Author Topic: Telecom 'rectifiers'  (Read 1650 times)

Online najraoTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Telecom 'rectifiers'
« on: February 08, 2018, 06:09:05 am »
Time was when I picked up anything with PWM from the surplus market here, and so I have loads of boards, assemblies and  modules, from milliwatts to several kW and 3.3V to 60 and over. From servers, mainframes, and -- telecom stations.
These last are 27V (older), or 54 the most. From 1 to 4kW each. The latest ones are very efficient (95+%)and compact (80×80×400 puts out 4kW), 90 to 300V 50/60Hz input, good for 65C air temperature, and made for over 100 000h MTBF. Meant for battery charging, control of a group of rectifiers is by dedicated master controllers,  not usually available to ordinary mortals. They are hot pluggable to backplanes (again not available) through custom sockets and plugs. Needless to say, they have very good PFC, so need a minimum of a.c. input current.
I *have* converted just one 2kW unit into a very good CV/CC bench supply. 0 to 58V, and 0 to 60A (power limited), with no hiccups and a dead on crossover from CV to CC. Needed extreme surgery to locate control nodes among the myriad surface mount ic's,  not an exercise to be repeated on others.
A major problem is the non availability of mating connectors for the PWRblade sockets. Making soldered wire-outs for up to 80A involves too much heat.
The 'control' pins, from just 8 up to 24, are another pain in the you-know-where. Similar to server PSU's, you need to identify PSON, PSKILL, SENSE, VMARGIN, I SHARE, and the ubiquitous Tx and Rx. Little or no data is forthcoming.
With only a few scrapped, I have restored more than a dozen of these. I want to put them to use, and request suggestions on what to. I have 3-phase 415V to feed up to 20A, and the usual 230V separately, at home here, so power is not a limitation. I was considering making a 200+A dc welding PS, from 3×3kW units. Is any help forthcoming? Much appreciated.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 08:48:57 am by najrao »

• Regular Contributor
Re: Telecom 'rectifiers'
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 12:34:11 pm »
 Come on, surely my question deserves *some* response? So many wizards out there, say your piece! Thank you sir/s.
OP

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:17 pm »
No pictures or links, hardly suprising, actually what was the question :)
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:03:22 pm by fourtytwo42 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:21:52 am »
I considered that pictures would not add value, but attach a few now, these are just examples. There are many more models and ratings, several of each in cases.
I did ask for suggestions: 1. Can I make a dc welding source from 3×3kW units? Need hand-holding to do this. 2. How to make high current connections to (the) PWRblade output sockets. 3.How to identify control pin-outs. Perhaps I should have been more explicit.
To let know that I may have the competence to take up such project, I did say that I have already converted a 2kW unit to a CV/CC variable PS.
One and all, please help!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf