Author Topic: 3.5mm TRS audio jack with integrated mini TOSLINK optical receiver  (Read 192 times)

Offline SparkyTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Hello enthusiasts!

I'm trying to identify a 3.5mm TRS (stereo) audio jack that also accepts mini TOSLINK plugs. Its a receptacle that combines analog and digital audio inputs -- obviously only one at a time.

See photos attached of an actual part. I've been unable to identify a part number :(

Observations:
- The black section appears to be a standard 3.5mm TRS audio jack. I believe there is an integrated switch so the accompanying circuit can distinguish between a mini TOSLINK plug or standard analog plug.
- The pink section is the optical receiver (not transmitter). It apperas to be an optional "clip on" to the main body of the receptacle so that the analog jack can be used by itself, or with the optical receiver (factory fitted option probably).

Something similar I've found on DigiKey is a stereo jack with LED built in.

Instead of light emitting diode there must be the version with a photodiode instead.

Is anyone familiar with the part attached or could help identify?

Thank you! Have a great week!

Online wasedadoc

• Super Contributor
Such sockets were quite common on higher end portable MiniDisc recorders.

• Frequent Contributor
Such sockets were quite common on higher end portable MiniDisc recorders.

Interesting -- I did not know that. This device is much more recent (2018), and I'm aware that some computers used the combined analog/digital output. There are many cables that convert the normal size TOSLINK to mini TOSLINK, e.g. from Monoprice where they write:
Many laptop and small computers, including the Apple MacBook® and Mac® mini, feature a combination 3.5mm TRS stereo audio and S/PDIF Digital Optical Audio output port. This port can accept a standard 3.5mm headphone plug or a Mini Toslink plug.

Mini TOSLINK adapters and cables seem readily available, but I cannot find any manufactuer of the jack  :-//

Offline Niklas

• Frequent Contributor
The pinout is not a 100% match, but Cliff has both a transmitter and a receiver in similar packages.
https://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/optical/opticaljacks.htm

The following users thanked this post: Sparky

• Frequent Contributor
The pinout is not a 100% match, but Cliff has both a transmitter and a receiver in similar packages.
https://www.cliffuk.co.uk/products/optical/opticaljacks.htm

Amazing! Thank you! The "ORJ-4 Single optical receiver jack. Low profile, right-angle PCB mount." seems like just the thing I'm looking for!

Hopefully from this I can find alternative options. I don't mind the pin out/package is not a 100% match as I'm designing from scratch.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf