Author Topic: Large flash chips are obtainable?  (Read 5671 times)

Offline ali_asadzadehTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Large flash chips are obtainable?
« on: August 17, 2020, 07:53:30 am »
Hi,
I have some cool Ideas about making SSD's, I was searching and wonder if we can buy large flash chips from manufacturers,
I have Ideas about making a 1TB SSD, so I need 64 chips of 16GB each (Serial interface like QSPI or Hyper flash), what are our options? do you have any idea?
ASiDesigner, Stands for Application specific intelligent devices
I'm a Digital Expert from 8-bits to 64-bits

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Large flash chips are obtainable?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 12:42:16 pm »
The only source I can think of that would be cheaper than just buying a new SSD would be to buy "bricked" SSDs at scrap prices and salvaging the chips from them. (The early ones that were prone to bricking almost always did so due to firmware bugs.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 01:16:16 pm »
So where do the SSD manufacturers buy the chips? any know brand?

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 01:39:01 pm »
Some get deals buying in bulk, some manufacture their own chips.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Offline Maxoverdrive

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 05:53:53 pm »
some chips are available only per quantity as 5000 units batches or more  , could be available from chips brokers in China , HK and other countries

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2020, 06:40:08 am »
Do we have part numbers?

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2020, 08:30:57 am »
You can buy flash memory chips at pretty much any electronics component supplier like DigiKey:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/micron-technology-inc/MT29F128G08CFABBWP-12IT-B-TR/557-1833-1-ND/9673814

Just don't expect to get the dirt cheep prices that the chinese flash memory fabs pump out directly to manufacturers.

The cheapest way to get these large capacity flash chips is probably to buy some cheep SSDs, take them apart and desolder the chips off them. At that point if your goal was to make a SSD... well you could have just used the SSD you just bought rather than cannibalizing it for its memory chips

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2020, 09:53:01 am »
I want to know how to enter the bussines 8) >:D

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2020, 10:07:33 am »
I want to know how to enter the bussines 8) >:D

In that case you raise a few million dollars of investment money and get into negotiations with flash memory fab owners to buy the bad flash memory dies in quantities of >100k. Use the rest of the money to set up a chip packaging production line that is being fed by an automated chip testing array that maps out the dead memory locations to not be used.

Or if you secure an investment in the 100s of milions then make your own semiconductor fab and make your own flash silicon dies, all while keeping costs as low as possible to hopefully still turn a tiny bit of profit by the end.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 01:22:44 pm »
Rather than try to compete in the mass market with thin margins, you might want to look at niche markets that will pay (a lot) more per GB because they needed some feature common SSDs do not have. That could be some sort of interface other than SATA or PCIe or special firmware features. One example would be a SSD with a write protect switch, another would be a keychain SSD with built in Wifi and battery for iPhones and other portable computing devices that do not accept micro SD cards.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2020, 01:23:24 pm »
why do you think they made a small profit!?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micron_Technology

This one is poor too :'( :o
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SK_Hynix

we should help them, please buy from them or they would go bankrupt >:D

Their small  and tiny Operating income was about US$5.87 billion (2017) and US$18.34 billion (2018), we should probably help them be able to keep their business :-DD

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2020, 01:42:27 pm »
They manufacture their own chips, a particularly difficult task with cutting edge technology. Also note that they also make general purpose DRAM, which is a lot more expensive per GB, and graphics DRAM, which is even more expensive. Those really help to pay back the huge investments of constantly upgrading fabs to stay competitive. The margins on Flash are thin, but they are able to more than make up for it with very high production volume.

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2020, 02:08:51 pm »
Micron and sk hynix both manufacture memory chips.  It's not a super profitable business but thay is different than the companies that buy the chips and controllers and package them into off brand SSDs.

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2020, 02:31:06 pm »

Only reason they turn a profit is by making massive volumes since the profit margins on flash are so thin. There is no way someone could just spin up a new flash memory fab out of nothing and turn a profit in small volumes. Quite a few even dropped out of flash memory manufacturing because it just was not worth it. Then the flash memory price crash happened recently where they groseley over estimated the demand for flash due to people not buying as many SSDs as they thought. But since the price of flash memory dropped like a brick so did prices of SSDs and so everyone did indeed start buying them and so the prices have stabilized again once this excess production volume was used up.

But at least flash has a bright future ahed of it. Hard drive manufacturers instead are feeling the pressure as flash is gradually closing the gap in price per GB.

The following users thanked this post: NiHaoMike

Offline ejeffrey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2020, 05:58:39 pm »
Back to your original post:

I have some cool Ideas about making SSD's, I was searching and wonder if we can buy large flash chips from manufacturers,

If you have some cool ideas then by all means: start off buying expensive chips from digikey/mouser to make your prototypes.  If you have a product you want to manufacture in moderate volumes then you just start calling up bigger distributors.  You won't get the prices that the big players get when they have high volume ongoing contracts, but you should be able to do better than digikey.  If you find a niche market you might be able to sell some, although turning a profit or paying back reasonable development costs is going to be difficult in such an established and competitive market even if you come up with cool distinguishing features.

have Ideas about making a 1TB SSD, so I need 64 chips of 16GB each (Serial interface like QSPI or Hyper flash), what are our options? do you have any idea?

AFAIK, most high capacity flash chips use parallel interfaces.  Certainly that is what is used in consumer SSDs.  I don't know if you can find QSPI or other "serial" flash chips in such large capacity.  Why is that important for your application?

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 07:10:18 pm »
It is all can be done until time comes to sell it. How you are going to advertise, sell, ship, support, handle returns, etc. Is it going to be out of your garage? Even Apple had to provide customer support to the (only) 200 customers who bought their Apple 1 gizmo.
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 07:37:43 pm »
It shouldn't be hard to get 16GB QSPI chips in modest quantities. They get embedded in many things, so there is a market for them in both small and large quantities. Those aren't the kind of chips that get used in SSDs, though. Chips that will support the kind of high performance people look for in an SSD are only sold in large volumes with direct vendor support, and directly interface to an SSD controller chip. This is because the only market for them is the various forms of SSD, and those are only made in high volumes.

Offline CChin254

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2020, 12:04:50 am »
Some small SSDs use 16 GB NAND Flash, such as the OCZ RevoDrive 350 SSD 480 GB. That SSD uses 32 16GB NAND Flash chips (Toshiba #TH58TEG7DDJBA4C).

Offline CChin254

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2020, 12:08:09 am »
You could by large (128GB+) NAND Flash chips made by Micron, but the datasheets are not publicly available. You would probably have to contact the manufacturer for them which then comes probably under a NDA and if you plan buy a lot.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2020, 07:00:50 am »
AFAIK, most high capacity flash chips use parallel interfaces.  Certainly that is what is used in consumer SSDs.  I don't know if you can find QSPI or other "serial" flash chips in such large capacity.  Why is that important for your application?
My Idea needs a serial Flash chip ^-^ the problem is that I could not find large ones, even with Big prices to pay.

It shouldn't be hard to get 16GB QSPI chips in modest quantities. They get embedded in many things, so there is a market for them in both small and large quantities. Those aren't the kind of chips that get used in SSDs, though. Chips that will support the kind of high performance people look for in an SSD are only sold in large volumes with direct vendor support, and directly interface to an SSD controller chip. This is because the only market for them is the various forms of SSD, and those are only made in high volumes.
Do you have part numbers?

Offline TomS_

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2020, 10:48:30 am »
My Idea needs a serial Flash chip ^-^ the problem is that I could not find large ones, even with Big prices to pay.

Implement the required interface in an FPGA?

Online mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2020, 11:32:25 am »

Their small  and tiny Operating income was about US$5.87 billion (2017) and US$18.34 billion (2018), we should probably help them be able to keep their business :-DD
Can't be that hard to compete with them. building a 300 mm fab is maybe 5 to 10 billion US$ investment, all you need couple of coins more.  :scared:

Online Alex Eisenhut

• Super Contributor
  • Place text here.
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2020, 11:49:46 am »

Can't be that hard to compete with them. building a 300 mm fab is maybe 5 to 10 billion US$ investment, all you need couple of coins more.  :scared:

Let me look under my couch, there's always a few coins there. I also haven't returned deposit bottles in a while.
Hoarder of 8-bit Commodore relics and 1960s Tektronix 500-series stuff. Unconventional interior decorator.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2020, 11:57:24 am »
and how do you want to control those ? you are going to need a flash controller that can do the command queueing and wear leveling. That's not chicken shit to design ! and then there is the cache required.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2020, 12:13:19 pm »
and how do you want to control those ? you are going to need a flash controller that can do the command queueing and wear leveling. That's not chicken shit to design ! and then there is the cache required.
So, how are you going to implement things like wear levelling without a custom controller chip to do it for you? That is going to involve a LOT more work. Remember that most modern high density flash can't hold data unless its powered up from time to time to allow that complex controller chip to do its work.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf