Author Topic: Precision(ish) 1A current source  (Read 2329 times)

Offline max_torqueTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
Precision(ish) 1A current source
« on: April 14, 2017, 09:36:14 pm »
If i wanted to build a programmable current source, that could provide up to 1 amp of current, what practical level of precision could be achieved without going too mad with specs and design?

Assume i use a 16b DAC to provide the voltage reference to the closed loop current controller, that's a theoretical maximum resolution of just about 15uA, although in reality, i doubt all 16b could be sensible realised?

Then, the control loop would need to amplify the voltage across a sense resistor, which i guess could be a relatively large value ( i don't need a particularly low output impedance, as the current is just being run through a shunt to calibrate that shunt).  Obviously, there will be some offset and gain errors here too

Finally, the unit will need to operate at a sensible range of room temperatures, although i can include temperature measurement and hence correction in the firmware

What have people achieved with similar designs?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: Precision(ish) 1A current source
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 09:42:49 pm »
With high stability resistors and a good reference you might achieve 100ppm (0.01% / 100uA). I'd go for a good >18bit DAC though from TI or AD.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline cellularmitosis

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:47:11 pm »
This is exactly the project I'm working on right now!  (Actually, it will be two sources, used to characterize a transistor: it will try a bunch of different combos of base current and collector current and spit out a table).

I made a programmable LM317 a few years ago, so I'll be reusing the digital side of that (ATTiny85 + MCP4801)

I'll keep you posted!
LTZs: KX FX MX CX PX Frank A9 QX

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 11:56:01 pm »
The thing that always limits precision on these is the self heating and temperature coefficient of the current shunt resistor.  So power derate the current shunt resistor and use the lowest value of resistance consistent with the offset error and noise of the error amplifier.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 12:05:59 am »
I was working with similar circuits. The design goal was 0.03%. For that, you need bulk metal foil resistors (or similar), or temperature control, reference voltage which is very stable, auto-zero amps, and 24 bit ADCs, closed loop, auto calibrated. It is not trivial, but all parts are off the shelf. And you need a better multimeter, because a  simple 6.5 digit one is just not good enough.

Offline max_torqueTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • bitdynamics
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2017, 12:02:33 pm »
The thing that always limits precision on these is the self heating and temperature coefficient of the current shunt resistor.  So power derate the current shunt resistor and use the lowest value of resistance consistent with the offset error and noise of the error amplifier.

I was considering putting the shunt resistor on/in a temp controlled section of pcb, with a heater, and closed loop controlling that temp to say 50degC, for consistency?  In either case i will at the very least measure the temp of the shunt resistor (as closely as possible) and correct the DAC output for this offset.

Offline Hensingler

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 12:28:23 pm »
as the current is just being run through a shunt to calibrate that shunt).

Then you don't need a precision current source just a stable enough one which most bench power supplies will be. Measure the current with a reference shunt or a meter.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2017, 04:48:37 pm »

I was considering putting the shunt resistor on/in a temp controlled section of pcb, with a heater, and closed loop controlling that temp to say 50degC, for consistency?  In either case i will at the very least measure the temp of the shunt resistor (as closely as possible) and correct the DAC output for this offset.
These shunts have significant self heating, so that is not really working like that.
Also, do a search for these resistors first. It is not trivial. You need at least 100mV to get any reasonable accuracy, so the shunt has to be in the 0.1 Ohm-0.5Ohm range, so you end up with 0.1-0.5W self heating.  That is about 15 degrees for a 5W resistor.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf