Author Topic: EEVBLOG videos had better add english subtitle  (Read 17989 times)

Offline aykut54Topic starter

EEVBLOG videos had better add english subtitle
« on: April 03, 2012, 02:44:56 pm »
Hi everyone:)

This site is usefull for us. I want something so as to EEVBLOG for future and for you:)

Dear Dave,

how if add EEVBLOG videos english subtitle?

thanks  in advance,

yours sincerely,

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
Re: EEVBLOG videos had better add english subtitle
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 04:48:53 pm »
I can hear his voice clearly .
If he were to add subtitles , it would just flash by too fast .
Aussies speak fast .

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 06:46:55 pm »
Youtube has a close caption feature, if the video maker don't make their own it can use speech-to-text to make a best effort to print it out.  Its good enough; just take some of the translation phonetically since it gets confused with technical jargon and some accents.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 06:52:02 pm »
I need subtitles for watching TV since I'm hard of hearing but I have no problem following Dave - only when some of his guests don't have a microphone on them.

I once tried to subtitle a clip lasting about 5 minutes of continual talking, it took me 2 hours to transcribe and put the phrases in the right places and I gave up before I got to the end! Thumbs up to those who create TV subtitles!
You can do anything with the right attitude and a hammer.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 10:43:23 pm »
Yeah, adding subtitles is a massive undertaking.

I just don't see it being a good use of his time.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 10:46:28 pm »
Youtube has a close caption feature, if the video maker don't make their own it can use speech-to-text to make a best effort to print it out.  Its good enough; just take some of the translation phonetically since it gets confused with technical jargon and some accents.

An American based codec translating an Australian accent into English should be hilarious :)

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 11:06:41 pm »
Yeah, adding subtitles is a massive undertaking.
I just don't see it being a good use of his time.

Yes, it is a massive undertaking, so it's not going to happen I'm afraid.
Same thing with other language subtitles.

Dave.

Uncle Vernon

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 11:09:00 pm »
Aussies speak fast .
You've never been to Western Queensland then!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 11:17:21 pm »
Aussies speak fast .

Not THAT fast , i have never slowed down on catching any speed of speaking english .

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 05:33:58 am »
Aussies speak fast .

They speak both Softly & Slooowly there! ;D

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 12:32:51 pm »
An American based codec translating an Australian accent into English should be hilarious :)
Did that once - it looked like a very bad news night!

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 07:06:21 pm »
American english is strange. Only country where the news networks use subtitles on news clips, even if the original is in English, but non US speaker.

Wonder how they would deal with the Babel that is South Africa. 11 official languages.........

Offline Write_to_Smokegenerator

• Regular Contributor
  • enthused hobbyist
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 07:00:20 am »
I don't have a problem with the English from an Australian, American or British
But I personally think subtitles are very bad for non native speakers, because every time you just automatically read the subtitle.
I know that feeling really well, when I first started viewing English video's with subtitles I couldn't concentrate on the content I simply concentrate on the text.
Also the amount of work for subtitles is just not worth it.

cheers.
Wondering about my Username have a look at:
http://www.finkewitz.de/uwe/witze/ANSIASM.txt

Offline caroper

• Regular Contributor
    • Take your PIC
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:55 am »
Wonder how they would deal with the Babel that is South Africa. 11 official languages.........
Ja well no fine :)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »
Its required by US law; otherwise deaf people can't watch TV.  Its not just news, its everything broadcasted in the US including foreign news spoken in English such as Deustsch Welt, NHK from Japan.

American english is strange. Only country where the news networks use subtitles on news clips, even if the original is in English, but non US speaker.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2013, 12:06:19 pm »
To my surprise when I watched the Mailbag video no 443 I found that someone called "Sen" has subtitled that clip! I couldn't find that name on this forum and a YouTube search came up with at least 4 million results!

Well done to that guy "sen" for creating the closed captions for that particular clip.

Offline sen

• Hackstrich
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 05:30:05 pm »
I'm not a guy, but I'm glad someone found them useful! ;)
I'm working on captioning them all from this point on, if you look at the last bunch they're now captioned (437, 439, 441-445).
I can't promise captions will always be up right after the video goes up, depends how long it is and how much free time I have at any given time. Takes me about 3-4x the length of the video to get it all captioned and reviewed and edited.

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:53 am »
Sorry, sen, for making the wrong assumption about you being a guy!  :) It's a big undertaking for you to subtitle them all - may I suggest focusing on the tutorial clips first?

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't actually need subtitles for Dave's videos as he speaks very clearly and also takes the trouble to get the audio right. But I couldn't share EEVblog with my deaf friends who may not hear Dave clearly despite having optimally adjusted hearing aids or cochlear implants ( they don't restore hearing ) as it would just frustrate them. In fact before I got my cochlear implant I would never have bothered with EEVblog at all. But after I started using my implant, I discovered EEVblog and found it extremely useful for helping me learn to hear with my implant ( called "auditory training" or "auditory habilitation" ) as it covers electronics, a subject that I am very interested in which is a good incentive to keep going with auditory training.

As for those who do not like or want subtitles, Youtube allows them to be turned off! My hearing father found foreign language TV programmes with English subtitles hard to follow at first as he had to watch the action and read the subs at the same time but he has become accustomed to it now that we are both fans of "Wallander","The Killing" and "Spiral"!

Offline ddavidebor

• Super Contributor
    • Smartbox AT
EEVBLOG videos had better add english subtitle
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2013, 11:42:37 am »
Why subtitles?

I think dave has the most understandable (this word exist?) english i've ever hear.
David - Professional Engineer - Medical Devices and Tablet Computers at Smartbox AT
Side businesses: Altium Industry Expert writer, http://fermium.ltd.uk (Scientific Equiment), http://chinesecleavers.co.uk (Cutlery),

Offline TheWelly888

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:57 am »
Why subtitles?

I think dave has the most understandable (this word exist?) english i've ever hear.
Deaf people need subtitles to watch TV and videos even if Dave speaks very clearly. You and I might not need subtitles right now but recently my implant processor broke down and I had to wait 4 days before I got a replacement processor - meanwhile I could not watch any EEVblog video at all!

Offline sen

• Hackstrich
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2013, 10:33:22 pm »
Sorry, sen, for making the wrong assumption about you being a guy!  :) It's a big undertaking for you to subtitle them all - may I suggest focusing on the tutorial clips first?

Well, I said I was going to caption them all from this point on. I may caption some of the "back catalog" of them, but there's probably >100 hours of content there, and at 3-4x the length of the video in captioning time, that's ~350h, more than a month of 8 hour days!
Given that there are a couple hours a week of new content, it's probably all I can do to keep up with existing ones. But your suggestion to focus on tutorials seems a good one, if/when I have time to do older ones.

Like I mentioned earlier in this thread, I don't actually need subtitles for Dave's videos as he speaks very clearly and also takes the trouble to get the audio right. But I couldn't share EEVblog with my deaf friends who may not hear Dave clearly despite having optimally adjusted hearing aids or cochlear implants ( they don't restore hearing ) as it would just frustrate them. In fact before I got my cochlear implant I would never have bothered with EEVblog at all. But after I started using my implant, I discovered EEVblog and found it extremely useful for helping me learn to hear with my implant ( called "auditory training" or "auditory habilitation" ) as it covers electronics, a subject that I am very interested in which is a good incentive to keep going with auditory training.

Aha, okay. I'm hard of hearing myself, which was my initial reason for wishing they were captioned! In a quiet room with my hearing aids and the software I use that plays short clips over and over again until I've got that little bit captioned, it's doable for me. The hardest part so far has been aussie expressions, as we don't use them here in Canada! Much googling for those to figure out what the heck Dave is saying :D

alm

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2013, 10:46:02 pm »
As long as there are not too many, people might be willing to help if you would post links to the exact time the expression occurs (right click -> copy video URL at current time). You could try posting a few before spending lots of time trying to figure it out, and see what kind of response you get. This seems like something that a native aussie without any hearing issues could solve in a few seconds per clip.

Online EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 10:53:11 pm »

WOW! this certainly is a red letter day!
I probably have more people turned off (and hate mail/comments) by my voice than any other Youtuber.

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:48 pm »

WOW! this certainly is a red letter day!
I probably have more people turned off (and hate mail/comments) by my voice than any other Youtuber.
ha!
I usually dont have problem understanding Dave's aussie english but Dave's voice can get annoying after watching many episodes non-stop  ::)

Subtitles  would be nice also if I don't want watch videos with headphones on my head.

Offline sen

• Hackstrich
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2013, 11:18:19 pm »
As long as there are not too many, people might be willing to help if you would post links to the exact time the expression occurs (right click -> copy video URL at current time). You could try posting a few before spending lots of time trying to figure it out, and see what kind of response you get. This seems like something that a native aussie without any hearing issues could solve in a few seconds per clip.

It's not a big deal, only takes me a minute or so to get them on google usually, I just hadn't realized how many expressions there are that are different until doing this! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf