Author Topic: RIGOL DM3058E vs HP34401A  (Read 1203 times)

Offline octalTopic starter

• Contributor
RIGOL DM3058E vs HP34401A
« on: December 27, 2023, 12:19:27 am »
Hello,
I would like to buy a new high precision multimeter and I have been offered two meters (by two different sellers):
- a Rigol DM3058E  at 200€  (almost new)
- an HP34401A  (extremely clean and casing like new) at 270€

What do you advice me?
The Rigol precision is enough for my needs and even if I take the HP34401A I think I'll almost never need the 61/2 digits.
I'm a little bit confused: The Rigol has some nice modern features, but the HP has a great reputation at being reliable and repairable relatively easily.

What do you advice me?

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
Re: RIGOL DM3058E vs HP34401A
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2023, 12:51:26 am »
Is the 34401A branded as HP, or Agilent? If HP, is it the more recent architecture (red+black input jacks) or the old one (all red inputs)?

If it's an Agilent or more recent HP, and the VFD is nice and bright and even, I'd have to go with the 34401A. It's a classic and rock solid instrument and the additional cost is negligible even if you don't think you need 6.5 digits. Remember that with any of these high precision meters you basically have to discount the last digit. So with a 5.5 digit meter you're really getting 4.5 digits of useful measurement, and with a 6.5 digit you're getting 5.5 digits useable. Also, I've never cared for Rigol's DMMs.

Now if it's the oldest model HP, or if the other choice were, say, a Siglent SDM3055X (maybe?) or 3065X (almost definitely?), then I'd probably lean towards the other choice.

Disclaimer: I have both an Agilent 34401A and a Siglent SDM3065X. I love them both. :D

Offline djacobow

• Super Contributor
  • takin' it apart since the 70's
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2023, 01:11:41 am »
We have a lot of Rigol DM3058 and DM3068's at work that we use in a pool of test setups, accessed remotely. I have learned to really detest them, as they sometimes stop responding via USB and cannot be reset, or they do respond to USB but do not do the things they were asked, though they pretend to. This can happen after a day, a week, a month. It has gotten to the point where we have had to put all the units on an IP power switch so that we can hard-reboot them remotely. Ugh.

I have a personal SDM3055 which I find is really great. Works fine, I used it remotely (I use it mostly over  the LAN) all the time as well, no lockups, nice screen, etc.

34401A is what it is. I have a later HP-era unit. Mine has only GPIB and I don't have the hardware to control it. It gets used a lot less than the Siglent because of this. (My test setups are often separate from where I work). I also don't need the 6.5 digits.

Offline octalTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2023, 01:27:07 am »
Is the 34401A branded as HP, or Agilent? If HP, is it the more recent architecture (red+black input jacks) or the old one (all red inputs)?

If it's an Agilent or more recent HP, and the VFD is nice and bright and even, I'd have to go with the 34401A. It's a classic and rock solid instrument and the additional cost is negligible even if you don't think you need 6.5 digits. Remember that with any of these high precision meters you basically have to discount the last digit. So with a 5.5 digit meter you're really getting 4.5 digits of useful measurement, and with a 6.5 digit you're getting 5.5 digits useable. Also, I've never cared for Rigol's DMMs.

Now if it's the oldest model HP, or if the other choice were, say, a Siglent SDM3055X (maybe?) or 3065X (almost definitely?), then I'd probably lean towards the other choice.

Disclaimer: I have both an Agilent 34401A and a Siglent SDM3065X. I love them both. :D
Looks like it's the old HP one, with all red jacks

Offline laichh

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2023, 02:32:06 am »
Well, what's wrong with a HP all red terminals 34401A?

Offline Veteran68

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2023, 03:27:58 am »
Well, what's wrong with a HP all red terminals 34401A?

Nothing inherently wrong, they're just the oldest generation, more likely to fail sooner, and have an unobtanium display controller should it ever need to be replaced (which is a not uncommon failure). The later models used a different VFD controller which you can still source. The VFDs do fade or become uneven over time so the oldest ones also tend to have the worst displays. From the picture above, maybe it's just lighting or camera angle, but notice how the left side of the display is brighter than the right side.

If it's in good shape even the older 34401A is probably a good buy at 270 euro/dollars.

BTW mine is of the earlier Agilent vintage, with red+black inputs but still the square buttons instead of the later round buttons. My VFD is still very readable but sometimes I'll get spurious segments show up, which is a sign I probably need to replace the controller chip. I bought a new controller and a spare VFD but haven't installed them yet as the original is still serviceable. I just wanted to have something on hand in case it dies on me, or else I'm just bored and looking for a rainy day project. I also since got the SDS3065X which means I use the 34401A less often.

Offline guenthert

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2023, 09:08:52 am »
Does the Rigol have a fan?  I can't see one on the pictures, but the service manual refers to such.   :-//

I got an Agilent 34410A and the fan is annoying.  For bench use I prefer the older, slower 34401A.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf