Author Topic: Efinix toolchain is now free !!  (Read 4644 times)

Offline mon2Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor

Offline up8051

• Frequent Contributor

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
Re: Efinix toolchain is now free !!
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 08:15:55 pm »
Isn't it based on Yosys? Or am I confusing with another vendor?

Online glenenglish

• Frequent Contributor
  • RF engineer. AI6UM / VK1XX . Aviation pilot. MTBr
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2023, 11:00:13 pm »
No big deal.
you just had to buy a $50 eval kit .

If a $50 eval kit is stopping you, then you cannot afford to play with FPGAs....
-glen

Offline mtwieg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 12:43:46 pm »
It's still an extremely bizarre business practice. If I'm looking to get into low/mid range FPGAs, and I have 3-4 decent options in front of me, I probably won't have time to evaluate all of them. A small obstacle like this could easily be enough reason for Efinix to not make the cut.

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 01:02:05 pm »
No big deal.

If a $50 eval kit is stopping you, then you cannot afford to play with FPGAs....
-glen
If you only had to buy an eval kit for 50 EUR, might as well remove the license and make it a freeware.
There are always issues with licenses. Like you want to run it on more than 1 PC, compile on a server, VM it, or loose the dongle. And then it's a trip to customer service, delays and annoyance.
The worst is when the license crap was written to windows 98 and nothing works from it anymore.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2023, 02:21:13 pm »
1) The license is free.

2) There are no security key dongles required.

3) The license can run on any machine or multiple.

4) The updates are available for 1 year with a valid license. After this time period expires, you can request another free updated license.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2023, 07:56:03 pm »
4) The updates are available for 1 year with a valid license. After this time period expires, you can request another free updated license.
Yeah, we've all seen this game. "oh, you want to extend your license. We would like to inform you that one of our top managers has developed a bad itch in his private parts, and as a result he decided to change license conditions, and now you need to sign away your kidney to us in order to extend the license. Oh, and by the way the free license now only allows you to run a synthesis, so you've got to pay $OMG in order to actually create a bitstream".
Sorry, but more and more people don't buy this BS anymore. Of all FPGA vendors Xilinx/AMD has the best licensing scheme, when you can export your license into a file and use it till the rest of times even if entire Xilinx/AMD company vanishes into the ether tomorrow. I for one will never even consider using such "free" software for anything important. And neither should you!

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2023, 08:13:13 pm »
Thank you, you just made my point for me.

Offline julian1

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2023, 10:56:53 pm »
Can it be targeted with yosys directly? What's needed for flashing the bitstream?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2023, 11:46:06 pm »
Yeah, we've all seen this game. "oh, you want to extend your license. We would like to inform you that one of our top managers has developed a bad itch in his private parts, and as a result he decided to change license conditions, and now you need to sign away your kidney to us in order to extend the license. Oh, and by the way the free license now only allows you to run a synthesis, so you've got to pay $OMG in order to actually create a bitstream".
Sorry, but more and more people don't buy this BS anymore. Of all FPGA vendors Xilinx/AMD has the best licensing scheme, when you can export your license into a file and use it till the rest of times even if entire Xilinx/AMD company vanishes into the ether tomorrow. I for one will never even consider using such "free" software for anything important. And neither should you!
I have not tested it but the way I read & understand the Efinix license is that the license itself doesn't expire. So it should allow the use of the tools without a time limit. You only need to fill out the forms again if you want a software update after more than a year. The latter sounds like nothing more than collecting information about their users. Either way, it would be nice if someone can actually verify how long the license can be used before making assumptions.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2023, 02:52:54 pm »
My small complaint against YOSYS is that encrypted IP sections cannot be applied into the project. At least that is what we have seen with the YOSYS and the Gowin support. Otherwise, it is a great tool.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2023, 12:57:39 pm »
Yes, the license allows for the tool upgrades but the tool chain does not expire. If you require updates after the 1 year license expires, then ping them for another free license. Was not aware of the bitmap tool generation having any restrictions but will ask once we are back to this project again. BTW - do ask your local factory reps for the same clarifications at Efinix. The support has been excellent for the USA team. They also have an active support forum on their website where you can raise your concerns. Hearing it from the grapevine is not recommended.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023, 04:51:31 pm »
No big deal.

-glen

When you work in a company, all purchases have to be approved.  Even a $50 throw away board needs a signature. 

Don't be silly.  Your needs are not the same as everyone else's.
Rick C.  --  Puerto Rico is not a country... It's part of the USA
  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
  - Tesla referral code - https://ts.la/richard11209

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 05:05:29 pm »
I was trying to log into the support center to see about getting a license and I can't get in.  They won't let me create a new account with the same email and they won't let me reset the password using the email.  It says to "contact your administrator".  They don't answer their phone in California, even after 10 am their time.  I had to leave a message.  When do you think they will get back to me?

Maybe I don't want to use their parts after all.   :P

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2023, 05:08:18 pm »
It's still an extremely bizarre business practice. If I'm looking to get into low/mid range FPGAs, and I have 3-4 decent options in front of me, I probably won't have time to evaluate all of them. A small obstacle like this could easily be enough reason for Efinix to not make the cut.

When you say you have multiple decent options in front of you... which ones are they?  I find it very hard to find product still.  I need to build 1500 units this year and have zero confidence in using parts from anyone other than Efinix.  I might be able to work with a Lattice part, but not the ones I'd like to use.  Every time I check stock of Xilinx or Altera, I am scraping the bottom of the barrel.

The reason a company does this, is to eliminate the small time users and hobbyists.  They are still new, and want to focus on the larger customers. 

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2023, 05:11:54 pm »
1) The license is free.

2) There are no security key dongles required.

3) The license can run on any machine or multiple.

I used to do this with Lattice.  The problem I would have was I would always be starting a new project on a weekend and had to wait until Monday to get the license updated, which often took a day.  It sucks, but I could have kept the license updated if I bothered to give it enough attention.

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2023, 05:14:57 pm »
Thank you, you just made my point for me.

I don't get your concern.  Even if you pay for the tools from Xilinx or Altera, they make you download a new license file every year.

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2023, 05:38:25 pm »
I don't get your concern.  Even if you pay for the tools from Xilinx or Altera, they make you download a new license file every year.
Not with Xilinx for sure. I still use my K325T license I got like 4 years ago, never needed to "download" anything.

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2023, 06:19:03 pm »
Not with Xilinx for sure. I still use my K325T license I got like 4 years ago, never needed to "download" anything.

Ok, but you don't get updates, right?

Offline asmi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2023, 06:43:21 pm »
No, because I chose to not extend the license.

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2023, 07:25:26 pm »
No, because I chose to not extend the license.

Exactly

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2023, 10:22:00 am »
Re: post #16

Let me clarify, even if the license expires, the tool chain does not. You can continue to operate the tools and the programmer. You just cannot download the latest updates / patches (till you have an active license in place).

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline SiliconWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2023, 07:44:26 pm »
I haven't taken a close look at Efinix license stuff, but I would find it a bit odd that said license could even expire while the whole toolchain is based on open-source tools.
Anyway.

Offline gnuarm

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2023, 03:53:38 am »
I think I was not hitting on all cylinders.  I didn't realize that Efinix is now giving the tools away, no license required, full stop!  From a recent email from their support guy.

FPGA development made easy.  No license needed, install the app where you need it, it will work forever.  No timeout.

It's hard to beat that!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf