Author Topic: LIR-series rechargeable lithium coin cells  (Read 2897 times)

Offline KelbitTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
LIR-series rechargeable lithium coin cells
« on: February 02, 2017, 07:11:42 pm »
I recently ordered a few LIR1025 coin cells from China. The LIR series seems to be a rechargeable lithium-ion alternative to the venerable CR series lithium primary cell.

Despite their questionable origins, they actually are a pretty useful cell: various sources online for the LIR1025 state 6 mAh capacity, which isn't great energy density (primary silver oxide cells do better) but they are rechargeable, and the pulse handling capability is remarkably good for very low duty cycle large current pulses. I tested the 6 mAh claim by discharging the cell through a resistor and logging the voltage across the resistor, and it's actually true:

I have an application at work which would really benefit from these cells, but I can't find them anywhere except places like Alibaba. Is anyone aware of anyone who manufactures these cells? Preferably I'd be after a supplier outside of China, but China could be OK as well provided it's an established company with good quality control that I can send auditors to for site visits.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 02:43:17 pm by Kelbit »

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
Re: LIR-series rechargeable lithium coin cells
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 01:49:19 am »
I assume they have to be small? Otherwise a supercapacitor would work but would be much larger (10x or more).

I found this article: http://ilithia.unicampus.it/ilithia/DTDocumentiPDF/DT_120_GoffredoRosa.pdf
They mention its purchased from GMB corp. Although that is in China as well..
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 02:42:25 am »
Phonak makes a hearing aid with a rechargeable battery. Local hearing aid dealers probably have some but it might not be removable (soldered in?).

Offline exmadscientist

• Frequent Contributor
  • Technically A Professional
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 03:32:09 am »
ML-614 and ML-621 are small rechargeable coin cells available from "real" vendors. I've had good results using them as no-replacement-required RTC batteries.

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2017, 11:55:57 am »
ML-614 and ML-621 are small rechargeable coin cells available from "real" vendors. I've had good results using them as no-replacement-required RTC batteries.
Those are full at 3V and use lithium-manganese-dioxide chemistry. As you can see from the graph in the OP, LIR are the usual 4.2V lion chemistry (cobalt).

EEMB looks to be one of the larger manufacturers, as this is one of their datasheets: http://ultran.ru/sites/default/files/catalog/svetodiody/brend/datasheets/lir1025_.pdf

Offline KelbitTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 06:30:10 pm »
I assume they have to be small? Otherwise a supercapacitor would work but would be much larger (10x or more).

I found this article: http://ilithia.unicampus.it/ilithia/DTDocumentiPDF/DT_120_GoffredoRosa.pdf
They mention its purchased from GMB corp. Although that is in China as well..

Yes, size is a major constraint for this application unfortunately. I have thought about using a silver oxide cell paralleled with a supercap to handle big pulse loads, but supercaps just aren't quite small enough (yet). Thanks for the thesis link, I'll take a read.

Phonak makes a hearing aid with a rechargeable battery. Local hearing aid dealers probably have some but it might not be removable (soldered in?).

Thanks for the tip - I'll see if I can dig up some documentation on these. Based on the form factor I'm seeing on their website, I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually a really small prismatic cell (something like this) rather than a coin cell.

Those are full at 3V and use lithium-manganese-dioxide chemistry. As you can see from the graph in the OP, LIR are the usual 4.2V lion chemistry (cobalt).

EEMB looks to be one of the larger manufacturers, as this is one of their datasheets: http://ultran.ru/sites/default/files/catalog/svetodiody/brend/datasheets/lir1025_.pdf

Yes, I think we've tried lithium manganese dioxide before without much success (they don't pulse well). I'll see if I can get in touch with an EEMB sales rep after the lunar new year holiday ends and Shenzhen opens for business again.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf