Author Topic: Active bandpass filter - unwanted oscillations ( noise)  (Read 199 times)

Offline electronxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Active bandpass filter - unwanted oscillations ( noise)
« on: Yesterday at 11:55:14 am »
I designed a bandpass filter with a cut-off frequency of 0.1hz and 110khz when I applied a 1khz -20khz sine wave to the input of my band pass filter, I saw oscillations (ringing) at the zero cross points.

(It is obvious that there is a higher frequency harmonic here)

When I do an fft analysis, I see oscillations between 4-5 MHz. Around -40dbV, at a level of approximately 8-10mV.I think one of the filters is producing an oscillation. (I tried with different power supplies. The noise is not coming from the power supply.)What is the solution to this or what is the point I missed? capacitance value selection?
When I did AC sweep in Spice simulations and observe in frequency domain  there was no problem, everything was perfect.
maybe capacitance value selection, resistance value selection, pcb design, factors that I cannot foresee or other factors that I do not know theoretically

first High pass filter (opa192)
order Active High Pass Filter Topology: Sallen-Key Stage Gain:1 Cutoff Frequency:0.1Hz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
lowpass pass filter THP210
Multiple-Feedback Topology 2. order Active Low Pass Filter (Gain:1) fully differential Output Cutoff Frequency:110KHz
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:13:53 pm by electronx »

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Active bandpass filter - unwanted oscillations ( noise)
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:09:15 pm »
It is good to see someone exploring, questioning, thinking and asking questions.

Show a photo of your implementation's construction and your measurement technique. Implementations sometimes diverge significantly from the textbook behaviour and from simulated behaviour.

For a simple circuit illustrating one gross and one subtle divergence, see https://entertaininghacks.wordpress.com/2024/03/16/practical-traps-with-a-one-transistor-audio-amplifier-solderless-breadboards-and-oscilloscopes/ That example also uses an Analog Discovery.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

The following users thanked this post: electronx

Online moffy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 12:09:58 pm »
First suspect is R11 introducing some unwanted delay, try reducing it or eliminating it. Second output stage oscillation through the transition region, try a resistive load and or a Sobel network, basically an RC snubber to dampen the output oscillation.

Offline electronxTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 12:25:09 pm »
The r11 resistor is used to limit the current entering the power rails with schottky clamp (input protection) diodes. (yes, there is no clamp diode here, but it is not placed on the pcb). I will check the factors that cause delay in the filter response.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 01:14:43 pm by electronx »

Offline Wolfram

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:36:23 pm »
Ferrite beads and ceramic caps on the supply rails can form an underdamped resonator. It could be worth to rule this out as a cause by measuring the supply rails together with the output signal, and ideally add some damping or remove the ferrite beads in any case.

Online Sensorcat

• Regular Contributor
  • Freelance Sensor Consultant
    • Sensorberatung
« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:41:00 pm »
In general, it is useful to look at signals between the blocks whenever you want to debug something with functional blocks connected. Since your filter has two chained blocks, you can look at Vmid. Is the oscillation present there? Yes, problem with 1st block, no, 2nd block. If you're unlucky, the problem is somewhat distributed between the blocks, which means you have to ask which common cause can interfere with both blocks.

Online Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 10:05:22 pm »
I can't read the schemayic text (too small), but are those amps unity-gain stable?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf