Author Topic: my own original oscillator  (Read 13039 times)

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
Re: my own original oscillator
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2019, 11:21:42 pm »
It's my original idea so don't be stealing it.

I would steal it if I had 2kV lying around, and, oh, a 100Meg resistor.  :-DD

The spark plug was customized to achieve the lower breakdown voltage.  I am working on the patent for it now.

Don't divulge any further information about it then...if you are serious about patenting.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2019, 12:08:03 am »
I am making claims for not just this spark plug but for all gaps.  I plan to patent not just this particular gap, but all gaps.   I also plan to patent the use of my custom spark gap, not only for this oscillator, but for all applications I feel can benefit.  My technique of using a hammer is very novel.  I'm sure it will be awarded and then I will sell the idea to a large company and I'll be set for life. 

If that doesn't work out, maybe I can patent an LED oscillator.

Offline krayvonkTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2019, 01:04:15 am »
I understand that.   An rc oscillator if it were possible is pretty much a base unit, unpatentable, like a triangle for example.

"You cant use that shape,  I patented it dammit."   I agree with you.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:06:27 am by krayvonk »

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 09, 2019, 01:26:21 am »
I am making claims for not just this spark plug but for all gaps.  I plan to patent not just this particular gap, but all gaps.   I also plan to patent the use of my custom spark gap, not only for this oscillator, but for all applications I feel can benefit.  My technique of using a hammer is very novel.  I'm sure it will be awarded and then I will sell the idea to a large company and I'll be set for life. 

LOL...OK.  Let me know when you assert it.  I will be your expert witness...that is my business.  I never lose.  Please put the hammer in a secure location out of the public eye.  It will be important later.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 09, 2019, 02:02:10 am »
Hey krayvonk! Don't get discouraged. Most of us here have built simple oscillators that we didn't fully understand at one time or another.

Trouble is, we were trying to build amplifiers.     :palm:
The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: MagicSmoker

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #80 on: July 09, 2019, 02:03:14 am »
Im sure you guys aren't struggling to build anything.  And you dont need any help from me. :)

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #81 on: July 09, 2019, 02:13:09 am »
give it one last beauty shot.   :-*

//           -+
 //           zz
 //           ||
 //           ||
 //       ---------
 //     _|         |_
 //    |  |         |  |
 //    |  |         |  |
 //    |  |         |  |
 //    |  =        = |
 //    z  |         | z
 //    |_|         |_|
 //       ---------
 //           ||
 //           ||
 //           zz
 //           +-

« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:26:14 am by krayvonk »

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 09, 2019, 03:22:52 am »
Cleaned up and a few parts added for good measure.  8)

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #83 on: July 09, 2019, 03:27:15 am »
Hang on, that ascii IS BEAUTIFUL.

Anyone here mastered pneumatics?!!??, its still a dodgy dream in my head.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 03:30:04 am by krayvonk »

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #84 on: July 09, 2019, 04:48:50 am »
It's just air nothing dodgy about that ;D

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #85 on: July 09, 2019, 07:01:29 am »
Pnuematics is just a bunch of math. I am familiar with most of it. Im not sure your "mastered" means the same as mine. But ask away.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #86 on: July 10, 2019, 01:27:07 am »

LOL...OK.  Let me know when you assert it.  I will be your expert witness...that is my business.  I never lose.  Please put the hammer in a secure location out of the public eye.  It will be important later.
While my hammer is the preferred embodiment,  the patent is written to be very broad.  It should be obvious to one skilled in the art that pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches and rocks could also be used to adjust the gap.    I should be able to prevent anyone from using a spark gap for any purpose in the future without paying me royalties.   

I understand that.   An rc oscillator if it were possible is pretty much a base unit, unpatentable, like a triangle for example.

"You cant use that shape,  I patented it dammit."   I agree with you.

That is a very good point but as I have tried to explain that the gap I show is indeed a capacitor.   An air gap style capacitor is also a spark gap.  I have included this in my patent.   

If you really believe that an RC oscillator can't be built, you are not paying attention.  So watch and learn.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:33:48 am by joeqsmith »

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #87 on: July 10, 2019, 04:33:08 am »
So could we make an oscillator using an LED, with no transistor or spark gap?  Maybe. 

Feel free to repeat this experiment if you like as I am not doing anything magic and no free energy was used.  Basically, I have a 2.4Meg resistor connected to a couple of back to back diodes that are in series.  Two were used for demonstrating changing the polarity but are not needed.  The other side of the diode pair connects to ground through a 100 ohm.  There's a 0.001uF from the high side of the pair to ground.   The scope is across the 100 ohm.   The voltage is increased until the reversed biased diode goes into avalanche.   

It's a sort of chaotic oscillator.   The diode that is operating in avalanche does not emit any light visible by my eyes.   

****  Corrected values ****

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:32:26 pm by joeqsmith »

The following users thanked this post: krayvonk

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #88 on: July 10, 2019, 07:26:13 am »
Yes,  I see,   your telling me the led is adding another variable to the situation.     Got to be more careful about things...
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 07:28:18 am by krayvonk »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #89 on: July 10, 2019, 10:35:20 am »
Rerouter.

I do have an important beginner question.

What is the most analogous capacitor in pneumatics,  and is it trickier to use?

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: July 10, 2019, 11:33:00 am »
Rerouter.

I do have an important beginner question.

What is the most analogous capacitor in pneumatics,  and is it trickier to use?

An accumulator (tank, vessel) would be comparable to a capacitor, where a restrictor (orifice, hole) would be a resistor.  Smaller the hole, the higher the resistance.  Larger the tank, higher the capacitance.  Tubing for example could be a accumulator or restrictor, depending how it is used.  Not sure what the tricky part would be. 

An example would be the air shift on my motorcycle.   Here you can see the accumulator (capacitor) which is storing the gas for the shift cylinder.  In this case, the shift happens very faster than the regulator can respond.  The accumulator is downstream from the regulator and is larger than the cylinder.    Similar to a bulk capacitor.   

I have added a view looking from the right side of the bike to show the shift cylinder.

Yes,  I see,   your telling me the led is adding another variable to the situation.     Got to be more careful about things...
Obviously, you need to be accurate when describing a circuit or no one will be able to understand and follow you (assuming that is your goal).   Of course, if you like to troll about UFOs and circuits, fuzzy pictures and inaccurate documents are the way to go.  Just depends what you are after. 

I look at EVERY part in a circuit as a variable.  That's not a bad thing.  They all have tolerances and such.  It's up to the designer to account for all of this.   

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:40:54 am by joeqsmith »

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #91 on: July 10, 2019, 12:04:45 pm »
By shift cylinder you mean pneumatic transmission?  If thats what it is, thats pretty amazing,  never heard of it before.

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 10, 2019, 03:34:52 pm »
By shift cylinder you mean pneumatic transmission?  If thats what it is, thats pretty amazing,  never heard of it before.

It's pneumatic-driven shifting of a mechanical (gearwheel-based) gearbox.

Offline ArthurDent

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: July 10, 2019, 04:10:43 pm »
"It's pneumatic-driven shifting of a mechanical (gearwheel-based) gearbox."

Some transmissions use fluid amplifiers to shift but there are also fluid oscillators with no moving part in the usual sense. Check this link and note the feedback loops that make this oscillate.

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech, BrianHG, krayvonk

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #94 on: July 10, 2019, 06:00:42 pm »
Then there is even just structural fluid and air oscillators. Generally used for flow measurement. You run airor water past an obstacle and you get an oscillating vortex with a frequency proportional to the flow rate.

https://www.enggcyclopedia.com/2011/07/vortex-flow-meter/

As to pnumatics. At a simple level anythere there is volume is a capacitor. Anywhere there is a restriction is a resistor. And any gas with mass acts like an inductor. 1 way valves are like diodes. You loose some pressure passing through them.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2019, 11:33:25 pm »

It's pneumatic-driven shifting of a mechanical (gearwheel-based) gearbox.

That is correct. 

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2019, 11:55:10 pm »
That oscillator is the simplest machine ive ever seen!!  thanks for showing.   Capacitors seem one ended in pneumatics, but in electricity they seem 2 ended to me.      Hmm, I just had a burst of inspiration to try and make a pneumatic oscillator,  but I guess one thing at a time.

Im finding as I get older, my brain is working not as well, but things are getting easier to think about at the same time.

Offline alsetalokin4017

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 11, 2019, 01:12:32 am »
Pneumatic oscillator with tunable resonator:

The easiest person to fool is yourself. -- Richard Feynman

The following users thanked this post: Nitrousoxide, cpt.armadillo

Offline TheHolyHorse

• Regular Contributor
  • You don't need to be confused, just understand it.
« Reply #98 on: July 11, 2019, 03:58:13 pm »
That oscillator is the simplest machine ive ever seen!!  thanks for showing.   Capacitors seem one ended in pneumatics, but in electricity they seem 2 ended to me.      Hmm, I just had a burst of inspiration to try and make a pneumatic oscillator,  but I guess one thing at a time.

Im finding as I get older, my brain is working not as well, but things are getting easier to think about at the same time.

It's two ended in pneumatics as well, think of the actual tank as the dielectric. So one end is connected to the pressurized side and the other is the atmosphere.

• Regular Contributor
  • !
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2019, 10:14:25 pm »
Hey guys, I got some good news.   Ive got it oscillating without the diodes and the buzzer,   but its very quiet, and its about 10hz but flickery, I can just pick it out with my eye.

Whats this level of oscillation if you can *just* see it flickering on the led?   I can see it from only dead on,   but not from the side,  and trust me im not tricking myself again!! the circuit was left on without my hand touching it,  its NOT just dodgy connections! even tho it is very quiet.

I need more time,  if I end up posting it here working as good as a transistor one,  wham im too good right?  :)

<EDIT> i just removed some power resistors and its confirmed.  its flicky and about 10hz and i can see it from the side of the led now.  video coming soon <EDIT>
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 10:29:55 pm by krayvonk »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf