Author Topic: Quartz clock movement specifies CZ battery, not alkaline?  (Read 2296 times)

Offline rickthegeekTopic starter

Quartz clock movement specifies CZ battery, not alkaline?
« on: February 09, 2021, 11:18:53 pm »
Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I have a project where I am going to be placing a quartz clock module (the thing that has the battery and turns the hands around), and the module I have ordered says do not use Alkaline, it specifies the older carbon-zinc battery. The description says that alkaline (or rechargables) will damage the unit.

Why is this? I've never heard of alkaline batteries causing damage, other than leaks...

Here is the link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K5QT287/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tnanks!
Rick

Offline JohnnyMalaria

• Super Contributor
    • Enlighten Scientific LLC
Re: Quartz clock movement specifies CZ battery, not alkaline?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 11:26:35 pm »
I don't see where it says that. It does say "(Please use Carbon or Low Eletric Current Batteries)" and in the Q&A, a lot of people say they use alkaline.

I suspect they are advising against using rechargeables, as here: https://frankenmuthclock.com/blogs/news/best-batteries-for-your-battery-operated-clock .

Offline CaptDon

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 02:29:32 am »
When alkalines die they will most assuredly start to leak. Generally the clock will stop working long before the leak begins, BUT every time I have run across an abandoned clock that used a single AA alkaline the battery had already began leaking!!!! I have been through about 5 of them since the beginning of the new year. Going around to our empty offices (Now that the piece of crap company I work for does all the drafting in India and most of the design in China and they all suck!!!) and taking down all of the dead clocks with dead leaking batteries!!!
Collector and repairer of vintage and not so vintage electronic gadgets and test equipment. What's the difference between a pizza and a musician? A pizza can feed a family of four!! Classically trained guitarist. Sound engineer.

Offline rickthegeekTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 09:19:02 pm »
Well, I've always used the basic won-hung-lo alkaline batteries, the store brand, or the Amazon basic batteries, and I generally only look at the back of the clocks in my house twice a year when the time changes occur. I've never had an alkaline battery leak in a clock that I know of.

I have never looked closely but is it even possible to find the older CZ style batteries in stores?

(Personally, I like the clocks that plug into a special recessed wall outlet but I haven't seen any of those sold in a long time! I still see the outlets in houses, often with a battery clock hung over it!  :) )

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2021, 11:09:53 pm »
Hi!

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I have a project where I am going to be placing a quartz clock module (the thing that has the battery and turns the hands around), and the module I have ordered says do not use Alkaline, it specifies the older carbon-zinc battery. The description says that alkaline (or rechargables) will damage the unit.

Why is this? I've never heard of alkaline batteries causing damage, other than leaks...

Here is the link: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K5QT287/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Tnanks!
Rick
Huh? The last product image says to use carbon or alkaline.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf