Author Topic: Simple Voltage Reference Project  (Read 17824 times)

Offline EpicIntelGamerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Simple Voltage Reference Project
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2013, 12:59:53 am »
So it looks like the lower voltage winding has potential!

Indeed it does. 8)

Oh I guess I posted this in the wrong thread  :palm:

That was meant to go in my Homemade PSU V2 Thread lol

Offline PA4TIM

• Super Contributor
  • instruments are like rabbits, they multiply fast
    • PA4TIMs shelter for orphan measurement stuff
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2013, 06:51:38 am »
No, they are not from headers ( those do not have the golden inner "springs" ) but from a pcb out of some medical instrument. But you can use the pins from a good IC socket too.

Every Vref is usefull to calibrate something as long as it's value is much better known as that somethings accuracy.
You can build something with 4 TL431 like I did, it makes 10V but without reference or calibration you will never know the value.

A reference itself had several things. It has a typical value. Most can en will deviade a few mV from that. They most times come in several grades. The more change it is close to typical, the more expensive. The LT1027 for instance is in a A,B and C grade. The A grade is very hard to find, most sell the C grade, LT only samples the B, the A is the best.
So that makes a TL431 ( or other simple reference) without calibration only usefull for a cheap 2,5 digit multimeter or AVO 8 or so.
A reference needs time to stabilize. The fist few hunderd hours they change the most
The change by temp, relative humidity etc, but that is in the tens/hundereds of uV region. Not important for a 3,5 digit 1% meter.

Most references do not like o be loaded direct by a meter, they need a buffer amp behind them.

I have 7,5 digit meters, calibrators and standards so I can adjust and monitor a Vref with some confidence. Problem is the climate change in my lab. This gives me a 100 uV uncertanty. I have a climate independed knowh source so with a lot of work and enough speed I can bring it down to less as 5 uV
www.pa4tim.nl my collection measurement gear and experiments Also lots of info about network analyse
www.schneiderelectronicsrepair.nl  repair of test and calibration equipment
https://www.youtube.com/user/pa4tim my youtube channel

Offline EpicIntelGamerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 05:03:13 pm »
Been a while since there was activity in my thread and I recently thought of something and figured I'd ask here.

Now that I have a pretty nice reference (It shows 5.009VDC on my most accurate 4.5Digit meter which was last calibrated in 2004), is there a way I can use it or perhaps another REF02 regulator to help make a reasonably accurate current source?

Offline ve7xen

• Super Contributor
    • VE7XEN Blog
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 05:22:00 pm »
Been a while since there was activity in my thread and I recently thought of something and figured I'd ask here.

Now that I have a pretty nice reference (It shows 5.009VDC on my most accurate 4.5Digit meter which was last calibrated in 2004), is there a way I can use it or perhaps another REF02 regulator to help make a reasonably accurate current source?
There are many ways, of course. A low offset opamp and a circuit like one of these: http://www.maximintegrated.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/3869 with a precision resistor will get you reasonable accuracy for a low current source (e.g. 1mA).
73 de VE7XEN
He/Him

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf