Author Topic: Altera USB Blaster works only once  (Read 17684 times)

Offline Volta500Topic starter

• Contributor
Altera USB Blaster works only once
« on: October 11, 2013, 09:12:38 am »
Hello all,
I have just boldly started my adventure into FPGA's and almost immediately ran in to a problem: The JTAG programmer only works one time, then I have to remove and replug the USB cable for ONE more programming cycle. Replugging JTAG or repowering FPGA dev board has no effect. Quartus II produces the error "Error (209037): JTAG Server can't access selected programming hardware" the second time. In other words: Connect USB blaster to computer, Program OK, second time programming FAIL, replug usb, program OK, second time program FAIL etc etc.
FPGA is Altera Cyclone II EP2C5Q208, one cheap ebay USB blaster (problem?), Computer is 2.4GHz i7 with 24GB of ram running Kubuntu 13.04 64bit and Quartus II 13.0SP1 web edition.
I suspect that there is a problem with the usb driver on my computer in that it doesn't release the USB after it is done programming. Killing and restarting jtagd does not solve the problem. 
If really necessary I do have windows available in dual boot but I'd rather have it working under Linux. Although I might install Quartus under windows just to see if the problem persists, if it doesn't, it is certain that the problem is in the Linux USB driver.
It happens no matter if I run Quartus as root or normal user, and because it does work, I do not believe it is caused by insufficient permissions.

I might also ask this at a linux forum, but it is also electronics related so decided to post here.

EDIT: I just tried it on windows 7 and no problem at all, so this is a linux related issue. Im still hoping for a linux guru on the forum here to have a solution. Else I will have to try my luck on a linux forum.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 07:38:17 pm by Volta500 »

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
Re: Altera USB Blaster works only once
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 11:59:21 pm »
Throw out your usb blaster ripoff and buy a clone (or original) with the same internal parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altera-FPGA-CPLD-USB-Blaster-programmer-JTAG-cable-/280506472755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414f7d1933

All the other ones uses a fx2 , requires the computer to handle instant re-enumeration which Linux still seems to have a problem with.
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

Offline os40la

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:46:28 am »
Throw out your usb blaster ripoff and buy a clone (or original) with the same internal parts
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Altera-FPGA-CPLD-USB-Blaster-programmer-JTAG-cable-/280506472755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item414f7d1933

All the other ones uses a fx2 , requires the computer to handle instant re-enumeration which Linux still seems to have a problem with.

Or throw out your Linux and go with windows.  :-//
"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:59:56 am »
I thought this thread was interesting before that comment, now, I just can't look away... ;)
oh wait, it's not a linux forum..  >:D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 01:04:41 am by tehmeme »

Offline os40la

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 03:48:04 am »
Funny thing is.... I'm a MAC user running windows.  :-+
"No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express"

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 09:31:24 am »
I never understood folks who insist on multi-platform development: I have never ran into a firm that exclusively uses linux for mcu development.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 04:29:56 pm »
Ok, thanks for all the replies. I guess I was a bit too much of a cheapskate getting the chinese USBBlaster.  :palm:

Is this one eBay auction: #111157605161 okay? It is a lot closer to me so I don't have to wait another three weeks for it to arrive, and UK tends to be more reliable than china, although it has been proven otherwise.

By the way, could this be the same reason why my PICKit 3 after a few times programming gives me the connection failed error? Unplugging and repluging does not solve it, only way to get it working again is switch usb ports (gets annoying after you run out of ports) or reboot the machine. Other port in same usb hub does not help.
It is not that critical as it doesn't happen that often and is easily fixed, but can be very annoying.

Not gonna happen for reasons I will not discuss here and now. Jump to a Linux forum if you insist on having a epic rant coming your way  :rant:

Offline tehmeme

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 05:37:03 pm »
Out of curiosity, what version of libusb are you using?

After a brief search on the fx2 / instant re-enumiration / linux, there seem to be some suggestions that there were patches (results prior to 2012) and more recent suggestions that the latest libusb has this issue fixed.

I have not linked to any of the results because there is no confirmation of neither a positive nor negative resolution to this issue, just hearsay.

Not sure if this helps or adds to the problem. :/

Edit: Of course if you can afford it, Marshallh's suggestion to get clone/original might be the least bothersome solution.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 05:40:31 pm by tehmeme »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 05:48:28 pm »
older versions of libusb certainly had issues on certain chipsets, certain devices and certain motherboards. Fun fun fun, such that I have a desktop shortcut script to kill it and restart it and Hald if needed.

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, 08:31:51 am »
Out of curiosity, what version of libusb are you using?

After a brief search on the fx2 / instant re-enumiration / linux, there seem to be some suggestions that there were patches (results prior to 2012) and more recent suggestions that the latest libusb has this issue fixed.

I have not linked to any of the results because there is no confirmation of neither a positive nor negative resolution to this issue, just hearsay.

Not sure if this helps or adds to the problem. :/

Edit: Of course if you can afford it, Marshallh's suggestion to get clone/original might be the least bothersome solution.

$ libusb-config --version
Or do did you mean something else?
I install upgrades at least once a week so it can't be to outdated unless the repository is not up to date.
BTW, chipset is a Intel Mobile HM77, in a MSI GT-60

Ill probably get the clone, I already have enough trouble getting my projects to work so I the last thing I need is a programmer not doing what it is supposed to do. Right now I am not asking too much from it but later on with NIOS II debugging/SignalTap I do not want to spend weeks debugging a perfectly fine project which gets bugs injected through the programmer/debugger.

Is this the proper one?  eBay auction: #111157605161

When I get home I will try to program again and check dmesg if it says anything interesting. Are there any other log files that may contain useful info?

EDIT: After some searching I discovered that there is a newer version of LIBUSB installed: libusb-1.0-0, but am a bit reluctant to switch. I want to make a good diskimage before tampering with critical system functionality like USB.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:12:25 pm by Volta500 »

Offline Crazy Ape

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 03:28:23 pm »
Have you told udev what to do with the device?

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 04:03:19 pm »
libusb 0.1.12 is rather ancient, and could very well be the source of your issues.

Anyways, it depends on what your whatever-the-tool links against. In that regard running  libusb-config  --version is a bit misleading. Case in point, I also have that very ancient version on my dev machine for use with an ancient tool. But for all the normal stuff I have libusb-1.x Since I don't know exactly what distro you're running, you can do:

apt-cache search libusb-1.

Assuming you have apt ofcourse. If you don't get apt. :P

Then something like:
apt-get install libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev

That gets you libusb-1.x + dev files on your system, if it's not there already.

At any rate, you want to check your whatever-it-is-tool to see what usb lib it's using:
ldd $(which whatever-it-is-tool)

Chances are that it's not using 0.1 but actually is using 1.0, but who knows...

udev is another good point. To make sure it's not user permission related you could try running whatever-it-is-tool as root and see if that magically solves it. If yes ==> fix permissions.

Just noticed this:
fter some searching I discovered that there is a newer version of LIBUSB installed: libusb-1.0-0, but am a bit reluctant to switch. I want to make a good diskimage before tampering with critical system functionality like USB.

There is no "switching". Either your whatever-it-is-tool is linked against it, or it isn't. You cannot "switch" between major versions like 0.1 and 1.0. At best you could switch between say 1.0.0 and 1.0.8 if you wanted to.

Anyways, the executive summary is to do:

My money is on it being linked against 1.0. If it's linked against 0.1 you should get rid of that tool asap and get something from this millenium. :P

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, 08:46:44 pm »
libusb 0.1.12 is rather ancient, and could very well be the source of your issues.

Anyways, it depends on what your whatever-the-tool links against. In that regard running  libusb-config  --version is a bit misleading. Case in point, I also have that very ancient version on my dev machine for use with an ancient tool. But for all the normal stuff I have libusb-1.x Since I don't know exactly what distro you're running, you can do:

apt-cache search libusb-1.

Assuming you have apt ofcourse. If you don't get apt. :P

Then something like:
apt-get install libusb-1.0-0 libusb-1.0-0-dev

That gets you libusb-1.x + dev files on your system, if it's not there already.

At any rate, you want to check your whatever-it-is-tool to see what usb lib it's using:

Chances are that it's not using 0.1 but actually is using 1.0, but who knows...

udev is another good point. To make sure it's not user permission related you could try running whatever-it-is-tool as root and see if that magically solves it. If yes ==> fix permissions.

Just noticed this:
fter some searching I discovered that there is a newer version of LIBUSB installed: libusb-1.0-0, but am a bit reluctant to switch. I want to make a good diskimage before tampering with critical system functionality like USB.

There is no "switching". Either your whatever-it-is-tool is linked against it, or it isn't. You cannot "switch" between major versions like 0.1 and 1.0. At best you could switch between say 1.0.0 and 1.0.8 if you wanted to.

Anyways, the executive summary is to do:

My money is on it being linked against 1.0. If it's linked against 0.1 you should get rid of that tool asap and get something from this millenium. :P

Check my first post, it will say that I am using Kubuntu 13.04 64bit. It also specifies the machine. TLDR?
Libusb-1.0-0 and ""dev is already installed.

The programming tool i'm using is part of Quartus II 13.0SP1

/media/Data/Altera/quartus/bin$ ldd quartus_pgm
        not a dynamic executable
/media/Data/Altera/quartus/bin$ ldd quartus_pgmw
        not a dynamic executable
/media/Data/Altera/quartus/bin$ ldd quartus
        not a dynamic executable

And for the sake of it MPLAB IPE PIC programmer
~$ ldd /usr/bin/mplab_ipe
        not a dynamic executable

Something I should do first? Have not really used ldd command before

Oh I love some good linux troubleshooting in the night, as long as troubles actually get shot. Not missed.  :-/O

And
$ sudo ./quartus_pgmw same problem. Status LED does not come on. I have fixed the permission like described elsewhere.  And if it is a permissions issue I would expect it not to work at all.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:51:08 pm by Volta500 »

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, 09:46:44 pm »
Indeed too lazy didn't read. ;) I missed the kubuntu part. Not that it tells me all that much now (don't follow ubuntu version numbers) except that it's ubuntu based and thus debian based and thus you'll have apt-get. ;)

At any rate ... ldd ==> not a dynamic executable. Yeah, that will teach me to be lazy. I was thinking of mentioning it, but naaah, lets first see what we get. Anyways, the not a dynamic executable means it's probably a script. So you'll have to read the script to see what binary gets called, and then do ldd for that binary.

That or run a strace, but the output might take some getting used to. ;)

As for permissions ... nope, there are some sneaky permission things that can go wrong, but never mind those. If you sudo it, then that should take care of that.

So switching usb ports helps, but if you use diff port on same hub then it's a nogo. That's curious. Does this also apply to root hubs (so diff chipsets on same motherboard), or only hubs in the form of a physical device you plug into usb port?

Sounds a bit like it doesn't want to enumerate for the 2nd time. If you do dmesg and then plug in, out, in ... do you get proper messages?

Oh, wait. This is a cheapo random parts clone, right? How about boot into windows, install stuff and see if it works properly there.

Mmmmh, or the ever popular: plug hub into port, plug crapblaster into port. works. remove hub + replug hub in same port, see if it works. That might just change enumeration, but who knows.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 02:00:38 pm »
Do not confuse the crappy Altera blaster with the PICKit3! The PICKit works most of the time, but sometimes it gives connection failed, unplug replug does not help, switch port in third hub (Electronics bench has a hub, coming of main hub, coming off computer) Replug in second hub also does not seem to help, only option is to plug it into new hub on the computer. Screenshot of usb config is attached. I don't recall the exact error message but it was something like cannot enumerate device. Ill post it after recreating the error again. It does not happen that often so it is livable. The PICKit is the original, straight from Microchip, no clone shit there.

The real problem is that crappy blaster  :-\
It took some digging but eventually found the executables, and there are a LOT of dependencies, and quite a few of them have not been met
Code: [Select]
Programmer command line
/media/Data/Altera/quartus/linux64$ ldd quartus_pgm
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fffa21fe000)
        libcomp_qexe.so => not found
        libpgm_pgme.so => not found
        libsld_hapi.so => not found
        libpgm_pgmio.so => not found
        libddb_dmgr.so => not found
        libddb_dpow.so => not found
        libddb_dtm.so => not found
        libddb_dygr.so => not found
        libddb_d7k.so => not found
        libpgm_pgmio_aes.so => not found
        libpgm_jbc2.so => not found
        libpgm_common.so => not found
        libccl_mio.so => not found
        libdb_acf.so => not found
        libccl_ntfq.so => not found
        libccl_ntf.so => not found
        libddb_dev.so => not found
        libatm_astr.so => not found
        libdb_wys.so => not found
        libddb_dstr.so => not found
        libccl_dyn.so => not found
        libdb_dbs.so => not found
        libccl_qsym.so => not found
        libsys_tb2.so => not found
        libsys_cpt.so => not found
        libccl_ipc.so => not found
        libpgm_ufp.so => not found
        libpgm_ufp_common.so => not found
        libccl_msg.so => not found
        libccl_xml.so => not found
        libaxerces-c.so.26 => not found
        libccl_sqlite3.so => not found
        libccl_put.so => not found
        libccl_interface.so => not found
        libccl_big.so => not found
        libdb_pdb.so => not found
        libccl_tst.so => not found
        libccl_clw.so => not found
        libccl_atcl.so => not found
        libccl_fstr.so => not found
        libccl_qtl.so => not found
        libccl_cfg_ini.so => not found
        libccl_zlib.so => not found
        libccl_gen.so => not found
        libccl_fio.so => not found
        libccl_err.so => not found
        libccl_ver.so => not found
        libccl_thr.so => not found
        libccl_mem_native.so => not found
        libpgm_gdb.so => not found
        libjtag_client.so => not found
        libdinkum_alt.so => not found
        libtcl8.5.so => not found
        libitcl3.4.so => not found
        libicudata.so.34 => not found
        libicuuc.so.34 => not found
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnsl.so.1 (0x00007f5034704000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007f50344fc000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007f50342df000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007f50340da000)
        libtbbmalloc_proxy.so.2 => not found
        libtbbmalloc.so.2 => not found
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007f5033dd6000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007f5033ad1000)
        libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00007f50338c2000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007f50336ab000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007f50332e3000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007f5034959000)

Programmer GUI
/media/Data/Altera/quartus/linux64$ ldd quartus_pgmw
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff45bfe000)
        libsys_qui.so => not found
        libsld_ice.so => not found
        libdb_vdb.so => not found
        libsld_chi.so => not found
        libmlib_int.so => not found
        libsld_atcio.so => not found
        libsld_sdr.so => not found
        libsld_sci.so => not found
        libmega_ipqx.so => not found
        libsys_flow.so => not found
        libdb_idu.so => not found
        libsys_hcu.so => not found
        libsys_flow_util.so => not found
        libsaui_eui.so => not found
        libtpi_eti.so => not found
        libsys_cloud.so => not found
        libsys_proj.so => not found
        libsys_pjc.so => not found
        libsys_cpt_hdb.so => not found
        libccl_curl.so => not found
        libgcl_gtoq.so => not found
        libgcl_cglq.so => not found
        libgcl_afcq.so => not found
        libgcl_afcq_tb2.so => not found
        libgcl_cfgq.so => not found
        libccl_txml.so => not found
        libdb_rdb.so => not found
        libdb_rstr.so => not found
        libdb_hdb.so => not found
        libdb_dbm.so => not found
        libdb_dbmui.so => not found
        libccl_bat.so => not found
        libQtGui.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtGui.so.4 (0x00007fc86d2e7000)
        libQtCore.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4 (0x00007fc86ce10000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnsl.so.1 (0x00007fc86cbf4000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007fc86c9eb000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fc86c7ce000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fc86c5ca000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007fc86c2c6000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007fc86bfc0000)
        libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00007fc86bdb1000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007fc86bb9b000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007fc86b7d2000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fc86dfd5000)
        libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x00007fc86b598000)
        libaudio.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libaudio.so.2 (0x00007fc86b380000)
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007fc86b083000)
        libpng12.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0 (0x00007fc86ae5d000)
        libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007fc86ac46000)
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00007fc86a9a8000)
        libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0x00007fc86a759000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so.6 (0x00007fc86a551000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libICE.so.6 (0x00007fc86a334000)
        libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXi.so.6 (0x00007fc86a124000)
        libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXrender.so.1 (0x00007fc869f1a000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00007fc869d07000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007fc8699cd000)
        libexpat.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1 (0x00007fc8697a3000)
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXt.so.6 (0x00007fc86953d000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00007fc869339000)
        libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007fc8690f9000)
        libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007fc868ef1000)
        libuuid.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1 (0x00007fc868cec000)
        libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007fc868acd000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007fc8688c7000)

Quartus
/media/Data/Altera/quartus/linux64$ ldd quartus
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff80541000)
        libsys_ictq.so => not found
        libsys_qgq.so => not found
        libsys_qui.so => not found
        libsld_ice.so => not found
        libdb_vdb.so => not found
        libsld_chi.so => not found
        libmlib_int.so => not found
        libsld_atcio.so => not found
        libsld_sdr.so => not found
        libsld_sci.so => not found
        libmega_ipqx.so => not found
        libsys_flow.so => not found
        libdb_idu.so => not found
        libsys_hcu.so => not found
        libsys_flow_util.so => not found
        libsaui_eui.so => not found
        libtpi_eti.so => not found
        libsys_cloud.so => not found
        libsys_proj.so => not found
        libsys_pjc.so => not found
        libsys_cpt_hdb.so => not found
        libccl_curl.so => not found
        libgcl_gtoq.so => not found
        libgcl_cglq.so => not found
        libgcl_afcq.so => not found
        libgcl_afcq_tb2.so => not found
        libgcl_cfgq.so => not found
        libccl_txml.so => not found
        libdb_rdb.so => not found
        libdb_rstr.so => not found
        libdb_hdb.so => not found
        libdb_dbm.so => not found
        libdb_dbmui.so => not found
        libccl_bat.so => not found
        libQtGui.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtGui.so.4 (0x00007fbf77f43000)
        libQtCore.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtCore.so.4 (0x00007fbf77a6c000)
        libQtSvg.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtSvg.so.4 (0x00007fbf77816000)
        libQtWebKit.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtWebKit.so.4 (0x00007fbf754ec000)
        libQtNetwork.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtNetwork.so.4 (0x00007fbf751ad000)
        libQtXmlPatterns.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtXmlPatterns.so.4 (0x00007fbf74b67000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnsl.so.1 (0x00007fbf7494b000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007fbf74742000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007fbf74525000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007fbf74321000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007fbf7401d000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007fbf73d17000)
        libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00007fbf73b08000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007fbf738f2000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007fbf73529000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007fbf78c32000)
        libfontconfig.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfontconfig.so.1 (0x00007fbf732ef000)
        libaudio.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libaudio.so.2 (0x00007fbf730d7000)
        libglib-2.0.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglib-2.0.so.0 (0x00007fbf72dda000)
        libpng12.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng12.so.0 (0x00007fbf72bb4000)
        libz.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1 (0x00007fbf7299d000)
        libfreetype.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libfreetype.so.6 (0x00007fbf726ff000)
        libgobject-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgobject-2.0.so.0 (0x00007fbf724b0000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libSM.so.6 (0x00007fbf722a8000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libICE.so.6 (0x00007fbf7208b000)
        libXi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXi.so.6 (0x00007fbf71e7b000)
        libXrender.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXrender.so.1 (0x00007fbf71c71000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXext.so.6 (0x00007fbf71a5e000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11.so.6 (0x00007fbf71724000)
        libjpeg.so.8 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libjpeg.so.8 (0x00007fbf714d2000)
        libxslt.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxslt.so.1 (0x00007fbf71296000)
        libgstapp-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstapp-0.10.so.0 (0x00007fbf7108a000)
        libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstinterfaces-0.10.so.0 (0x00007fbf70e77000)
        libgstpbutils-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstpbutils-0.10.so.0 (0x00007fbf70c53000)
        libgstvideo-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstvideo-0.10.so.0 (0x00007fbf70a37000)
        libgstbase-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstbase-0.10.so.0 (0x00007fbf707e2000)
        libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgstreamer-0.10.so.0 (0x00007fbf704fc000)
        libxml2.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2 (0x00007fbf70199000)
        libsqlite3.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libsqlite3.so.0 (0x00007fbf6feec000)
        libQtOpenGL.so.4 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libQtOpenGL.so.4 (0x00007fbf6fbee000)
        libGL.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/mesa/libGL.so.1 (0x00007fbf6f990000)
        libexpat.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libexpat.so.1 (0x00007fbf6f766000)
        libXt.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXt.so.6 (0x00007fbf6f500000)
        libXau.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXau.so.6 (0x00007fbf6f2fb000)
        libpcre.so.3 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpcre.so.3 (0x00007fbf6f0bc000)
        libffi.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libffi.so.6 (0x00007fbf6eeb4000)
        libuuid.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libuuid.so.1 (0x00007fbf6ecae000)
        libxcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1 (0x00007fbf6ea90000)
        liborc-0.4.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liborc-0.4.so.0 (0x00007fbf6e811000)
        libgmodule-2.0.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgmodule-2.0.so.0 (0x00007fbf6e60d000)
        liblzma.so.5 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblzma.so.5 (0x00007fbf6e3ea000)
        libglapi.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libglapi.so.0 (0x00007fbf6e1c4000)
        libXdamage.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdamage.so.1 (0x00007fbf6dfc0000)
        libXfixes.so.3 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXfixes.so.3 (0x00007fbf6ddba000)
        libX11-xcb.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libX11-xcb.so.1 (0x00007fbf6dbb8000)
        libxcb-glx.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-glx.so.0 (0x00007fbf6d9a1000)
        libxcb-dri2.so.0 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-dri2.so.0 (0x00007fbf6d79b000)
        libXxf86vm.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXxf86vm.so.1 (0x00007fbf6d595000)
        libdrm.so.2 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdrm.so.2 (0x00007fbf6d38a000)
        libXdmcp.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libXdmcp.so.6 (0x00007fbf6d183000)

JTAG Deamon
media/Data/Altera/quartus/linux64$ ldd jtagd
        linux-vdso.so.1 =>  (0x00007fff63943000)
        libnsl.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libnsl.so.1 (0x00007ff54d8e7000)
        librt.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librt.so.1 (0x00007ff54d6df000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpthread.so.0 (0x00007ff54d4c2000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libdl.so.2 (0x00007ff54d2bd000)
        libstdc++.so.6 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 (0x00007ff54cfb9000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libm.so.6 (0x00007ff54ccb4000)
        libgomp.so.1 => /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgomp.so.1 (0x00007ff54caa5000)
        libgcc_s.so.1 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libgcc_s.so.1 (0x00007ff54c88e000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (0x00007ff54c4c6000)
        /lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 (0x00007ff54db2b000)

None of them contain usb so
/media/Data/Altera/quartus/linux64$ ldd * | grep usb
libsld_usbjni.so:

or
/media/Data/Altera/quartus/linux64$ ldd * | grep USB

And a few errors complaining that a folder is not a regular file  ;D

Nothing contains the usb .so file?!?
I have left all of the not founds, maybe that is the problem?

alm

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 02:51:17 pm »
Not likely, it wouldn't be executed unless all dependencies were satisfied by the linker. Most likely one of the scripts calling it sets $LD_LIBRARY_PATH to a Quartus folder containing these libs.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 02:52:16 pm »
Do not confuse the crappy Altera blaster with the PICKit3! The PICKit works most of the time, but sometimes it gives connection failed, ...

I don't have a pickit, so no confusion there. The above was just regular troubleshooting in case of crappy usb devices.

All those "not founds" won't be the problem. In those scripts you went through it'll set up an LD_LIBRARY_PATH that points to wherever those .so files reside. Those libraries will be part of the Quartus install.

cd <WHEREVER_QUARTUS_HOME_IS>
find . -name 'lib*.so*'

That should find you a bunch of those libs. Anyways, it looks like it uses usbjni to do it's thing (libsld_usbjni.so). That would seem to imply there being a usbjni.dll in the windows counterpart. No experience with that one, sorry...  At this point you probably would have to run a strace to figure out what's going wrong. Or maybe someone on here that actually has Quartus installed on their linux box. I've got ISE here, sorry...

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 02:57:14 pm »
That, or verify if the hardware works properly with a windows install of Quartus. It's what I would do at this point. :P

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 04:23:05 pm »
That, or verify if the hardware works properly with a windows install of Quartus. It's what I would do at this point. :P
Again, it is in my first post  ::) It works perfectly under windows.
I try to put as much information as possible in the first post, so it is there and readily accessible, or that is what i thought  :palm:

All those "not founds" won't be the problem. In those scripts you went through it'll set up an LD_LIBRARY_PATH that points to wherever those .so files reside. Those libraries will be part of the Quartus install.

cd <WHEREVER_QUARTUS_HOME_IS>
find . -name 'lib*.so*'

Ah, of course there are a lot of custom libs that ldd cannot find. Didn't think of that.

That should find you a bunch of those libs. Anyways, it looks like it uses usbjni to do it's thing (libsld_usbjni.so). That would seem to imply there being a usbjni.dll in the windows counterpart. No experience with that one, sorry...  At this point you probably would have to run a strace to figure out what's going wrong. Or maybe someone on here that actually has Quartus installed on their linux box. I've got ISE here, sorry...

Do you think getting the better blaster, like eBay auction: #111157605161 would solve it? If it does, that seems like the best way to go. Using a cheap piece of CrapBlaster. Even if we succeed in getting the cheap one to work, who knows how many other problems it will cause later on that will be more difficult to spot and leave you debugging 'till the next blue moon.

Offline mrflibble

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 05:20:42 pm »
Again, it is in my first post
doh!

Do you think getting the better blaster, like eBay auction: #111157605161 would solve it? If it does, that seems like the best way to go. Using a cheap piece of CrapBlaster. Even if we succeed in getting the cheap one to work, who knows how many other problems it will cause later on that will be more difficult to spot and leave you debugging 'till the next blue moon.

I don't know how crap your crapblaster is, soooo no idea. Maybe someone else on here that has the same one and the same problems? I'd try to think of something else, but it's probably already in your first post. :P

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 10:19:24 pm »
Again, it is in my first post
doh!

I don't know how crap your crapblaster is, soooo no idea. Maybe someone else on here that has the same one and the same problems? I'd try to think of something else, but it's probably already in your first post. :P

Then I will await their response. I do not mind getting a better blaster, if it really is better! Not just some weird-ass usb problem with my computer and the usb blaster is just more picky than other devices, and getting a other blaster will have no effect. That is, assuming that this carpblaster does not have other issues as well  ::) It could also be the same issue as with the PICKit 3, although that is the original.

But thanks for your advice anyways! At least I have learned something about Linux and USB.

Oh, and sometimes, it is quicker to read posts, instead of asking the known  ^-^

Offline marshallh

• Supporter
    • retroactive
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2013, 10:40:11 pm »
that ebay auction you linked is a newer revision... I can't tell from the picture if they cost optimized the parts or not... only way to know is to open ti up and take pictures. They might have moved parts onto tbe back.... but maybe they re-did it with a MCU or something (bad)
Verilog tips
BGA soldering intro

11:37 <@ktemkin> c4757p: marshall has transcended communications media
11:37 <@ktemkin> He speaks protocols directly.

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 02:28:46 pm »
that ebay auction you linked is a newer revision... I can't tell from the picture if they cost optimized the parts or not... only way to know is to open ti up and take pictures. They might have moved parts onto tbe back.... but maybe they re-did it with a MCU or something (bad)
So the best option would be to get eBay auction: #280506472755 and be done with it?
You may be right about that other ebay auction being the bad version: it says rev.c, as does my crapblaster. Maybe that is just a different board design with the same components. I cracked open my bad one and found what looks like a microcontroller with the markings thoroughly rubbed of  :-- and a classic 74HC244 Line driver :wtf: Is that really necessary? Otherwise the construction looks acceptable. Except for the 10-pin JTAG connector wich is hand-soldered directly to surface mount pads, although the soldering is not bad.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf