Author Topic: New Component  (Read 6148 times)

Offline ChrisGreece52Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Electronics Engineer - Hacker - Nerd
New Component
« on: May 02, 2013, 05:19:17 pm »
I recently have found inductors gates and stuff. but i now want a new component that is good for windening my horizons and helping me go further.
So please if you have a simple and usefull component that will help a beginer shout it out loud :P
thank you.

Offline jebcom

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Component
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 05:44:47 pm »
Here's 2 cents:

OK, well I'll assume that you've studied transistors already, at least BJTs.
If you're doing searching, researching, and learning, you might want to look at thyristors, especially if you're interested in power switching. You can start with SCRs, then Triacs, Quadracs, and Alternistors. It's interesting to learn how to get them to do what you want them to do, and importantly, prevent them from doing what you don't want them to do. (Also search on snubbers and dv/dt.)

Oh, and then you can move on to IGBTs.

Good luck, and enjoy!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 05:56:19 pm by jebcom »

Offline jmole

• Regular Contributor
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2013, 06:40:09 pm »
Learn how to use op amps, BJTs, and MOSFETs, and you will be covered for 90% of the stuff you will use in most electronics.

Offline codeboy2k

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 09:24:58 pm »
I want to suggest that you learn how a diode works. Now, you might be thinking, "Wow! Codeboy, that's the easiest challenge ever!".. in fact, you probably already know how it works, it conducts current only in one direction when the voltage across the junction exceeds it's Vf (forward junction voltage).

But really learn how it works.  What I mean by that is, learn how it works at the physical level, not just that it conducts current when it's forward biased. Learn why this is so.  Learn what affects this physical effect, and learn what can change it. Learn the energy levels required. Yes, this is physics, not electronics, but once you have a deeper understanding of the simple PN junction and the physical processes that go on there, you will have a much, much, deeper understanding of why BJTs work, why MOSFETS work, why thyristors work, etc. These devices all consist of multiple PN junctions in various configurations.  When you look at the stackup, you will see them differently, suddenly you will see charge carriers, regions of varying charge densities, charge migration, and more.. you will no longer see just current and electrons and you will be one with the semiconductor :)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:10:52 pm »
Here's 2 cents:

OK, well I'll assume that you've studied transistors already, at least BJTs.
If you're doing searching, researching, and learning, you might want to look at thyristors, especially if you're interested in power switching. You can start with SCRs, then Triacs, Quadracs, and Alternistors. It's interesting to learn how to get them to do what you want them to do, and importantly, prevent them from doing what you don't want them to do. (Also search on snubbers and dv/dt.)

Oh, and then you can move on to IGBTs.

Good luck, and enjoy!
Thanks will do a bit more reasearch about thyristors because i liked the component name and some schematics is saw by googling "thyristor"

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:25 pm »
Learn how to use op amps, BJTs, and MOSFETs, and you will be covered for 90% of the stuff you will use in most electronics.
I odered op amps to mess with them.I have NPN transistors and i had my fun with them.But MOSFieldEffectTransistor (the only words i know of the"word" MOSFET)

interesting i am going to do reasearch and order some to mess around.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2013, 10:14:41 pm »
I want to suggest that you learn how a diode works. Now, you might be thinking, "Wow! Codeboy, that's the easiest challenge ever!".. in fact, you probably already know how it works, it conducts current only in one direction when the voltage across the junction exceeds it's Vf (forward junction voltage).

But really learn how it works.  What I mean by that is, learn how it works at the physical level, not just that it conducts current when it's forward biased. Learn why this is so.  Learn what affects this physical effect, and learn what can change it. Learn the energy levels required. Yes, this is physics, not electronics, but once you have a deeper understanding of the simple PN junction and the physical processes that go on there, you will have a much, much, deeper understanding of why BJTs work, why MOSFETS work, why thyristors work, etc. These devices all consist of multiple PN junctions in various configurations.  When you look at the stackup, you will see them differently, suddenly you will see charge carriers, regions of varying charge densities, charge migration, and more.. you will no longer see just current and electrons and you will be one with the semiconductor :)
Thanks for the advice... a reasearch at the components i already have would really help me :P

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2013, 10:22:43 pm »
I searched about thyristors. And understood the thing the idea and the categories.
And to sum it up it is just a transistor and a diode who had a baby and named it thyristor.
But in a video i found it says that it has lower switching speeds than transistors.
But as i continue watching the video i realise how wrong i am.... its more than that and i will make a reasearch on it.... in depth

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 10:28:42 pm »
Also every IC suggestion is welcome

• Frequent Contributor

Offline jmole

• Regular Contributor
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2013, 11:15:15 pm »
MOSFET: 2N7000 is a pretty basic, easily characterizable mosfet, with spice models in just about every simulator you can find. Grab a couple, you'll probably burn one out the first time.

Ditto for the LM324 op amp.

Also, MOSFET = metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2013, 11:51:50 pm »
And to sum it up it is just a transistor and a diode who had a baby and named it thyristor.

More like two transistors had a baby. I guess the offspring of two transistors is not a transistor in electronics-land...

One interesting one is the PUT (programmable unijunction transistor). Technically a thyristor, but not the usual type. They're not incredibly useful, but they're kind of cool if you like weird things.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline jebcom

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 12:26:38 am »
Thyristors i found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-MAC97A8-97A8-Triac-Thyristor-bi-directional-0-6A-/250869084147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68f66ff3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-2P4M-SCR-Thyristor-400V-2A-NEC-Free-Shipping-/280968340315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416b04a35b
Which should i get.

I'd probably get both. Experiment with the SCR on DC a bit, then move on to the triac. If you have a junk box salvage low-voltage transformer or AC wall wart, you can get the most out of the triac experiments without messing directly with lethal voltage. Try looking up some light dimmer circuits or motor speed control circuits to see how they work.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 12:42:13 am »
MOSFET: 2N7000 is a pretty basic, easily characterizable mosfet, with spice models in just about every simulator you can find. Grab a couple, you'll probably burn one out the first time.

Ditto for the LM324 op amp.

Also, MOSFET = metal–oxide–semiconductor field-effect transistor
Thank you .. i had searched about 2n700 in the past (i remembered it and the google cookies helped me remember) .. but for a reason i did not order any.. well i will now.
as for the OP amp i got an LM358

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2013, 12:44:22 am »
Thyristors i found.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-x-MAC97A8-97A8-Triac-Thyristor-bi-directional-0-6A-/250869084147?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68f66ff3
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-x-2P4M-SCR-Thyristor-400V-2A-NEC-Free-Shipping-/280968340315?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item416b04a35b
Which should i get.

I'd probably get both. Experiment with the SCR on DC a bit, then move on to the triac. If you have a junk box salvage low-voltage transformer or AC wall wart, you can get the most out of the triac experiments without messing directly with lethal voltage. Try looking up some light dimmer circuits or motor speed control circuits to see how they work.
I will go with the SCR for the momment because from your words i got that it is the basic category and the triac uses AC voltage(if i got it right) so ill begin with the SCR one.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2013, 12:46:10 am »
I'm not too impressed with 2N7000. Mediocre current rating, low-ish power rating (OK, you probably wouldn't use them to dissipate much power anyway) and quite ESD-sensitive. They do switch fairly quickly (10 ns), but I don't need that often. I don't really have too many uses for them for which a PN2222 won't suffice.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline jmole

• Regular Contributor
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2013, 06:41:21 am »
I'm not too impressed with 2N7000. Mediocre current rating, low-ish power rating (OK, you probably wouldn't use them to dissipate much power anyway) and quite ESD-sensitive. They do switch fairly quickly (10 ns), but I don't need that often. I don't really have too many uses for them for which a PN2222 won't suffice.

You could say the same thing about an opamp... but the components really have very different uses.

a MOSFET needs very little input current, compared to a BJT. This is useful in voltage amplifiers with high impedance sources. Conversely, a BJT is a great current amplifier for transimpedance amplification, like with a photodiode.

Still, unless you're dealing with audio (on the low-frequency side), or RF (on the high frequency side), you're going to use an opamp 98% of the time for both of these purposes.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 10:23:48 am »
I have these BC550 shall i get PN2222???

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf