Author Topic: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball  (Read 63878 times)

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
Re: Challenge Thread: The fastest breadboard oscillator on the mudball
« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2020, 08:03:47 pm »
...enough to get a stable reading on the 5350B microwave counter.

I'd say that is a valid entry!

I feel pretty good about it too, so I'm going to say that I've broken 1GHz now.  8)

The following users thanked this post: mnementh

Offline BreakingOhmsLawTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • Certified solder fume addict
« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2020, 08:06:22 pm »
oculus, give that whole circuit a good blast with cold spray and post results please. ;-)

EDIT: take care not to feed DC into the counter once the condensation kicks in.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:08:54 pm by BreakingOhmsLaw »

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2020, 08:21:08 pm »
oculus, give that whole circuit a good blast with cold spray and post results please. ;-)

EDIT: take care not to feed DC into the counter once the condensation kicks in.

Yeah, I've got dc blocks and am not connecting anything directly to the circuit. All it did was make the frequency vary wildly, and the current draw went negative on the milliammeter I'm monitoring with for a bit (!).  :o It has been slowly converging back on the state shown above as it warms back up.

What is the purpose of this?

[edit] There's an intermittent problem with the milliammeter...sigh...repair queue time...
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 08:25:40 pm by 0culus »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2020, 09:05:01 pm »
What is the purpose of this?
You will find that cooling down the FET can give you a frequency boost of up to 25%.
Reducing the temperature will increase the mobility of the charge carriers in the channel of the FET because they get less flak from the other atoms they are passing through.
An analogy: it's easier to run through a crowd when everybody isn't moving. Cooling down the FET lowers thermal noise and atom movement.
The reason why your circuit starts to go fubar is probably the water messing with the parasitics. If you can, just cool the FET ( rig a little cone made from kapton for example).

Edit: before anyone gets triggered, yes, it's quantum mechanics, Boltzmann and Planck at work. Not going to open a can of quantum mechanics here though. :-o
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 09:10:51 pm by BreakingOhmsLaw »

The following users thanked this post: SilverSolder, mnementh

Offline hendorog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2020, 09:26:23 pm »
Oklay...  :wtf: just happened here...?

I generally tend to agree with Oculus' surmise; ogden has been nit-pick trolling the thread pretty hard, and unless joe is outright lying, he has a history of thread-stalking joe.

Joe's response, while it may have been viscerally cathartic, was def a bit OTT for a public space; it should've been toned down or if the venting was necessary, taken to PM.  ::)

But seriously... this is a pretty obvious case of personality-clash oscillation.

Ogden has an established track record as a troll in multiple threads. So no, this is not a personality clash.

He or she prefers the argument over the engineering. Shoulda been a lawyer I guess.

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith, InductorbackEMF

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
  • *Hiding in the Dwagon-Cave*
« Reply #255 on: June 21, 2020, 11:41:11 pm »
Please don't quote part of my statement out of context and try to counter it as if the rest doesn't matter. I know EXACTLY what is happening here, I described it in precise detail, and in case you didn't realize, I was saying that BOTH parties needed a time-out, not just joe. If you're suggesting that only ogden needed that, then you're the one practicing law in the wrong bailiwick.

I generally tend to agree with Oculus' surmise; ogden has been nit-pick trolling the thread pretty hard, and unless joe is outright lying, he has a history of thread-stalking joe.

Joe's response, while it may have been viscerally cathartic, was def a bit OTT for a public space; it should've been toned down or if the venting was necessary, taken to PM.  ::)

But seriously... this is a pretty obvious case of personality-clash oscillation. This is hardly new territory; we've been dealing with this kind of passive-aggressive back & forth since the days of UseNet and the solution is pretty well-established: BOTH parties are responsible. Not JUST the troll, and not just the one(s) feeding the troll. Either both/all or none should be given a time-out.  That is why we call it a time-out: Not a punishment, but forcing all parties to step back and consider their contribution to the NOISE part of the SNR.

All your post above serves is to stir that shit back up again when it has been resolved as well as it's going to be until the parties involved return to this space, and either start it all over again or kiss and make up.  :-DD

Please, for the sake of those who are here to learn something, let this rest for the duration of the time-out. You're just contributing to the above-mentioned NOISE part of the SNR. And so am I, so I'd really rather not be dragged into another such debate in this technically-oriented space.

Cheers,

mnem
Anybody got any peanuts...?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 11:45:09 pm by mnementh »
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #256 on: June 22, 2020, 12:01:28 am »
In Joe's defense, he has been documenting with videos up until about a week ago...another video featuring the new circuit and demonstrating its construction in detail would be great IMO. But yeah, he has been a bit coy and I think one should definitely at a minimum provide high quality photos and tell us exactly what parts you're using, as I have tried to do with each "thing" I've attempted. There's no reason to hide anything about your circuit here unless you are, in fact, cheating the system outside of the spirit of gentlemanly competition. I say this because I support creative RF design as long as the breadboard is intimately involved. Otherwise I could build my circuits Manhattan style. :-DD

Yeah, that's where I was going with my comment; his photos and video show enough to titillate, but either not enough clarity or not the whole picture all at once. I get that he may be playing coy so as to not "spoon-feed" us the answers. I'm down with that to a point. But his documentation definitely skirts the realm of sleight-of-hand.  ;)

It seems to me that the entire point of this thread is in a way to do precisely that: maybe not to spoon-feed it to us, but at least to get those who are strong with the μwave voodoo to help us break down this black magic region of electronics into small, digestible chunks so we mere mortals CAN grok in fullness.  :-//

mnem
 :popcorn:
alt-codes work here:  alt-0128 = €  alt-156 = £  alt-0216 = Ø  alt-225 = ß  alt-230 = µ  alt-234 = Ω  alt-236 = ∞  alt-248 = °

The following users thanked this post: joseph nicholas

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: June 22, 2020, 01:35:36 am »
In any case, I'm putting this project aside till I get some faster parts and some magnet wire in hand. I am now shifting to troubleshooting the Tek 585A I just got...

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #258 on: June 22, 2020, 10:56:29 am »
Dipping my toe in the 1GHz+ club.  No vacuum tubes here, just a good old fashioned 2N5179.

Transistor pins, left to right, are E, B, C (case is the 4th pin, N/C).

Ignore the squiggly wire on the top left, it's out of circuit (should've taken it out of frame..).  Power comes in from the left (blue, black), 8V.  H-field probe laid over the circuit goes to spec; solder roll used as weight to hold it there.  4.7k and clip leads are just for voltmeter.

Harder to see from this angle is the resonant stub, about 50mm of twisted pair coming straight up from the board.  It's very nearly end-on in this view.  Plugged into B-C positions.

A molded choke supplies collector voltage, and 10k pullup and 3.3k pulldown supplies base bias.  1k supplies emitter bias, so it runs at about 1.4mA and 7V in total.

No idea what the signal strength is; I shall merely assert that it would be sufficient, given an adequate coupling network.  The H-probe is a qualitative measure, after all.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #259 on: June 22, 2020, 11:21:35 am »
Dipping my toe in the 1GHz+ club. [...]
Great job!
Love the ghetto H-probe  8)
Try cooling the tranny with cold spray for turbo boost (see above).

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #260 on: June 22, 2020, 07:45:49 pm »
...and tell us exactly what parts you're using...

Fair enough, here's what I used: http://www.cel.com/pdf/datasheets/ne3210s1.pdf

NEC's NE3210S01 is a pseudomorphic Hetero-Junction FET that uses the junction between Si-doped AIGaAs and undoped InGaAs  to  create  very  high  mobility  electrons.    The  device features  mushroom  shaped  TiAl  gates  for  decreased  gate resistance  and  improved  power  handling.

whisper that text to a 68'is hippie, a goa-head or a modern psytrance kid, and he will instantly buy that little pill shaped thing :)

The following users thanked this post: pardo-bsso, KE5FX

Online KE5FX

• Super Contributor
    • KE5FX.COM
« Reply #261 on: June 22, 2020, 10:17:01 pm »

NEC's NE3210S01 is a pseudomorphic Hetero-Junction FET that uses the junction between Si-doped AIGaAs and undoped InGaAs  to  create  very  high  mobility  electrons.    The  device features  mushroom  shaped  TiAl  gates  for  decreased  gate resistance  and  improved  power  handling.

whisper that text to a 68'is hippie, a goa-head or a modern psytrance kid, and he will instantly buy that little pill shaped thing :)

They had me at the Infected Mushroom gates...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #262 on: June 23, 2020, 03:03:57 pm »
You know what is really overrated in electronics these days? Components. Who really needs them?
All you need for 300MHz is a transistor.

The following users thanked this post: herc

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: June 23, 2020, 03:24:21 pm »

LOL that's minimalist!  :D

The following users thanked this post: herc

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: June 23, 2020, 03:59:31 pm »
I bet that would not work without the breadboard though :)
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #265 on: June 23, 2020, 04:06:18 pm »
I'd noticed a simillar thing happening with just a BJT and two resistor (base to VCC and collector to VCC).
At the emitter you could see an oscillation of decent quality (depending on VCC) at about 137 MHz
I didn't submit it because i thought it was just picking up some RF, altough the frequency and shape was unaffected by my hand

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #266 on: June 23, 2020, 04:20:27 pm »
I bet that would not work without the breadboard though :)
Absolutely. It is running entirely on the parasitics   :-DD

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #267 on: June 23, 2020, 05:06:05 pm »
I did the same here but I needed a resistor not to cook the fet. (It died anyway half an hour later...)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/challenge-thread-the-fastest-breadboard-oscillator-on-the-mudball/msg3100288/#msg3100288

Offline mnementh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: June 23, 2020, 06:18:58 pm »
I bet BΩL is powering it with a CV/CC power supply set quite conservatively.  >:D   BTW... I REALLY like his documentary photography. I don't even need my glasses to see what he's doing.  :clap:

mnem
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 06:23:17 pm by mnementh »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #269 on: June 23, 2020, 07:17:46 pm »
I bet BΩL is powering it with a CV/CC power supply set quite conservatively.  >:D   BTW... I REALLY like his documentary photography. I don't even need my glasses to see what he's doing.  :clap:

mnem
You bet correctly. 1,45V 38mA.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #270 on: June 25, 2020, 02:55:55 pm »
It was suggested to me that I join this competition with a ring-oscillator based contraption of mine, which I quickly reproduced on a breadboard.

So, let's have a look at my entry:

(Attachment Link)

As you can maybe make out, it is a three stage ring oscillator based on 2N3904 (chinese off-brand) and 390 Ohm load resistors. As a specialty, the output of each inverter (collector) is connected to the input of the next inverter (base) with an LED. So what can it do?

(Attachment Link)

When we apply 10V of bias to it, the LEDs will light up and it oscillates at a frequency of 35 MHz. As you can see, this design also follows the rule of a full 5V swing. The frequency suggests a tpd of 4.8 ns for each inverter, which is already "interesting", if you look up the storage time of a 2N3904 in the datasheet. Btw, with red LEDs this goes up to 55MHz, corresponding to 3ns. The same design is much faster on a PCB, so the parasitics of the breadboard take their toll.

Ok, but maybe that is not the most interesting part of this oscillator. Let's have a look at some X-Y plots where X is the input of one inverter and Y is at the output:

(Attachment Link)

At 10V we see a somewhat circular output, which suggests that the phase delay of this inverter is constant - as expected for a proper oscillator. However at 11.8 V we can suddenly see a convoluted path that almost looks random, but is clearly repeating - a limit cycle? Changing voltages further can transition from noise to different structured trajectory.

It looks like this simple circuit is acting as a chaotic oscillator. I though that was quite neat. You can find a longer write up here: https://hackaday.io/project/170697-evaluating-transistors-for-bipolar-logic-rtl/log/179154-using-a-led-as-base-resistor-chaotic-ring-oscillator.

Congrats getting featured on HaD :) https://hackaday.com/2020/06/23/chaotic-oscillator-from-antique/

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Online PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #271 on: June 25, 2020, 06:11:38 pm »
It looks like this simple circuit is acting as a chaotic oscillator. I though that was quite neat.

That is total chaos! I built the circuit with 3 x BC547c and wow! I have to raise the supply from 4V to about 4.8V before the world turns crazy but then the reward is big.
Also checked on the SA, there the baseline just rises well up to 200MHz.

1009938-0

1009942-1

1009946-2

1009950-3

The following users thanked this post: tim_

Offline herc

• Contributor

Offline SilverSolder

• Super Contributor
« Reply #273 on: June 25, 2020, 10:31:47 pm »
another neat oscillator:

http://www.totalitaer.de/Rftechnik/mikrowellensender2.htm

(Attachment Link)

That's funny, I was just thinking if a multivibrator type circuit could be made to work at RF frequencies...   Looks like the answer is "Yes"! :)

Offline herc

• Contributor
« Reply #274 on: June 26, 2020, 06:02:07 am »
yes, interesting, isnt it ?

and by intuition i guess that this oscillator - though it needs more parts - has a much higher output power than the single transistor designs. what do you think ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf