Author Topic: 802.3bt - High power ( 90W ) Power over ethernet standard. Cable protection  (Read 1448 times)

Offline mrpacketheadTopic starter

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Hey folks, I'm very curiously following development of the high power POE systems.    90W over a hunk of UTP is a wonderfully useful solution for all sorts of things.  I've been having a discusison with the folks at TI about how they achieve protection across four pairs of cable.     

there is only current sence in two of the four pairs, and two of the pairs are run in parrallel, yet they seem to claim that the circuit is protected.    What have i missed.

In this picture they say that both cables are protected. because it all flows via the two FETS ( the diagram does not show the currnet sence but it is there, its simplified )

I have posed this situation where one pair is broken.   and suggest there is no way for the system to know there is a broken pair based on cable currents alone.

Heres the link to the TI forum, for some context.

https://e2e.ti.com/support/power_management/power_interface/f/204/t/666870#pi320098=2

Am i missing somethign.
On a quest to find increasingly complicated ways to blink things

Offline jbb

• Super Contributor
Seems like a reasonable question.

Possibly the answer is 'oops,' or maybe 'the expected temperature rise from overload has been determined to present an acceptable fire risk.'

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Seems like a reasonable question.

Possibly the answer is 'oops,' or maybe 'the expected temperature rise from overload has been determined to present an acceptable fire risk.'

1.8A through a 23 AWG cable is pushing your luck.   

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Probably it has the same answer to this question, as all Ethernet layer 0 related problems. No way to detect it, no way to avoid it, and it will just not work. I think you also broke a complete pair, not just 1 cable.

• Super Contributor
  • D Size Cell
Probably it has the same answer to this question, as all Ethernet layer 0 related problems. No way to detect it, no way to avoid it, and it will just not work. I think you also broke a complete pair, not just 1 cable.

one wire or one pair broken you still are pushign current down a path that has not enough copper.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design

one wire or one pair broken you still are pushign current down a path that has not enough copper.
CAT5 is rated to 0.6A.
3x54Vx0.6A = 97W

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
If one pair if broken, then one current sense will indicate high current and one will indicate low current which can be considered a fault.  On the hardware side, a window comparator could detect the current imbalance to indicate a fault.

The following users thanked this post: Eka

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf