful bode plots with it, especially with some curve fitting magic.  Not getting a sub dB resolution like on a real spectrum analyzer but good enough to see where the filters cut off.  kind of like this:

I think I've done enough programming for the 3x25 - too many quirks and poor design choices - and a terrible command set for the firmware. It was a bargain for the money - and it served it's purpose - but I need to upgrade to a better wave gen. soon.

Offline Teneyes

• Frequent Contributor
More Fun with RUU
and DS2072 with DG4062 ,   I'm in on RdgUU  :)

A sawtooth Modulated Sawtooth

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf