Author Topic: [SOLVED] How to provide multiple ranges for current monitoring...  (Read 1584 times)

Offline prasimixTopic starter

• Supporter
    • EEZ
I'm opening a new topic with a question started here and apologize if such duplication makes any trouble to anyone (and hope that Kleinstein, Strada916, Kean and others will follows up ;)). Just in short: I'd like to introduce multiple ranges (two for the beginning will be just fine: 0-500 mA and 0-5 A) for current monitoring that can be used in power supply for control loop and measurement.
It started with an idea that each shunt has it's own low Rds(on) mosfet in a series as to switch from one range to another in a "make-before-break" fashion. Mosfets will be highly saturated to provide the lowest specified Rds(on) and yes, that mean that Rds(on) has to be added into account for measurement. That should be a problem if calibration is accomplished and that Rds(on) doesn't vary a lot with current and temperature. I don't talk here about "reference instrument" that has to be very accurate, but rather something that can be used in DIYers/hobbyist bench top.

Many thanks in advance for your timely response.

« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:24:32 am by prasimix »

Online jaromir

• Supporter
Re: How to provide multiple ranges for current monitoring...
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 09:15:56 am »
Perhaps you can find some answers in one of Dave's videos

especially in the second half of the video, but watching it all can't hurt.

The following users thanked this post: prasimix

Offline eblc1388

• Frequent Contributor
Re: [SOLVED] How to provide multiple ranges for current monitoring...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 11:05:40 am »
Place the two shunts in series, and use just one MOSFET to "bypass" the higher resistance one when changing to 0~5A range.

Obviously you have to also switch the voltage drop across the range but with just three wires going to the shunts, you'll need to switch between two wires only, while the remaining one being the common which needs no switching.

Note: the Rds of the MOSFET does not contribute to any of the shunt voltage drop
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:08:51 am by eblc1388 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf