Author Topic: Adding GPRS/GSM & GPS to a product  (Read 5453 times)

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • Test instrument designer/G1YWC
    • Electron Plus
Adding GPRS/GSM & GPS to a product
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:26:05 pm »
A client wants to add remote reporting and GPS to a large product I designed.  It is to have the following features.

1. Ability to send a short message when powered up to a central location (SMS?).
2. Ability to upload a log file (probably 10Kbytes) to remote location (e.g. end up with a TXT or CSV on a server somewhere).
3. Ability to dial-up the product and send it a message (such as shutdown, report location, report other data), do this via SMS?

I've got a micro-controller in the product that has serial comms port available, and I've also got some other I/O available if necessary.  Power is not a problem.

My question is... I can probably achieve most of this via an SMS message, but the log file thing seems complex to me.

Any recommendations for a suitable modern module & supplier (will need a few hundred pieces), any service out-there or possibly license free applications that can do this and also any experience doing something similar??
https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline Marco

• Super Contributor
Re: Adding GPRS/GSM & GPS to a product
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 06:13:24 pm »
No recommendation ... but a google search for M2M open source has quite a few hits, doubt you will find anything "license free" (ie. public domain) but the first hit is MIT licensed, which should suffice.

PS. M2M is the relevant buzzword for this sort of stuff.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2014, 06:15:05 pm by Marco »

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 06:44:37 pm »
Hi Marco,  M2M, yup know the terminology, the problem isn't so much the module (there are plenty), it's getting a solid recommend on one.  The bigger issue seems to be the bit-in-the-middle (server etc..)

https://electron.plus Power Analysers, VI Signature Testers, Voltage References, Picoammeters, Curve Tracers.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 06:59:35 pm »
You can indeed use SMS and MMS (approx 300kB size).
Or you can use gprs.

Two choices with that.
- Have the device dial-in every x minutes, easy, you just need a server to call to. No size limitations and it's deterministic and flexible. (SMS can get delayed a lot) Plus you'll get the option to ask for a long term support server contract. $$
- Have the device listen, difficult, most networks don't support this since they use NAT, you need special expensive contracts from ISP's :-- giving you an internet ip instead of intranet ip. Also keeping a session alive forever is not appreciated by ISP's. But you don't need a server.
Looking at reliability, you should find some PLC supporting gprs modems from a good vendor. And read the manual before, you must be able to configure it by rs232 or usb. I think those SMS configurable things are awful.

Die hard method: encode your data to sound and use a voice line, most realtime and most reliable since calling is was the main goal of the network.

Offline markus.dnd

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:13:49 pm »
I suggest using a GPRS to server and some sort of data plan. Doing that is rather easy, just needs the set of AT commands and you are good to go.  Simplest way is to have some central server handle the comms and then just shoot the data there via UDP or whatever you need for security reasons etc.

all you need is gprs modem and some server. Server part is probably the easiest.

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 07:58:44 pm »
http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/GPRS-Shield-p-779.html?cPath=73

ignore the fact that it's an Arduino shield, but do google the chip they use. I used that one to implement a system that opens a door when I send an sms from a certain caller ID.

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 08:58:48 pm »
It needed 1.3A peak instead of the usual 2.0A that most modems require.
Shouldn't be a problem, I've got 32A 415V 3PH going into the product.

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 09:02:08 pm »
Thanks all for the comments so far.

I quite like the idea of using bi-directional SMS, as I think it will do nearly everything with the exception of getting the 'large' amount of data back from the unit.  This MMS sounds interesting though - I guess that's the same system in-play when you 'TEXT' a picture to someone?

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2014, 09:44:23 am »
OP: Where are you located?
Others and myself may be interested in helping you out - maybe at a price.
At least one other posted has done all these functions before - bidirectional SMS, email, web interface etc
I have leftover modems and other parts sitting in my drawers!
Cheers
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Offline grego

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2014, 12:22:17 pm »
Just keep in mind that all the 2G technologies for wireless are being sunsetted here in the US over the next few years.  AT&T for example will be shitting down the GPRS and EDGE networks on Jan 1, 2017. Sure that's almost 2.5 years from now but I see a lot of folks starting with 2G products now.

You're better off just going with UMTS out of the gate at least.  If not LTE.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 04:35:43 am by grego »

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2014, 01:20:51 pm »
Looked at these? http://wm.sim.com/wirellessen.aspx?id=1090

If you want something with 3G (they cost quite a bit more): http://wm.sim.com/producten.aspx?id=1026

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 07:07:07 pm »
OP: Where are you located?
Others and myself may be interested in helping you out - maybe at a price.
At least one other posted has done all these functions before - bidirectional SMS, email, web interface etc
I have leftover modems and other parts sitting in my drawers!
Cheers
UK (see the flag on my profile).
Thanks for the offer - the end users are quite sensitive about 3rd parties.

Offline Slothie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2014, 07:54:14 pm »
I've been using SIMCOM chips for a while now. The SIM900 chips used in a lot of products are well documented (which is pretty much the criteria to use when choosing, because the docs on many are atrocious).

I've just got MMS working on a SIM900 (with some help from the guys on here - check my thread!)

The problem with the SIM900 is that it is pretty much on its way out, it doesnt do 3G at all so wont work on some networks ("3" in the UK, for instance). SIMCOM are replacing it with the smaller SIM800 & the SIM5310 (The latter is guenuinely 3G and there is a variant with GPS too). I've used a 5310 and its possible to set it up on stripboard to get it working if ypu don't mind a bit of fine soldering. Not many of the pins actually need connecting.

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2014, 08:38:19 pm »
Thanks Slothie.

SIM900 looks like an interesting module and uses ACAL & EBV as UK distributors (I can't use ebay as a supplier!).

Offline Slothie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2014, 10:18:01 am »
Thanks Slothie.

SIM900 looks like an interesting module and uses ACAL & EBV as UK distributors (I can't use ebay as a supplier!).

Dont forget the SIM 900 is getting to the end of its production life. Not a problem if your making one or two devices, but if your designiing something that might go into production you might find them scarce when you get to that point.

We've found EBV to be very helpful with advice & getting modules for prototypes. There not as cheap as the chinese suppliers but have the ear of SIMCOM if you're having problems. Mind you it helps that the Rep lives a couple of miles away so he's keen to come and see us as his last call of the day :)

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2014, 01:20:30 pm »
Thanks Slothie.

Did you even read my post :D ?

Anyway, if product lifetime is a concern, there are similar integrated solutions from other manufacturers (Motorola, Ericsson etc) and just because the personal communications sector stops using GSM does not mean that all the vending machines out there do the same.

Offline fcbTopic starter

• Super Contributor
    • Electron Plus
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2014, 02:39:58 pm »
Thanks Slothie.

Did you even read my post :D ?

Anyway, if product lifetime is a concern, there are similar integrated solutions from other manufacturers (Motorola, Ericsson etc) and just because the personal communications sector stops using GSM does not mean that all the vending machines out there do the same.
Yes. But I prefer Slothie's  >:D

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf