Author Topic: Pic chip help.  (Read 1509 times)

Offline DavyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Pic chip help.
« on: June 30, 2024, 11:39:33 pm »
Have PIC3 programmer but can't get it to connect to the computer (Win 7), I get 'No programmer found' error.

Now it did work flawless in the past using PIC3 and 'PICPgm programmer' softwear programming a 16F628A, the LABX software was far too bulky, couldn't get my head round it for some reason.

I do seem to think it's missing the USB driver obviously this must be the reason it can't see the chip.... would someone be good enough to throw some light on this for me?

I've tried different configs in the 'drop down' hardwear window to no avail, I tried holding the power button down while powering PIC3 up and get a rapid flashing blue light, at switch on I just get the power and staus LED lit.

Thanks, Dave

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Pic chip help.
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2024, 12:39:08 am »
Install MPLAB 8.92.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2024, 08:35:37 am »
Thank you Postal2, I'll give it a try later, looks like an updated one to me, after all it was quite some time ago I used it.

Best wishes, Dave

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2024, 09:05:03 am »
I agree about 8.92.  I have run both ICD3 and PK3 in Win 7 Pro 32/64 with 8.92.  ICD3 worked fine until a couple of years ago and I let it update.  Big error.  It no longer recognized my chip (PIC16F1789) and gave an ID mismatch.  (Actual read ID was correct; "expected" was something crazy.)  It still worked with other chips like the 16F1829.  The problem was remedied by rolling back the .jam file.  I haven't checked recently, but old versions of MPLab were available on the Microchip site.  The version that worked with my ICD3 was from 11/30/12.  PK3 may be different.

So, if you go back to the latest 8.92 version and get  a funny problem, get some older versions of the .jam file and see if that fixes them    I change only the .jam file.

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2024, 11:40:34 am »
I use MPLAB X v3.55
I had the exact PICKIT 3 problem you're having with newer versions.

You can get it here on page 6.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2024, 12:56:00 pm »
Thank you all for the reply, I noted Mark about Pic version 3.55 comment and will  give that a try.

Well, I Pic Kit3 detected but with error 0033 with 8.92 version.... by the way this is an 'original Pic3' and not an El' cheapo copy, it did work yonks ago as decribed earlier.

I noted a error message in Postal2 attatchment.... I was stopping short there trying to rersolve the isssue so will try and continue further to see what happens..... but it didn't appear to be detecting the chip.

Play me have a play here and I'll report back. Dave.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2024, 01:08:15 pm »
I use MPLABX 6.00 under Win 7. After this they droppped Win7 support and some things like ICD5 don't work.
I think they dropped PICkit 3 support in MPLABX IPE 6.0, but MPLABX IDE still supports it.

I'm not sure there is much reason to continue with MPLAB 8.x apart from minor changes to exisiting projects - MPLABX has very useful stuff like syntax highlighting, auto-completion etc. which can be real time-savers
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline MarkF

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2024, 02:05:13 pm »
The actual detection of the PIC being programmed is a bit touch-and-go.

It seems like the PIC needs to be powered before plugging in the PICKit USB connector.
And some combination of whether MPLAB X is running before plugging in the PICKit.

I'm remembering something that it appears that the PICKit only looks for the PIC type one time upon being plugged in???

The order of PIC power, connecting PICKit, and when MPLAB X is running is still a bit of a mystery to me.
Also, the PICKit 3 barely has enough power for the PIC itself.  So if the PIC is in-circuit, you will need external power.  Also, the MPLAB X option to power the PIC by the PICKit is 'off' by default in the project.

Have a play around with the order of connecting/starting things.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2024, 02:32:43 pm »
I think they dropped PICkit 3 support in MPLABX IPE 6.0, but MPLABX IDE still supports it.

Nope, still using PK3 with 6.20.. we need that to program HCS, as programming HCS with 4th gen tools is as bit of hit and miss.
support was removed in 6.10, but there was enough whining from a pack of users that didn't bother reading release notes before updating  :-// so it was added again.
3rd gen tools support will be officially removed in 6.25 according to a news release

By the way, last week they released an extension pack for VS code which supposedly will replace MPLABX for good, we'll see. I couldn't make it work 100% yet, but it's something. AFAIK it supports 4th and 5th gen tools only.

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2024, 04:01:56 pm »
I noted a error message in Postal2 attatchment....
This error because power from Pickit is disabled in his properties. It is necessary when work with some sensitive pic (can be erased suddenly). Next I enable power in properties of Pickit and all become fine.

Well, I Pic Kit3 detected ....
Now you can restore it.

Offline bookaboo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2024, 02:20:48 pm »
May or may not be relevant but I always found Pickit and anything Microchip to be be best served by powered Hubs and good quality cables.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2024, 07:52:26 pm »
Righto, had no luck so I took fate into my own hands.

I rooted and tooted about and found I had a Quasarelectronics AS3150ZIF - USB PIC Programmer I forgot I had, so I'm about to give that a try, just downloaded the software in fact.

The Piccy Pic, is a Pic3 3.5 version.... scouring the internet folks not only had trouble with them and other softwear seems to be common place, I was about to get the Pic4 or 5 they too have as much problems, so I'm gonna stay clear of that. It seems be from the software itself. One guy tried repair a PIC3 his self and had no luck, changing this n' that..... sooo I got the ol hammer out.

Opened the case, the led's were all working and that but very little voltage on any of 'output' pins to the PIC, first I got the testmeter, the highest voltage I got was 1.25V on the +rail, I then got the scope out I stopped in aghast.....

now I ain't no digital expert but all I got on the pins was a damped oscillation and all of them - I'm darn sure that ain't right in any shape or form - I thought it was the scope's lead at first, do I stand in the dunces corner or what?

I then inspected as many components I could, fuse OK, diodes tested OK and the voltage reggy seems to be working as expected mind you I don't have the SirKit.... I then just give up.

Theres a choke in there going from a couple of heavy SMD diodes, I'm wondering if it's capacitor failure, the ringing gave me that impression.  Knew I should have stuck to Arduino family.

I don't fancy paying £80 or so for a Pic that's liable to conk out at any time without warning.

Dave
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 07:57:55 pm by Davy »

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2024, 08:10:42 pm »
... had no luck ....
Your pickit was detected by MPLAB 8.92. Next, you must start a new project and select the exact PIC you need to connect. And continue to work in this environment.

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2024, 08:59:08 pm »
Which version of the chip do your have?  If DIP, try a breadboard of the chip by its lonesome with short (6" or less) leads.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2024, 10:27:46 pm »
@Postal2

The PicKit version is Pic3/3.5 that is printed on the PCB board inside the case.... no, there was no communication between the Pickit and the chip - had the connections and IC connected right, I did try a new project, it wasn't seeing the chip.

Just this very minute I tried the Quaser Electronics board.... bingo it saw the chip, not programmed it yet, but have read the memory..... blank - just like me!

The MBLab 8.92 board it give me an error code 0033, can't remember exactly about 4 bytes sent and non received - I may have not mentioned even with Pickit 3 alone and no IC mounted I got only about 1.2 Volt's or so. The USB voltage doesn't go straight to the output, I reckon there might be a 'switching supply' in there.  Dave

Offline Postal2

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2024, 10:59:31 pm »
no, there was no communication between the Pickit and the chip ....
MPLAB 8.92 must upload correct application to Pickit before connection. Also MPLAB has possibility to flash main firmware to Pickit because "pickit programmer" is not supported by Microchip and has other firmware, not compatible with MPLAB.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2024, 11:30:44 pm by Postal2 »

Offline jpanhalt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2024, 11:35:02 pm »
Do you have this setting correct?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2024, 07:48:36 am »
Yep, spot on, I opened the case and checked on the voltage reg.  There was only about 1.2V DC on the  +v out to the socket... but it seems in one hell of a mess, I got the 'scope' out and I saw on big damped oscillation, it was the same on one or more pins.

Nothing burned up, no shorts could be found after checking, 'caps' looked OK.  I noted two hefty diode's in there going to a choke -  I imagined Oh it's a 'switching supply, the usual thing a couple of connected diodes, a choke and a couple of capactors I've come across in 'dc to dc' converters (switchers) in various equipment these day's.

In the PIC3 this arrangement came from a smd chip of many legs...... I thought sod it and just left it.

I did manage to find a Quasar electronic USB Pic programmer, I thougt I'd give that a whirl, did the software set up.... worked a treat with the very same chip I used on the PIC3 - done and dusted, if I get time I'll have another session of investigation on the PIC3.

I hold no hope because reading on the Web it's a very common problem.... even with the latest pic 4 and 5's which I was gonna' get until I found the Quaser one I forgot I had. I've read  too many reviews on  that  this saved me 70 quid or so, thanks to my forgetful mind also helped.

If I discover the reason with the Pic3 I'll get back here... so the PIC 16F628A programming is done and dusted.  Dave.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf